• Blueberry Muffins: Heavenly!

by Ellen on July 14, 2006 · 28 comments

For all of you non-believers, take note! You can bake gluten free and it will taste delicious. Furthermore, you will be hard-pressed to tell the difference between gluten free and non-gluten free, depending on the ingredients you use. Take these fabulous blueberry muffins that I made this morning. They were delicious. I’ve already scoffed down two and am keeping myself from going back into the kitchen for more.

The recipe comes from one of my most recent cookbook purchases, Gluten-Free Baking Classics by Annalise G. Roberts. I would highly recommend that you add this to your library. While I’ve only made one recipe from the book, I have an eye for good cookbooks, and this one is good, believe me.

The author recommends using extra fine brown rice flour from Authentic Foods, but I didn’t have any and really wanted to make the muffins, so I used Arrowhead Mills Organic Brown Rice Flour which wasn’t extra fine or at least it didn’t say so on the packaging.

Blueberry Muffins
    Makes 12 muffins

2 cups brown rice flour mix (see below)
    2/3 cup granulated sugar
    1 tablespoon baking powder
    1 teaspoon baking soda
    ¾ teaspoon xanthan gum
    ¼ teaspoon salt
    ¼ – ½ teaspoon nutmeg (to taste)
    1 ½ cups unsweetened fresh blueberries (I used frozen, undefrosted)
    ½ cup milk (I used vanilla flavored almond milk)
    ½ cup canola oil
    2 large eggs
    ½ teaspoon pure vanilla extract
    Cinnamon sugar for garnish or optional streusel topping (I used the streusel topping)

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Position rack in center of oven. Spray muffin pan with cooking spray.
    Mix flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, xanthan gum, salt, and nutmeg in large mixing bowl. Add blueberries; stir to coat evenly.
    Combine milk and oil in small bowl; remove 1 tablespoon of combined liquid and discard it. Beat in eggs and vanilla. Add liquids to blueberry mixture and stir until just blended.
    Fill muffin pans 2/3 full. Sprinkle top with cinnamon sugar or streusel topping. Bake 18 – 25 minutes until lightly golden. Remove muffins from pan and serve immediately or cool on a rack.

Streusel Topping
    ½ cup brown rice flour mix
    1/3 cup brown sugar
    ½ teaspoon cinnamon
    ¼ teaspoon xanthan gum
    3 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted

Combine flour, brown sugar, cinnamon, and xanthan gum in a small bowl; stir to blend. Pour in butter and stir until all dry ingredients are moistened. Break into small pieces with spoon.

Brown Rice Flour Mix
    2 cups brown rice flour (extra finely ground)
    2/3 cup potato starch (NOT potato flour)
    1/3 cup tapioca flour
    Total: 3 cups

This recipe is a keeper. Thank you Annalise Roberts, for helping me feel normal again!!!

Joe Lewis July 14, 2006 at 10:39 pm

Wow that sounds good!

Ellen July 15, 2006 at 12:08 am

They are super!!! And the streusel on top is delicious!

Dianne July 15, 2006 at 5:15 am

Wow! These muffins look truly stunning, considering that they are GF. I’ll have to investigate this book

Ellen July 15, 2006 at 7:52 am

Dianne,

The muffins not only look stunning, they are stunning to eat. I’m not kidding, they knocked my socks off. I do think the combination of flours had something to do with it. I’ll be curious to try the recipe with the Authentic Foods extra fine brown rice flour to see if they’re even better.

Sandee September 25, 2006 at 1:30 pm

I also have made these muffins and they are fab – I love this book! And yours look yummy!

Ellen September 26, 2006 at 12:25 am

They are fabulous!

Martha November 14, 2006 at 7:03 am

Ellen, I tried these muffins at your home this summer and loved them. I finally got around to shopping for the ingredients and making them last night. I’m going to bring them to school today (11/14.06) and have the teachers try them. We have a few kids with allergies and these muffins would be a great baking project. Thank you!

Kristin March 28, 2007 at 4:51 pm

This was so amazing. My daughter loves blueberry muffins and I hadn’t been able to make them the way I remember gluten ones tasted or looked. These were awesome! I also made a muffin loaf and it was very good.

