• Smart Monkey Gluten Free Bars

by Ellen on May 24, 2007 · 6 comments

Raw food bars, compressed gems of deliciousness (usually containing dried fruits and nuts) – the Celiac’s fallback easy-to-carry-and-travel-with snack.
    On the hunt for the perfect gluten free snack bar, I am happy this morning. My fall back has been the Lara Bar (do an online search for their company), and the Smart Monkey bar is sort of in the same category, but I like the Smart Monkey Raw Food Bar much better. I’m not dissing the Lara Bar – believe me, I’m grateful for the variety of choices. But given my druthers, on this beautiful May morning, my top choice is the Smart Monkey bar. It is not nearly as dense – much softer and much less work to eat it! There are seven flavors to choose from:

Ginger Snap
    Pecan Pie
    On-The-Trail
    Carob Brownie
    Cacao Cookie
    Sesame Snap

Also, the following flavors, though I can’t seem to find an online source for them:

Cherry Cashew
    Chocolate Cashew
    Chocolate Brownie

You can buy the linked ones from Amazon.com or directly from the Smart Monkey company.

Geez, I realize this sounds like an ad, but it’s not:). I’m just a happy consumer this morning!

Slacker Mom (aka Mrs. GF) May 24, 2007 at 12:09 pm

Thanks for the heads up..it is always nice to know about new products that are actually good!

: )

Dru May 26, 2007 at 12:03 pm

Your criteria for liking a bar – less dense, softer, less work to chew – are the opposite of what I prefer. I like to have the oral satisfaction of biting and chewing when I eat food. In fact, without that oral “feedback”, I find that I eat much more. For that reason I prefer gluten free bars such as Bumble Bars and Jay Bars.

Ellen May 26, 2007 at 1:50 pm

The feature I don’t care for with the Lara Bars is definitely the denseness and thickness of the fruit. I don’t mind the chewing part – in fact, I agree with you – I love biting into a good crunchy bar.

I also love the Bumble Bars as well. Haven’t tried the Jay Bar. Will keep my eyes open for it.

Karen May 26, 2007 at 10:58 pm

Ooo, this is great! I look forward to trying these on my own. I had no idea they even existed. I am always on the lookout for a GF portable snack when I am on the go. Do you have a favorite flavor?

Karen
    glutenfreefoodreviews.com

Mark July 19, 2007 at 1:52 pm

These sound good and I would like to try them. I like carob–in fact I prefer it to chocolate. My current favorite bar is CocoChia bar from LivingFuel.

Ellen July 19, 2007 at 2:24 pm

Mark,

All of the Smart Monkey bars are delicious. It’s so great to have gluten free alternatives that don’t taste like sawdust, isn’t it?!!