• What’s For Breakfast?

by Ellen on April 22, 2007 · 17 comments

My favorite meal of the day used to be breakfast. However, transitioning to GF breakfasts has been one of the hardest parts of my gluten free journey. I used to jokingly say that if I had to pick one food to eat for the rest of my life, it would be bagels toasted and smeared with butter and cream cheese.

I was referring to bagels made with wheat flour, the ones I ate back in the days. Since my diagnosis, I’ve found two GF bagels that have filled in for the old bagels of my past (Glutino & Kinnickinnick). And I’ve even waxed poetic about one of them. But still, since I don’t always have them in the freezer, I’ve had to learn to make other breakfast choices. I’ve made bagels at home and they were very good. Next time, I should make a big batch and freeze them. But in the meantime……

I seem to go through phases. When I’ve made a loaf of Breads From Anna GF/Rice & Soy Free bread mix, I like to have it for breakfast. For example, this morning I had one piece of this yummy GF bread toasted (though it’s fantastic untoasted as well, pretty high praise for any GF bread, in my humble opinion), with a cooked egg and a piece of crispy bacon. Lots of salt & pepper. And a cup of Trader Joe’s Organic Orange Rooibus Tea with honey.

Sometimes I have plain yogurt with chopped fruit (lately, fruit of choice has been apple) and honey and Enjoy Life Not Nuts trail mix.

A couple of days ago I had an omelette with spinach and mushrooms. No toast though cause I didn’t have any GF bread in the house.

If I have time, especially on the weekends, I’ll make buttermilk waffles, doused in real maple syrup, it’s pretty decadent, but worth the splurge. I don’t bother counting the WW points for these!

What do you have for GF breakfasts? Let me know and I’ll compile your answers and include them in an upcoming post. That way, we can all benefit from each others’ ideas. If you’ve blogged about a breakfast you like, let me know the blog URL and I’ll include that in the round-up. See ya’ at the griddle!

Jess April 22, 2007 at 7:42 pm

I used to go through breakfast phases, but now I mix it up and rarely have the same breakfast two days in a row, even if only changing one ingredient.
    Often, I will have have mesa sunrise, fresh fruit salad and either yoghurt or soy/almond milk. Sometimes the cereal gets traded in for Enjoy Life granola.
    I also enjoy rice cakes or topped with almond butter, a banana and cinnamon.
    Van’s waffles are also great. I usually top it with either yogurt or almond butter (don’t knock it ’till you try it).
    When I need a treat, I’ll make pancakes, with my favorite recipe being banana teff pancakes
    Hope this helps everyone!

Rochelle April 22, 2007 at 10:30 pm

For a weekend breakfast, we like chocolate chip pancakes made with Pamela’s baking mix.

Ellen April 22, 2007 at 10:39 pm

Jess,

Thanks for the reminder about mesa sunrise – I’d forgotten how much I loved it. When I stopped drinking milk, I stopped eating cereal. I’ve tried straight soymilk, but haven’t developed a taste for it yet. I find it too thick – but I noticed there is a Lite Soy Milk. Maybe that will be less thick. Do you have a brand of soymilk that you like?

BTW, I love almond butter, and cashew butter too.

Rochelle – yum – good idea – anything with chocolate chips added to it is good in my book:)

Nina April 22, 2007 at 10:56 pm

Yes, breakfast was the most confusing meal of the day when I realized that I had to give up my beloved Shredded Wheat.
    Now it might be a blend of Bob’s Red Mill Might Tasty and Brown Rice Farina with raisins added and topped with ground flax seed and cinnamon.
    Or a couple of corn tortillas grilled with cheese and beans (or refried beans) inside. Add a little chopped pepper and a few onion slivers for flavor.
    Pancakes with fresh North American blueberries are great.
    Of course, yogurt and homemade muffins are good.
    Eggs are always welcome but I don’t want to eat them too often. Eggs plus sausage has a lot of staying power.
    Today for the 1st time, I baked a couple of the Bell and Evans GF Chicken Tenders for a late breakfast. They were great and packed the protein power of sausage without the fat. With that I had cream of tomato soup with black beans added for substance. A little grated cheese would have been good too. OK, it’s a little unusual but it was more like a brunch.

Ainsley April 23, 2007 at 8:27 am

Lately I have been making a batch of GF waffles using Bobs Red Mill GF Pancake Mix. I eat one on Sunday for breakfast, then I wrap each one in a paper towel and put them in a large plastic bag for the refrigerator. Each morning I take another one out and toast it – then come out quite nicely. I usually pair it with some fruit – my obsession of late has been Asian Pears. And if I am in a chocolate mood, chocolate chips melt nicely on top of the hot waffle.

