• What’s A Food Loving Celiac To Do?

by Ellen on January 17, 2007 · 10 comments

One of the adjustments that Celiacs have to make is accepting the fact that eating out is just not the same easy-go-lucky last-minute let’s-run-out-for-a-bite thing to do that it used to be. When you have food allergies or intolerances, eating out is always a major deal. What restaurants can you go to that you will feel safe eating in? While there are a few restaurants in my area that either have gluten-free menus or cater to gluten-free needs (and for that I’m grateful), the bottom line is that it’s just easier to eat at home.

I love to eat delicious foods. I love regular ol’ American nothing-fancy dining and I also love interesting cuisines and unique flavors, thus my pantry is well-stocked. I stop at Whole Foods whenever I’m near one and I make short local supermarket runs every few days for fresh meats and veggies or for the occasional ethnic ingredient that I’ve run out of – by doing it this way, I can pretty much create quick, easy AND homemade gourmet meals every day.

So, here’s a recipe that will get you started. While it’s cooking, throw a salad together, steam some fresh veggies and then sit down to a beautiful gourmet dinner!

Honey Savory Roasted Chicken

2 pounds chicken (any combination of parts you prefer, i.e. breasts, thighs etc., with skin, without skin – your preference)
    salt & pepper
    ¼ cup honey
    ¼ cup orange juice
    ¼ cup pomegranate juice (if you can’t find this, use twice as much OJ)
    2 tbsp. olive oil
    1 clove garlic, minced
    ½ tsp. thyme
    ½ tsp. rosemary
    ½ tsp. oregano
    ½ cup chicken broth

Preheat the oven to 350°. Season the chicken with salt and pepper to taste, then place in a roasting pan. In a bowl, mix the honey, orange juice, pomegranate juice, olive oil, garlic, thyme, rosemary, and oregano. Pour over the chicken. Add the chicken broth to the pan and mix until it blends. Bake until finished, basting several times (I use a thermometer fork to test it) – a general rule of thumb is 20 minutes per pound. If you want it particularly crispy, broil it for a few minutes at the end but watch it carefully so it doesn’t burn. Strain the pan juices into a saucepan and reduce until slightly thickened. Serve over the chicken.

Sasha January 17, 2007 at 3:59 pm

It is hard to be spontaneous. I have kids ages 3 and 4 and one is GF (as am I) and one is allergic to eggs. Mostly when we are out we just know which grocery stores have microwaves and GF frozen foods that we like.

GrewUpRural January 17, 2007 at 4:12 pm

With working two jobs, it’s hard to eat at all. Most nights I don’t get home until 11pm. I try to keep frozen gf foods, like Amy’s Rice Lasagna on hand.

I am learning to make foods in bulk on my days off for later in the week. There is a Whole Foods in Providence, but it’s not right around the corner for me. WF is building another location near my part-time job in Cranston. I am hoping this will help me with cooking.

Mike Eberhart January 18, 2007 at 12:48 pm

Needless to say, most of my eating is at home as well. There are very few places where I feel my diet is truly safe if I eat out. It doesn’t bother me much, though I feel like I am holding back my wife and daughter when they want to go out to eat, since even if I say to go without me, they don’t always want to.

Lynn Barry January 18, 2007 at 2:31 pm

This chicken recipe looks to die for. Thanks!

Ellen January 19, 2007 at 11:40 pm

Sasha,

My kids were grown by the time I was diagnosed, so I don’t know how I would handle it if I had young kids like you. I’m sure it’s a challenge. For me, I find that I have to really plan my outings carefully. And I never leave the house without something to eat in my purse whether it’s a soymilk (the little 8 oz cartons) or a larabar or something like that. Good luck!

Ellen January 19, 2007 at 11:42 pm

Dear grewuprural,

That’s some schedule you keep – have you heard about OAMC? It stands for once a month cooking. I know you’d have to be super organized to do it, but if you would consider it, I’ll bet it would help your situation. But you are definitely challenged! Good luck!

Ellen January 19, 2007 at 11:44 pm

Dear Mike,

Aren’t we lucky to have spouses that understand? My husband never ever complains about eating home. And if it keeps us safer, all the better. To home-cooked meals!

Kaz from Worcester Love May 8, 2008 at 10:17 am

Hey Ellen- What are the “same safe meals” that you get at Pho Dakao? I go to the Boynton and Nancy Changs quite often and I’m very ready to try something else. Thanks!!

Ellen May 8, 2008 at 6:56 pm

Hi Kaz,

We tend to get the same thing all the time at Pho Dakao. We get the chicken soup with rice noodles and the summer rolls (no peanut sauce, only the nuoc cham dipping sauce), sometimes the crepe (in the appetizer section) made with rice flour/powder. That’s pretty much it! Boring, predictable, but safe!

Jackolyn October 18, 2013 at 1:09 pm

I am also lactose free, so my husband eats like I do now, and he has lost 12 lbs to my 3 lbs! I will make this dish, it sounds wonderful. Thanks.