• GF Bread: Love It Or Leave It

by Ellen on March 23, 2007 · 12 comments

I am still on the hunt for the perfect sandwich bread. I’ve made a number of different loaves, and blogged about them, but I will be honest and tell you that none of them really rivals the old wheat bread I used to eat before I was diagnosed with Celiac Disease. Some of them come darn close, like a loaf made from a mix of Breads From Anna. In my opinion, Anna’s bread stands on its’ own, GF or not. It is delicious. But for homemade GF bread, made from scratch, I haven’t hit payday yet. I’m not being petulant, honestly. I am admitting that I miss wheat now and then. But with each new GF loaf I make, the mourning gets less and less.

This is one of the best gluten free bread recipes I’ve found, thanks to Tom Van Deman. I believe it was first posted at the Celiac.com listserve. I don’t know him but wish I could thank him in person. Finding any GF bread that is edible untoasted is like finding gold. I found this particular recipe on a post at the Delphi Celiac forum listserve. The person who posted it (Jen) had adapted the original recipe and that is the recipe I made and am including below. I would like to thank her too.

I made the bread machine version. I’ve yet to make GF bread in the oven. It’s just so darn easy in my Zojirushi bread machine. Mix up the ingredients, throw it in, forget about it, two hours 8 minutes later, the house smells divine. Aromatherapy, for sure.

So, enjoy. And may you find your perfect loaf of GF bread.

Gluten-Free Sandwich Bread

3/4 cup Chickpea flour also called Garbanzo bean flour
    3/8 cup quinoa flour (6 tablespoons)
    1 cup cornstarch
    1 cup + 1 Tablespoon tapioca flour
    2 tbsp sweet dairy whey
    3 tbsp ground flaxseed
    3 tbsp melted butter or vegetable oil (I used oil)
    3 ½ teaspoons xanthan gum
    1 ½ teaspoon salt
    3 tbsp brown sugar (no lumps)
    ¼ teaspoon cream of tartar
    3 eggs, lightly beaten (room temperature!!!)
    1 1/8 cup warm water (temp between 95 – 100 degrees)
    2 ¼ teaspoons active dry yeast (I used one packet)

Bread Machine Directions

1. Combine all of the dry ingredients in a medium size bowl except yeast.
    2. Mix dry ingredients thoroughly with wire whisk.
    3. Mix together the lightly beaten eggs, warm water, and melted butter or oil in a separate bowl and thoroughly mix with wire whisk. If using melted butter, make sure it isn’t too hot or it will curdle the eggs.
    4. Pour the liquid ingredients into your bread machine pan (which is already positioned in your bread machine).
    5. Immediately spoon in your dry mixed ingredients on top of the wet ingredients, covering all of the wet ingredients.
    6. With a spoon or spatula make a small depression in top of your dry ingredients (must be dry for the yeast) and immediately spoon in your yeast.
    7. On my Zojirushi bread machine, I set it until it read 2:08 and pressed start. Tom’s original recipe says to use the medium crust setting on your bread machine.
    8. The dough will form a sticky ball. With a spatula scrape down the sides of machine bowl to make sure all of the dry ingredients get into the dough ball. If desired, on the rise cycle, use a wet spatula to smooth the top of the loaf.
    9. When finished, turn the loaf out onto a wire rack and allow bread to cool. It is difficult to slice while hot since it is still soft (if you decide to slice while still hot, be careful not to squeeze the loaf too tightly while holding it). Slice the bread thin with a serrated bread knife or electric knife and enjoy.

Oven Directions

1. Preheat your oven to 375F.
    2. Combine all of the dry ingredients in a medium size bowl or your mixer bowl including the yeast. Mix thoroughly on medium or low setting.
    3. Mix together the lightly beaten eggs, warm water, and melted butter or oil in a separate bowl and whip with wire whisk until all ingredients are mixed.
    4. Pour wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and mix with your mixer on medium speed (Use paddle or dough hook).
    5. When sticky ball forms scrape sides to get all of the flours and ingredients mixed together and continue to mix for about 1 minute more.
    6. Scrape into a 9 x 5-inch lightly greased loaf pan. Cover with plastic wrap, set in non drafty warm place and let rise until at least double size (approximately 45 to 60 minutes).
    7. Remove plastic wrap and pace pan in preheated oven. Bake for 35-40 minutes or until the loaf sounds hollow when tapped with a spoon.
    8. When finished, turn the loaf out onto a wire rack and allow bread to cool. It is difficult to slice while hot since it is still soft (if you decide to slice while still hot, be careful not to squeeze the loaf too tightly while holding it). Slice the bread thin with a serrated bread knife or electric knife and enjoy.

ElwoodCity March 23, 2007 at 11:08 am

Have you tried this one yet?

I love this bread. It holds its volume better than any bread I have tried, and it doesn’t go stale any faster than fresh wheat bread does.