Ellen March 28, 2007 at 5:08 pm

Kristin – so glad you and your daughter enjoyed them! It is such a pleasure when you realize that you can make and taste GF foods that are equally as delicious as those from our gluteny days!

Anonymous October 10, 2007 at 9:20 pm

You can cut out the extra fat in these muffins by using apple sauce instead of the oil… I use about a 1/3 cup of apple sauce.

patti August 11, 2008 at 6:08 pm

The batter for this was very thick and the muffins came out very dense. I would not say that these were like “gluten” muffins by far. The best part was the streusel topping. Anyone else had trouble with the batter being so thick?? We ate them but I would not make them again.

I Am Gluten Free August 11, 2008 at 11:42 pm

Patti,

What kind of brown rice flour did you use? I think there are different kinds – and I think it can make a real difference. The best kind to use is extra fine brown rice flour from Authentic Foods (they have a website).

Ellen

thisgirlsjourney November 27, 2008 at 1:44 pm

Hi, can you please confirm what you mean by Potato Starch as I know it means different things.
    Thanks!

I Am Gluten Free January 19, 2009 at 8:19 am

Hi thisgirlsjourney,

Potato Starch is exactly what it says – potato starch! But be very careful not to use potato starch flour or potato flour – make sure the bag or box says potato starch and doesn’t have the word flour in it. Hope that helps!

Wesley March 22, 2009 at 1:46 pm

I think this is the best muffin recipe I’ve found. I hadn’t been using enough baking powder before and that seems to be the trick to getting them fluffy. I used half chickpea flour and half rice flour.

Courtney May 1, 2009 at 9:14 am

These are absolutely AWESOME. I added raisins, and also used 1/4 cup oil and 1/4 cup fat-free yogurt – they were super moist and a little more figure-friendly! ~_^

Karen June 20, 2009 at 4:42 pm

These are absolutely amazing! I couldn't stop eating them :) I made mine with cow's milk but am about to make the dairy free version for my boyfriend who is lactose intolerant. Thanks!

Adele November 13, 2009 at 9:34 am

Hi! I would LOVE to make these muffins – they look fabulous, alas, my daughter, who is gluten-free, is also allergic to potatoes. Is there a substitute you would recommend?

sheilab December 1, 2009 at 3:02 pm

In response to Adele – I haven't tried this recipe yet, but I've seen in other flour mix recipes that potato starch and tapioca starch are interchangeable so that's what I'll be trying.

Anyone try this using egg replacer instead of eggs??

silly December 30, 2009 at 8:15 pm

What do u mean "disacard a tablspoon of the oil/milk mixture? just throw it away!? i dont understand why/..

LissaLee February 24, 2010 at 5:06 pm

I just made these and made a little post about it on my blog! I thought they turned out beautifully :)
    Thanks!

Anonymous May 21, 2010 at 6:29 pm

Thanks so much for posting this recipe. I'm looking forward to trying it on my 13-year-old son, whose tests just came back positive for celiac. We're trying to help him see the silver lining in all of this, and I think some good blueberry muffins will help alot!

Anonymous May 23, 2010 at 8:46 pm

We made these blueberry muffins for breakfast today. They were wonderful! Thank you.
    Sanchez Family

velvet sea July 28, 2010 at 3:38 pm

Just made these! yummy, my non-GF bf loves them, thats how I know I passed.
    Thanks!

Melissa-Ann July 29, 2010 at 11:09 am

great recipe. Thanks for sharing!!

onepalm August 1, 2010 at 12:59 am

Yesterday's muffins weren't so good (expired baking powder), but today's are great! I'm happy to have a little fluff in my muffin! The dense breads, although tasty, have gotten a little boring. Thanks for sharing and the book recommendation, I'm looking for a sandwich bread recipe and want to try the English muffins.

onepalm August 1, 2010 at 1:02 am

Georgia Qld September 11, 2010 at 1:30 am

The best (GF) blueberry muffins I've made! I used 2 cups of Gluten Free Self Raising Flour so didn't need the baking powder, bi carb soda or xanthum gum. All other ingredients were the same and they were delicious!