• Let Me Introduce You To My Sister

by Ellen on February 23, 2007 · 8 comments

I have a confession to make. In my last post, I spoke about a friend who fell off the gluten free wagon, with the hope that she would read my words and recommit herself to being totally gluten free. Not only did it work, but she has made some radical changes, including buying a separate dedicated bread machine. Good for her! So, what am I confessing to? I lied. She’s not a friend. Well, she is a friend, but she is also one of my sisters. I’m very proud of her – and pleased too. She also made another radical change. She started her own blog. Please visit and support her in her efforts. Go here to read her first post and comment and help get her started on knowing there are lots of us out there who join her in her efforts to be GF and healthy!

No pics tonite – didn’t think you’d want to see yet more Vietnamese food pictures:). I’m still crazy for it. Had company Wednesday night and made Beef Pho (soup), Thai cucumber salad, Summer Rolls, and Pad Thai, all homemade and all yummified and delicious. Lots of work, lots of cleanup, well-worth it. Plus we were meeting one of our daughter’s boyfriends for the first time and wanted to really make a beautiful spread for them. He gets an A++++ from us. First of all, he brought really cool and unusual flowers. Second, he brought the most delicious gluten free sorbet. Third, he pitched right in, apron and all, and helped us cook. Fourth and most important, our daughter is smiling a lot. That is worth its’ weight in gold!

To all my gluten free friends – thank you for your continued support and camraderie.

Warmly,
    Ellen

Lynn Barry February 24, 2007 at 8:39 am

Ellen,
    Your love and devotion to your sis makes me all warm inside.
    I am on my way to visit her blog.
    You are THE BEST!
    HUGS

Lynn Barry February 24, 2007 at 8:40 am

Ellen,
    Your love and devotion to your sis makes me all warm inside.
    I am on my way to visit her blog.
    You are THE BEST!
    HUGS

Gluten Free MappyB February 24, 2007 at 9:54 am

YOu made pho?!?! I’m so very impressed – it is one of my top 3 favorite foods! Yum. I heard it was very complicated. If you don’t mind emailing me your recipe I would LOVE to try it….going to check out your sister’s site now. I, too, have fallen off the gf wagon many times…

Slacker Mom February 24, 2007 at 1:19 pm

Sounds nice..can’t imagine my daughter with a boyfriend!! (she’s only 5!)

Food sounds great!

Ellen February 24, 2007 at 10:37 pm

Dear gluten free mappyb,

Here is a link for beef pho:

It isn’t the one I used, but I’ve used other recipes from this site, all of which have been good. And in reading the recipe from this link, it looks pretty close to the one I used. We are lucky to have an Asian market pretty close to our house, but if you don’t, I’ll bet you can either order some of the ingredients online or maybe even get them at a local “regular” supermarket. As for the bones, I’ll bet any butcher can get them for you. Good luck! It was delicious! And I froze the leftovers in a freezer ziplock bag, for future pho!

Ellen February 24, 2007 at 10:40 pm

slacker mom – she might only be five, but don’t blink. She’ll be 22 before you know it. It happens before your very eyes:).

Lynn – thanks for your vote of support. I felt kind of bad telling a half truth, but I couldn’t give her identity away when I first posted about her issues. Now, she seems to really be on her way to being more compliant!

Gluten Free Suzi February 24, 2007 at 11:12 pm

I am glad that your sister responded well and is feeling better. I am going to visit her blog now + will add her to my blogroll.

Suzi :-)

amelia February 26, 2007 at 10:57 am

Ell –

Hooray for Faye — and thank you again for dinner. We had an excellent time and came home quite full. We’ll have to come by again … or maybe even have you to my house!

Love you –