Jess April 23, 2007 at 9:25 am

I use So Nice soy milk or Almond Breeze almond milk. I don’t find either too rich.
    You may want to consider making your own soy or almond milk, which I used to do, but recently have not had time for. I have to admit that I prefer to make my own because can make them without any sweetener (or much less than you can buy). You can also make your milks thicker or more liquidy.
    Cheers,
    Jess

Michelle April 23, 2007 at 10:15 am

I’m an oatmeal girl myself– a bowl of McCann’s Irish oats (either the slow or quick-cooking, whatever you like better) with some raisins, brown sugar, and a dollop of peanut butter. I also really like Bob’s GF hot cereal with blueberries.

Sheri April 24, 2007 at 8:00 am

I make muffins or scones to get me through the week, but on the weekends, I like to either have teff porridge or a poached egg on GF toast. Yummy….

Fidget April 24, 2007 at 10:25 am

I miss breakfast too.

I tend to have cheesy grits

corn tortillas with mozzarella, turkey, tomatoes and a schmear of mayo

gluten free apple cinnamon pancakes

scrambled eggs and turkey sausage or turkey bacon

Gluten free muffin

banana and a cheese stick

vanilla yogurt with some fresh fruit

Maccanns oats with maple syrup, pcans, cinnamon and raisins

Anonymous April 24, 2007 at 7:36 pm

We have eggs most mornings, baked in the oven like a quiche without the crust. Hands free once you’ve mixed them with a little soymilk and salt and pepper. Usually on the side we have salsa, refried black beans or leftover veggies, brown rice.

GF cereals from Nature’s Path are nice too, but a little sweet and not as filling for me.

Great idea for a post, I love seeing other ideas! Thanks for blogging.

gaile April 25, 2007 at 10:38 am

My default breakfast is a banana and some gf tamari roasted almonds. I have been on a grapefruit kick lately too. I also love peanut butter panda puffs, and have that with almond breeze a few times a week. Weekends are either pamela’s pancakes, or an egg dish with some gardenburger gf sausage. I also like the enviro kids rice crispy breakfast bars, but that’s not much of a breakfast. Rice cereal is a great one in the winter, with butter, raisins, and brown sugar.

Emilie April 26, 2007 at 11:08 am

Thank you for all of these fabulous ideas. I am newly diagnosed, although my youngest ds has been gf for 8 months. Breakfast is definately the most difficult for me, and these ideas made my mouth water.

Lynn Barry April 26, 2007 at 6:41 pm

I have Twice Rice cereal and rice milk, or french toast stix using lovely loaf and ghee and real maple syrup, or warmed rice with raisins and honey and rice milk, sometimes bacon and homefries.I have done the warm quinoa route but often it reminds me of eating a bowl of birdseed and that un-excites me…HUGS

Anonymous May 5, 2007 at 11:25 am

Oh, breakfast is my favorite meal now! I even eat it at night now! Regarding your waffles…I use Vans wheat/gluten free and Maple Grove sugar free maple syrup (also gluten free and both available at Walmart!)
    But yougurt became my all time favorite! I buy plain, Dannon is best. Hard to find but the light and fit plain is yummy and lowest in calories. Heres what I do….
    !. 1 cup plain yougurt
    1/4-1/2 tsp gluten free maple flavoring (I use Atkins)
    Splenda or sugar or honey to taste
    and 1/8-1/4 cup Perkys Nutty rice cereal. Just mix by hand and there ya go!
    Also try this one, just as good!
    1 cup plain yougurt
    1/4-1/2 tsp gluten maple flavoring
    1/2 cup plain unsweetened sliced apples (chopped) or unsweetened applesauce.
    Cinnamon to taste. Mix and eat

Lacey May 6, 2007 at 12:35 pm

FYI: If you go to Dannon’s Website, they won’t guarantee that their yogurt is gluten free…However Yoplait does. I used to eat corn tortillas and refried beans, cheese and gatorade but I got tired of it so now I have Kinninnick bagels or Van’s GF waffles and cream cheese. Way way back when I first started this I had grits for breakfast.

Ellawind of Phoenia August 9, 2008 at 12:04 pm

All these ideas were really neat! In my family we sometimes have Pamela’s pancakes, or occasionally I will use Pamela’s Baking and Pancake Mix to make mini raspberry/chocolate muffins. Mostly, though, we have a bowl of ceral with Rice Dream (rice milk)or maybe mueslix.

Melissa March 23, 2010 at 7:10 pm

Two of my favorite breakfast porridges:

1 cup cooked brown rice (from the night before) + handful chopped almonds + 4-6 chopped dates + almond or rice milk with cinnamon on top.

1 cup cooked quinoa + 1/2 cup coconut milk + 1 cut up apple or pear or asian pear + raw pepitas (pumpkin seeds).