• Show me your mussels

by Ellen on March 14, 2007 · 8 comments

How cool is it when you prepare something new and it comes out fantastic?!?!? And you had the nerve to make it for the first time, with company coming, people who had never been to your house before! That happened tonight. I made Thai Red Curry Mussels – so easy and every bit as good as any I’ve had in Thai restaurants. I also made Pad Thai and Szechuan Slaw, both of which I’ve made and blogged about. Tonight WAY made up for earlier this week when I made Akki-Roti, an Indian flatbread made from rice flour. I followed the directions, but I’m sure I did something wrong. It tasted good, but looked disgusting and gross. Ah, but let’s not dwell on the disaster. Instead let’s look on the bright side. I can make a delicious and beautiful Thai-inspired meal.

I think part of the trick was that I got really, really fresh mussels. They were unbelievably clean – I really didn’t need to scrub them and if I removed 5 beards from 4 pounds of mussels, it was a lot. I used Thai Kitchen’s Red Curry Paste, a commercially prepared gluten free curry paste that is great.

And we had chocolate chip-coconut-macadamia nut cookies for dessert. The recipe for this was based on one I made a few weeks ago, except I added coconut to the recipe.

Great company, delicious home-cooked meal. What a life!

Thai Red Curry Mussels
    From Eating Well Magazine February 07
    4 servings

2 teaspoons peanut oil or canola oil
    2 medium cloves garlic, minced
    2 scallions, thinly sliced, whites and greens separated
    Zest and juice of 2 lime
    1 – 2 tablespoons Thai red curry paste
    1 14 ounce can “lite” coconut milk
    1 tablespoon brown sugar
    2 teaspoonsw fish sauce
    4 pounds mussels, scrubbed and debearded
    6 cups trimmed watercress or trimmed spinach
    2 tablespoons thinly sliced fresh basil for garnish

Heat oil in a large high-sided skillet or Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add garlic, scallion whites, lime zest and curry paste to taste; cook until fragrant and the paste is sizzling, 1 to 3 minutes. Add lime juice, coconut milk, brown sugar and fish sauce. Bring to a boil and let cook for 2 minutes.

Add mussels, return to a simmer, cover and cook for 6 minutes. Spread watercress or spinach over the mussels, cover and cook until slightly wilted, about 4 minutes; stir into the mussels. (Discard any unopened mussels.) Serve garnished with scallion greens and basil.

Lynn Barry March 15, 2007 at 11:46 am

You cracked me up with this entry. Thanks for the laughs. I was not laughing at you, just enjoying how you worded your victory after your recent less joyful attempt in the kitchen. Great reading, my dear and it appears…GREAT eating too. HUGS

Dianne March 16, 2007 at 4:20 am

Thes look divine Ellen, and I just love mussels! I’ve never quite had the nerve to cook them at home, why, I dont know!

Maybe, just maybe!

Ellen March 16, 2007 at 9:22 am

They are divine. For years, I’ve wanted to make these mussels and instead shyed away from it, thinking it would be too difficult. But, it was one of the easiest things to make and has a great WOW appeal! So, go for it!

Gluten Free Suzi March 18, 2007 at 2:18 am

I can’t say mussels are my thing, but my husband loves them!! He loves Thai Curry as well so perhaps I will spoil him and try and make them this week.

Will keep you posted on the success..

Slacker Mom March 18, 2007 at 10:07 am

I love mussels….I prefer the Italian style with garlic and parsley, white wine and lemon juice…yum!! You have so set me on the track to make some this week!!!

And…I did not know that the red curry paste is GF!! I love making Thai food as well, and I have not researched all the ingredients yet! Thank you for doing it already!

Gluten FreeVegan March 19, 2007 at 5:48 pm

My mouth is watering…unfortunately I am allergic to shell fish and can’t make it for myself but I have passed it on to a friend that I’m sure will savor every bite!

Ellen March 19, 2007 at 8:16 pm

GF Suzi,

I had a funny conversation with my daughter who said she wasn’t into bivalves so didn’t think she would like the recipe, even though it sounded good! If you make them, let me know what his reaction is. It’s a real “WOW” recipe – not a lot of effort or ingredients for a really big reaction! And great taste too!

Kate March 20, 2007 at 8:58 am

I felt the same way as you about mussels until one fine day i was brave enough to try making it at home.And success !they are so easy to make and when u present it at the table it looks so fancy and everyone thinks u worked so hard to make dinner !
    Love your Thai mussells.