I tried chick pea flour a couple of times, and didn’t care for it at all.

Sea March 23, 2007 at 12:02 pm

I would bet that this recipe is really great- Although I don’t like recipes where there is a majority of chickpea flour, this has what is probably just about the perfect amount of other flours to balance the flavor. I love recipes using quinoa flour, and tapioca and cornstarch are great ingredients to mellow strong flours out. I do find if i wait for the bread to cool the bread retains its full height- but it’s sooo hard to wait sometimes.

Say, I have the same bread machine you do- how do you set each individual cycle? I’m still trying to find the perfect settings…

Best,
    Sea

PS Everyone is baking bread lately! The hardest part is deciding which recipe to try! oh dear…

celticjig March 23, 2007 at 4:11 pm

Where do you find the sweet dairy whey? I have a recipe that calls for buttermilk powder and I haven’t seen that around either. I will give this one a try as everything I make with chickpea flour I tend to like much more than rice flour.
    I too miss a crusty loaf of euro style bread. I never was a big eater of sandwiches, but if I had bread I could travel with and eat fresh, that would make life less complicated.
    Ginger

Ellen March 23, 2007 at 9:09 pm

Hi Elwood City – your suggested bread recipe looks excellent – I will add it to my collection – thanks!

Sea – I’ve noticed a lot of people complaining about chickpea flour. I think whenever I use it, I combine it with enough other flours that its beany taste gets hidden, so I haven’t had a problem with it. Regarding the bread machine, when you hit “Select”, it cycles through the different settings. The next time I use it, I’ll pay closer attention and email you with the exact steps I take.

Celticjig – I’ve bought the sweet dairy whey and the buttermilk powder at our local health food store. I’m sure they have it at Whole Foods type stores as well. Or you can probably order it online. In fact, I know you can because I googled the sweet dairy whey before going to our local health food store to buy it.

Mike Eberhart March 24, 2007 at 8:40 am

Ellen, I’m glad you like that bread. But, I have to wonder, have you tried the one my wife posted online? It doesn’t use chickpea flour (as I see one person said they didn’t care for).

I have found it VERY adaptable too – I makes great breadsticks, baguettes, loafs, you name it. Here’s a link to the gluten-free recipe for the bread that I am talking about, if you want to try it. If you already have, I’d love to know how it compares. It uses Millet, Teff, and Flax for flavor, and rice flour and cornstarch for much of the ingredients.

Lynn Barry March 24, 2007 at 4:11 pm

What a gorgeous loaf! Good for you, girl! ENJOY! HUGS

Allie March 26, 2007 at 1:41 pm

Hey Ellen -

Haven’t chatted with you in a while – and its funny, because I, too, have been making loaf after loaf of bread to try to find a good one.

They always taste good right out of the breadmaker, but then next day, they all taste the same. It’s a bit discouraging.

I was going to post on my experiements soon…. I haven’t tried chick-pea/garbanzo flour yet, and I should. I love to eat them! And all the other breads have that same gluten-free taste. I know I don’t like tapioca starch, but maybe I could sub in potato?

MORE ingredients to buy :) take care, Allie

Jorie July 2, 2007 at 2:54 am

I’m dying to try this recipe as it sounds yum!
    I just wanted to confirm that the portion of quinoa flour is 3/8 cup. It just sounds like an unusual measure so before I start I want to make sure I’m doing it right!

Ellen July 2, 2007 at 8:23 am

Jorie,

I adapted the recipe to show you the exact measurement of the quinoa flour in tablespoons. Also, make sure the water is the correct temperature and that the eggs are at room temperature. A quick trick if you forget to take the eggs out of the frig is to put them into a bowl of warmish (not too hot) water for about five minutes. Good luck!

amsuka August 5, 2007 at 7:57 pm

Hi Ellen, I am with you- I am a staunch bread lover, and I have found (and tweaked) a recipe that will certainly bring tears of joy to your eyes! I liken it to an artesian whole wheat loaf- gluten free of course, and it works a dream in my bread machine.This is beautiful days later, andf it does NOT need to be toasted to be edible- I promise!! Feel free to check my *infant* blog for the recipe!

Dominick February 8, 2014 at 9:03 am

I ɗo not know whether it’s just me or if perhaps everyone else encountering issues with
    your site. It appearѕ like some of the text within yoսr posts are running off the screen.Can
    somebody else please provide feedback annd let me knοw if this is happeninǥ to them too?
    This might ƅe a problem witɦ mу browser ƅecause
    Ӏ’ve had this happen before. Kudօs

Ellen February 14, 2014 at 11:10 am

Hi Dominick, it’s a problem I’ve had since switching from the blogger platform to the wordpress platform. I have to go into each post and edit it. I will get to it eventually:). Thanks for alerting me. Much appreciated.