• Penne with broccoli and baby bella mushrooms

by Ellen on April 3, 2006 · 6 comments

Pasta by any other name is still pasta. Brown rice pasta or wheat pasta? Matters not, in my new Celiac book. It’s still pasta. And even better still…it even tastes like the pasta I ate during my first 51 years of life! Quite honestly, with choices like this, I can barely complain about being a Celiac (only kidding). But really, if there was ever a time to be gluten intolerant, it’s now. There are so many wonderful choices to make that I rarely (well, ok, hardly ever) feel deprived. Do I have glutenous cravings now and then? Maybe once in awhile. Mostly when I’m at other people’s houses and I can’t eat what everyone else is eating. But I’m so busy learning about life as a Celiac and exploring all of the different culinary possibilities, that I hardly have time to mourn the loss.

I’ve been making this recipe for so many years that I don’t even need a recipe. Instead of using regular wheat pasta, I substituted brown rice pasta. I used Trader Joe’s brand, but after eating it, I like the Tinkyada brand better.

This is even better the next day when leftovers are tempting you, calling your name, coaxing you into eating it cold for breakfast, nuked for lunch, or as a snack mid-afternoon, helping you over the mid-day slump.

1 pound brown rice penne pasta
    1 – 2 tablespoons of olive oil
    one large clove of garlic, minced
    three chopped scallions
    one head of broccoli, stalks peeled, chopped into small pieces
    1 ten ounce package of baby bella mushrooms, cleaned and quartered
    red pepper flakes
    salt & pepper
    parmesan cheese

Cook the pasta according to the directions on the package. Be very careful not to overcook. Mushy rice pasta is quite unappetizing. Drain then run cold water over pasta to stop it from continuing to cook.

While the pasta is cooking, chop the broccoli and drop into boiling water for about 90 seconds. Drain and run cold water over it to stop it from continuing to cook.

Saute the garlic and scallions in olive oil. Adjust amount according to your taste preference. After about 1 minute, add the drained broccoli and mushrooms. Saute for about 3 minutes. Add red pepper flakes, salt & pepper to taste.

Pour drained pasta into large bowl. Add some olive oil to coat. Pour broccoli-mushroom mixture over pasta and mix well. Grate parmesan cheese over the top.

This hit the spot tonight. The only thing that could top it off and make it perfect 10 would be if I had a chocolate cookie for dessert. Hey, wait a minute. I have gluten free Pamela’s chocolate chocolate cookies upstairs. Excellent!

Zohreh April 3, 2006 at 11:14 pm

That looks delicious! Thanks for your comment on my blog. I’m now feeling hopeful about coping with no-gluten. Could you give me some tips on traveling and eating? My fiance and I are also musicians, and hotel rooms definitely don’t often have the capacity to cook. So far the only restaurant food I’ve managed to eat without a problem is Vietnamese cuisine. I’m not sure how many bowls of rice vermicelli I can take per day. Also, could you post the recipe for the bagels? I’ve been dreaming about bagels since you posted that picture!!

Hippy Nursey April 4, 2006 at 8:27 am

Yum! I love broccoli and portabella mushrooms! Isn’t it lovely how rice pasta really tastes no different than wheat pasta? I’ve found since I was dx with a wheat allergy, I’ve been eating a lot more pasta because it’s the one thing my husband doesn’t notice isn’t the “real stuff”.

Ellen April 4, 2006 at 10:13 am

Hi Zohreh…the bagels are made by Glutino and are called Premium Bagels. The ones I blogged about were plain bagels (not sesame or poppy). They can’t be ordered from the Glutino website, they can only be bought at stores. I got them at a Whole Foods. Glutino DOES have bagels at their website, but they’re not the same ones. I just spoke with a rep from Glutino and she explained that the ones I like are bigger than the ones at the website and they come in packages of 5. I just placed a standing order for them at our local health food store.

Next, regarding traveling….in short, it’s not easy, but I am getting into the hang of it. I will be blogging about it later today, with suggestions for how to make your traveling life as a Celiac easier.

And last, be careful in Vietnamese restaurants. We used to patronize a local one in Worcester at least twice a week (we LOVE the cuisine), but I continued to get my old stomach rumblings. Finally, I asked the owner to review their cooking techniques. Turns out they cooked the rice noodles in the same water as the wheat noodles. Duh. No wonder I couldn’t eat them without getting ill. They offered to cook them in their own pot, but we haven’t returned since then. Plus I like making Vietnamese food at home.

Be well! And thanks for your thoughts.

Ellen April 4, 2006 at 10:15 am

Hi Hippy Nursey….yup, we’ve been eating a lot more pasta also. And what could be better than broccoli and baby bellas!!! Have you found a brand of rice pasta that you prefer?

Anonymous May 15, 2006 at 8:28 am

Tinkyada Pasta Joy stone-ground rice pasta is definitely my favorite.

Karina March 31, 2007 at 10:42 am

Hi Ellen!

This looks fabulous. Thanks for your entry to our Gluten-Free Noodle Recipe Round-Up!

The blog looks great!