• Burger On A Bun Heaven!

by Ellen on June 30, 2007 · 17 comments

We had company over for a bbq tonight. We served grilled Tempeh Portabello Mushroom Burgers (go to http://www.veganchef.com/ and do a search) on homemade gluten free hamburger buns, and a green salad with a balsamic vinegar. It was so great to have a burger on a bun. These were my first attempt at making buns at home and well worth the effort. Thank you Bette Hagman, for making our gluten free lives tolerable. She led the way and has my total devotion!

Hamburger Buns
    from The Gluten-free Gourmet Bakes Bread by Bette Hagman

3 cups Featherlight Rice Flour Mix (see below)
    2 teaspoons xanthan gum
    2 teaspoons egg replacer (optional)
    2 teaspoons unflavored gelatin
    2 tablespoon baking powder
    1 teaspoon salt
    3 tablespoons sugar
    2 cups warm water
    2 ¼ teaspoons dry yeast granules
    1 ½ teaspoons dough enhancer or vinegar
    2 eggs
    4 tablespoons vegetable oil

Place 12 muffin rings on 2 cookie sheets and grease with vegetable spray. I don’t own muffin rings and wasn’t about to open 12 cans of tunafish, so I made my own by using a 12” piece of aluminum foil which I folded the long way, then continued folding until it was the height of a tunafish can. Hold it at one end and spray down the length of one side of the strip of aluminum foil. Make ends meet, then maneuver one end along the inside of the ring until it is the diameter that you want it to be.

In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour mix, xanthan gum, egg replacer if using, gelatin, baking powder, and salt. Set aside. Add 1 teaspoon of the sugar to the warm water and sprinkle on the yeast. Set aside to foam slightly. I cover with a piece of plastic wrap which helps keep the environment warm and facilitates the proofing of the yeast.

In a large mixing bowl, blend together the remaining suagr, dough enhancer, eggs, and vegetable oil, using a hand mixer on low speed. Add the yeast mixture. Beat in half of the dry ingredients. With a mixing spoon, stir in the remaining flour and beat until smooth. Spoon the batter into the prepared rings. Cover lightly and let rise in a warm place until doubled in size (20 – 25 minutes for rapid-rising yeast, 40 – 45 minutes for regular yeast). Bake in a preheated 375 ° oven for 20 – 22 minutes. I added an extra five minutes of baking time, as the buns didn’t look finished after 22 minutes.

Featherlight Rice Flour Mix
    makes 3 cups

1 cup rice flour
    1 cup tapioca flour
    1 cup cornstarch
    1 tablespoon potato flour (not potato starch or potato starch flour)

Mix, blending all four ingredients together.

Slacker Mom (aka Mrs. GF) July 1, 2007 at 9:09 am

Yum! That looks great.

Ellen July 1, 2007 at 9:25 am

Hi Slacker Mom,

It was yum – and so cool to eat the burger on a bun!!!

kbabe1968 July 1, 2007 at 6:23 pm

I cannot wait to try these. would they work for hotdogs too? I MISS hot dogs on a bun. Going to my folks for the 4th…sure would be nice to have a hot dog on a bun!

Sheltie Girl July 2, 2007 at 8:54 am

Ellen – The burgers and salad look wonderful. I’m sure you enjoyed them. Thanks for sharing.

Sheltie Girl @ Gluten A Go Go

Ellen July 2, 2007 at 9:05 am

Thanks Sheltie Girl! They were so yummy – I can’t wait to try making them again. Gonna put sesame seeds on top next time.

Slacker Mom (aka Mrs. GF) July 2, 2007 at 10:13 am

I was totally thinking sesame seeds too!

Got to have sesame seed on a hamburger bun!

Betty Jo July 3, 2007 at 5:53 am

OMGosh that looks awesome! I can’t do the yeast thing, so guess I’ll have to have a burger on a buttermilk biscuit. As soon as I learn to make a gluten free buttermilk biscuit, that is. :)

Ellen July 3, 2007 at 6:54 am

Betty Jo – if you go to my April 16, 2007 post, you’ll see a recipe for biscuits. Give that a try! Also, Breads From Anna (www.glutenevolution.com) has a gluten-free yeast-free mix that is wonderful.

Mappy B July 3, 2007 at 8:02 am

I will have to try those, I’m sick of eating bunless burgers! :)

People always look at me crazy like I’m on a low carb diet or something, then look at me like I’m nuts when I go to town on the french fries. :)

GlutenFreeMappyB

Ellen July 3, 2007 at 8:06 am

I was eating the burgers on lettuce, kind of like a wrap. While it was good and novel, I relished a good old hamburger bun! I toasted a leftover one yesterday and had it was leftover burgers and it was delicious.

parentblues July 23, 2007 at 5:17 pm

Great ideas! I will surely recommend it to moms around me who are trying to stay slim.

chefandrea August 30, 2007 at 12:13 pm

I am exited to try this recipe as it is so hard to find delicious GF buns. AND your picture makes it look yummy. I have made buns with Anna’s yeast free mix (wwwglutenevolution.com) and they came out really good you just have to not make them too thick.

Ellen September 3, 2007 at 2:51 pm

Hi Chef Andrea,

I love all of the Breads from Anna mixes, but when I’m in the mood and have time to make from scratch, this is a great go-to recipe.

Paul&Ashley November 22, 2009 at 6:20 pm

Love it! Hey, any of you who have access to Bob's Red Mill in Miwaukie,OR can buy an "english muffin" pan which also works great for burger buns. No need for tuna cans or foil!

Anonymous October 24, 2010 at 9:49 am

I have been making these buns for 6 years now. I've tried others, but fresh out of the oven – they can't be beat! Yes, you can use them for hot dogs too!

Lisa Imerman July 24, 2013 at 5:03 pm

Where do you find potato flour vs. starch? I have only seen potato starch

Ellen August 2, 2013 at 5:32 pm

It’s a little harder to find. You’d have luck at a place like Whole Foods or you can order it online, I’m sure. If you still can’t find it, let me know.