• Homemade gluten free buttermilk waffles

by Ellen on July 23, 2006 · 12 comments

While I still will buy Van’s gluten free waffles now and again, from here on in, I’ll be making these suckers!!! They came out great. My first effort and I can say we were very sated.

I followed a recipe for Buttermilk Waffles from Bette Hagman’s book The Gluten-Free Gourmet. I made one change: I added about 1 tablespoon of flaxseed meal to the batter. I don’t think they changed the flavor at all. And think of all the great nutritional benefits.

Smothered in butter, drowned in real maple syrup. A perfect Sunday morning breakfast. And a great way to try out our new waffle maker.

Buttermilk Waffles

1 ¼ cups four flour bean mix (see below)
    ¼ cup buttermilk powder
    2 teaspoons baking powder
    1 teaspoon baking soda
    ½ teaspoon salt
    1 tablespoon sugar
    1 tablespoon flaxseed meal
    3 tablespoons shortening (I used butter)
    2 eggs (see note)
    1 cup water

Four flour bean mix:
    2 cups Garfava bean flour
    1 cup sorghum flour
    3 cups cornstarch
    3 cups tapioca flour

Sift the dry ingredients into a mixing bowl. Cut in the shortening until the mixture is very fine.

Separate the eggs. Beat the yolks with the water. Add to the dry ingredients, stirring to incorporate.

Beat the whites to soft peaks and fold into the batter, just until the batter is smooth; do not overbeat. Bake on a hot waffle iron. Makes 3 or 4 waffles, depending on the size of the waffle iron.

Serve with gobs of maple syrup!!!

Dianne July 24, 2006 at 1:45 am

Hi Ellen

I really miss waffles … not much in the way of GF alternatives in the UK, nor waffle irons either. I’m visiting the US later in the year, so aim to buy a waffle iron with an electricity current adapter … and will definately try this recipe when I have done so. Any advice on waffle irons gratefully recieved

Ellen July 24, 2006 at 6:58 am

Dianne, I wish I could advise you on waffle irons. The one I got is a two waffle maker made by Emeril’s company (the cooking show host on the Food Network here in the US)and while it works fine, it is missing some features that would be good. Like a retractable cord and the ability to make four waffles simultaneously. If I wanted to spend more money, I would’ve gotten a better one. Oh well, the waffles were still scrumptious!

gaile July 25, 2006 at 11:14 am

oo, i could eat a whole pile of those! they look fabulous!! yummy!

Ellen July 25, 2006 at 4:29 pm

They were fabulous and yummy! Honestly, gluten free ain’t bad. You just need to experiment and explore. There are a lot of great gluten free flours that we can eat. And try this one on for size: how about making waffle ice cream sandwiches, like the kind I used to eat on the boardwalk!!! Yum!!!

Ellen July 25, 2006 at 4:31 pm

Gaile…..I replied already, but that was before I realized it was you that had emailed. I just wanted you to know that I LOVE your blog. It is one of my favorites!!! If you can figure out how to email me privately, please do so. I’d love to chat when you have a moment.

Anonymous July 25, 2006 at 7:28 pm

Does anyone else seem to have a problem with bean flours and bloating?

I’ve heard good things about using Pamela’s Pancake and Baking Mix (GF) as waffles but have only made the crepe/pancakes myself.

Bridget July 25, 2006 at 10:16 pm

I have made the Pamela’s Product ones several times. My non-celiac friends claim they are better than with gluten! Easy to make too.

Ellen July 26, 2006 at 7:57 am

I love everything in the Pamela’s Products line. They make an organic double chocolate cookie that is addictive.

I haven’t had trouble with bloating from the bean flours, but if I did, I might try combining them differently. One of the great things I’m finding about working with gluten free flours is that they combine well together. Pick up a copy of Bette Hagman’s Bread baking book….it is a great lesson in how to cook with gluten free flours.

Dori July 26, 2006 at 11:42 am

Hi! I love your gluten free cooking page here! I use a rotational diet for myself and my son. I’m glad I went wandering in blog land today.

The waffles and blueberry muffins look absoluetly wonderful!

Bridget July 26, 2006 at 10:39 pm

I have Bette’s books and several others. But when in a mode of working 12 hour days, Pamela’s mix is less daunting! :)

Ellen July 28, 2006 at 1:57 pm

Yes, for sure, when pressed for time, some of the mixes are terrific. But when you have a few minutes, try making your own mixes of flours. It’s really easy. Just make a large amount so you’ll have it to use for awhile. Good luck!

Oldooz October 31, 2009 at 11:05 am

Hello.. :) I just found your blog searching on google. It's wonderful.. I have to spend many hours to search through it. It's a few week that I know I'm allergic to Gulten.

Could you please give me a recipe to make corn bread without eggs, and baking powder?

Many thanks.