• Homerun GF Chocolate Chip Cookie

by Ellen on March 2, 2007 · 29 comments

“This is the greatest cookie ever”, my husband purred. “You can’t give this recipe away. Not yet. This will make us rich. We have found the source of our fortune.” After his fifth cookie, he softly whispered, “If you wake up in the middle of the night and I’m not in bed, you will find me in the kitchen eating these cookies.”

Ha! Ha! Very funny.

But he’s only half kidding. It is the greatest cookie ever. Even better than the old gluteny chocolate chip cookies of our past. When I suggested that flattening them before baking might make them thinner and crisper (though they are already fairly crisp) he declared, “No, they are perfect just the way they are. Don’t change a thing.”

“And the recipe? Where did I find it?”, you ask. I will tell you. I will give it away. Because I want you to make this recipe. You will thank me forever and ever. And even then some. I promise.

My inspiration came from Glutenfree By The Bay’s GF chocolate chip cookie recipe (which I’m sure is great – everything from that blog is wonderful!). But I made some significant changes. It wouldn’t be me after all, if I didn’t change a recipe:).

So, my advice to you. Run. Don’t walk. Get these ingredients. Make these cookies. You will scream with delight, I guarantee it. BTW, feel free to change up the macadamia nuts. My guess is you could leave them out altogether, or use pecans or walnuts.

Chocolate Chip Macadamia Nut Cookies

1 cup brown rice flour mix* (from Annalise Roberts Gluten-Free Baking Classics)
    1/4 cup sweet rice flour
    1/4 cup tapioca flour
    2 tablespoons almond meal
    1/2 teaspoon baking soda
    1/2 teaspoon xanthan gum
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1/4 cup softened butter
    1/2 cup turbinado sugar (or brown)
    1/2 cup white sugar
    1 extra large egg
    1 teaspoon vanilla extract
    1 cup chocolate chips
    1/2 cup chopped macadamia nuts

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Grease two large baking sheets.

Blend flours, almond meal, baking soda, xanthan gum, and salt in medium sized bowl.

Blend softened butter, sugars, egg and vanilla with a spoon until creamy.

Using a wooden spoon, add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and mix well. Add the chocolate chips and macadamia nuts. At this point, you will probably need to use your hands to mix the ingredients together.

Pinch off about a tablespoon of batter. Roll it in your hands in order to make a small ball. Place on the baking sheet, leaving a generous amount of room between cookies. Bake for 10 minutes, rotating the trays halfway through the baking time. Remove from the oven. After five minutes, transfer them to a cooling rack.

*Annalise Roberts Brown Rice Flour mix
    2 cups brown rice flour
    2/3 cup potato starch (not potato flour)
    1/3 cup tapioca flour

Sheri March 3, 2007 at 6:47 am

Cookies! I think I know what I am doing when I get back from my student’s first solo & ensemble contest today!

Thanks for not listening to your husband :-)

Sea March 3, 2007 at 1:12 pm

macadamia nuts! macadamia nuts! I like the way you think.

You know my DH is returning from a bus trip to India tomorrow… How popular would I be if i had cookies made???? Besides, i think i want some to, uh, fuel my studying. Yeah, that’s it.

I LOVE COOKIES!

Best,
    Sea

Visit my yummy GF blog at

Ellen March 3, 2007 at 7:26 pm

Sheri and Sea,

You must let me know if you made them!!! We only have three left and I just made them last night. Watch out, they disappear!

Lynn Barry March 4, 2007 at 7:37 am

Ellen,
    I’m so proud of you and happy for you and your hubby. These look amazing! Way to go, girl!
    I use a tsp. per cup of flour of Xanthan gum and thought less would make the cookies not hold together but I guess not…thanks for the tip!
    HUGS

Dianne March 4, 2007 at 8:03 am

Hi Ellen

Your hubby could well be right, they do look incredibly good! Ages since I’ve eaten a normal cookie, and I’ve been thinking about trying out some cookie recipes

Jean Layton-GF Momma March 4, 2007 at 1:08 pm

These look amazing. Since my daughters supply of cookies for treats in school is running low, we are making these today! Have you thought about adding a little orange peel? I love the combo of orange and bittersweet chocolate.

Ellen March 4, 2007 at 3:44 pm

Jean,

The orange peel sounds wonderful. I’ve been thinking about other combos – I want to try chocolate chips and coconut. But I’ll have to try them with the orange peel as that sounds yummy. Let me know how your batch comes out!

Ellen

The Medium/The Gluten Free Vegan March 5, 2007 at 12:58 pm

Hmm…Im thinking I can make this vegan….sounds wonderful!

ByTheBay March 5, 2007 at 1:30 pm

Aw shucks. Thanks for the comipliment. I’ll add this recipe to this week’s Gluten-Free Recipe Roundup – Because they look fabulous, not just because you based the recipe on mine! Really!

Karina March 6, 2007 at 6:45 pm

What a sweet story about your husband’s reaction to this new recipe. And they *do* look absolutely fabulous. I wish I had the patience to make individual cookies. Someday…sigh.

You are a gluten-free gourmet, Ellen! xoxo

Ellen March 6, 2007 at 9:29 pm

Thanks Karina! These made me feel a bit gourmet-ish. You must try making them – they are definitely worth the effort. I would make them again so soon after making them the first time except that we ate them in one day. I can’t keep wearing elastic waisted pants!

Faye March 7, 2007 at 12:23 pm

To my wise and wonderful sister,
    These look deadly, in a good sense! I will go buy sweet rice flour this afternoon and busy myself making these lucious cookies. Meanwhile, for those who read the posts, the Szechuan Cabbage Salad was an unbelievable hit. What a fabulous salad. My family loved it, especially the supportive husband of mine. Thus far, I’ve cooked gluten free for two weeks and they love every creation. Thanks to you, my inspiration..love you….

Ellen March 7, 2007 at 12:55 pm

My dear sister,

It is what I hoped – that you would come on board and join me. After all, you were the one to inspire me initially and help me learn that there is life after Celiac. So, congrats to you!

Now, remember to get the turbinado sugar – I think it makes a difference, though I suspect you could substitute brown sugar. Let me know how they come out!

love, me

ByTheBay March 7, 2007 at 1:17 pm

Ellen – Will you do me a favor and drop me a line at glutenfreebay at gmail dot com ? I have a question to ask you!

Anonymous March 13, 2007 at 7:58 pm

Ellen – I made these and they disappeared so fast! Even our non-celiac friends loved them. The only changes I made were using 1 cup brown rice flour instead of the mix you suggested, and I chose walnuts instead because they were on hand. I also had no patience for smaller cookies, so I used a large cookie scoop to make 8 cookies and they baked in 15 minutes. Thanks for your enjoyable posts, it’s a huge help to me!

Ellen March 13, 2007 at 9:17 pm

Dear Anonymous,

Ooh, walnuts sounds wonderful! I just made them again, but this time I added coconut flakes. They are so good, I can’t stop eating them! I love your idea of making them larger – I will have to try that. Thanks for the suggestion.

Anonymous April 1, 2007 at 8:22 pm

These are really amazing cookies – thanks for posting. This time when I made them (2nd time) I made a few tweaks to fit my tastes and they are still great. In case anyone is interested, here is what I did:

I used brown rice flour instead of the mix, subbed sorghum flour for the white rice flour and cut the sugar in half. Kept the chocolate chips of course. ;-) They’re wonderful! This is why I keep your site bookmarked, so many good things.

Ellen April 1, 2007 at 10:15 pm

Dear Anonymous,

I’m so glad you experimented and found a blend of flours you liked. I will have to try your variation. I’m fascinated with trying different combinations of flours….if they weren’t so darn expensive, I’d “play” more in the kitchen!

Becky August 5, 2007 at 8:39 pm

These cookies are amazing! I think they’re better than my gluten-recipe. I substituted pecans for the macadamia nuts, which gave the cookies a slightly caramelish flavour. I think I’m also going to adapt this recipe to make a reverse chocolate chip cookie, by adding in about 1/3 cup GF cocoa, and using white chocolate chips. Thanks for sharing this wonderful recipe.

Crockpot Lady February 28, 2008 at 3:09 pm

oooh, I can’t wait to try these! I usually use Pamela’s as my all-purpose baking mix, but I do have some loose flour in the cubbard. yum!
    -steph

Simply...Gluten-free February 28, 2008 at 3:50 pm

I think your hubby may be right, I’ll let you know when I make them. I can almost smell them baking already.

Gabi February 28, 2008 at 10:38 pm

Wow those look great! I came right over from Naomi’s roundup to check them out!I am making them right away! Thank the DH for allowing us in on the secret!
    x x x

The Gluten-free 'Dish' August 9, 2009 at 4:38 pm

As I sit here drooling at the site of your picture, I must confess my secret passion for chocolate chip cookies and apologize for the drool!
    These look delightful, Ellen.

Natalie Lueders November 8, 2009 at 6:14 pm

These cookies turned out fantastic! After ruining a few "favorite" pre-gluten free recipes (they melted off the pan)…these saved the day! I left the nuts out and added a dash of almond flavor too…yummy!!! Thanks!!!!

Joanie April 27, 2010 at 3:05 pm

Still loving these cookies and this recipe! We still haven't made them with the macadamia nuts… Each time we make them, only a few survive to the cooled stage ~ though that will change as our adult children begin moving out. Every time we make these cookies, EVERYONE we share them with absolutely loves them! Great recipe! Keep them coming…

P.S. I think your husband is right! ;)

Connie May 21, 2010 at 11:04 pm

Hi, I found you through facebook "Nuffins Bakery"…
    and I am SO glad I did!
    I made these cookies tonight and they are all that you said they were! Scrumptious! Thanks for the recipe.

I followed the recipe exactly, except for one change.
    I used 1/2 cup gf oats for the 1/2 nuts.