• Make Your Own Hummus

by Ellen on July 6, 2007 · 20 comments

Just a quick note………..have you noticed that I regularly continue to add gluten free blogs to my list of gluten free blogs? It is just amazing how many of us are out there. We are a strong and mighty force, aren’t we? Welcome to all of you – I’m so glad to make your cyber-aquaintance!

This week, oh, yes, much cooking, experimenting. Too many to name at this late hour. But I will share a few things:

Made gluten free pizza crust (from Bette Hagman gluten free cookbook – so easy) and then slapped a bunch of yummies on it (carmelized onion, broccoli, tomato sauce, mozzarella cheese), then ever so gently placed it on a pizza stone and then placed the stone on the barbeque grill. Closed the lid. Waited about 10 – 12 minutes. Done. So delicious!

Have been juicing lately with our Champion juicer. My fave – beet, carrot, apple, ginger juice. Yum.

If you’ve never made your own hummus, you owe it to yourself to try it. Man oh man, it is so easy. I mean, you can definitely open a can of chickpeas and go that route. Nothing wrong with that. But if you’re feeling like going the from-scratch route, it’s also easy. You cook the chickpeas (40 minutes in the pressure cooker – 20 minutes to let the pressure release naturally or cook in a regular saucepan or I suppose in a crockpot), dump in the food processor, add a smidge of olive oil, some tahini (sesame seed paste – most grocery stores carry this), fresh garlic cloves, S&P, fresh lemon juice. Mix. Eat with spoon. Dip fingers into it. Dip crackers, carrot sticks, celery, gluten free bread. I cooked up 1 1/2 cups of the chickpeas and it made a massive amount of hummus. We’ll have it for at least a week if not more, though I don’t think it’ll last that long since both Peter and I love it so much, we would practically smear it all over ourselves and eat it. But oh my, I’m not going to go there:).

I have collard greens in my frig. I’ve never eaten them, never cooked them. But in an effort to eat more greens, I’m trying everything that I can get my hands on. Anyone with any suggestions for how too cook them (or eat them raw), please let me know.

Gotta run………on a new exercise kick. My daughter is getting married in October and I’m doing everything I can to look svelte. Getting up really early to hit the gym. Must hit the sackaroony.

Ginger July 6, 2007 at 11:38 am

Don’t eat them raw! I chop them up and cook them in some chix broth and add some great Northern white beans, bay leaf and onion and then when it is finished top it off in my bowl with a bit of parm chz. Beans and greens – delish. Or I cook them with a smoked ham hock and some onion. Or saute them in olive oil and garlic and a dash of red pepper flake. I love greens.

NoGlutenPlease July 6, 2007 at 3:00 pm

I am also pleased to see such a growing online gluten-free community. I’m a newbie! Thanks for your upbeat ideas and long list of links to help introduce me to some fellow gluten-freebies.

Ellen July 6, 2007 at 6:40 pm

Ginger – no, I wouldn’t eat them raw – I’d break my teeth!!! Your recipe sounds delish. Thanks for the idea.

No gluten please – welcome to our world. It’s wonderful to have you on board. Please stay in touch.

Slacker Mom (aka Mrs. GF) July 7, 2007 at 10:23 am

Ellen – the pizza did not fall apart on the grill?? Really? That amazes me. Did you have to oil the heck out of your grill? How did you get it off?

I loved pizza on the grill, but never thought that gf crusts could hold up!

Hope you are enjoying this great weather…

Anonymous July 7, 2007 at 11:42 am

Thanks for writing such an informative blog. I’m the wife of a GF man and we discovered that P.F. Chang’s has a GF menu. We went out for dinner on his birthday last month and he loved that fact that he can continue to eat there.

Ellen July 7, 2007 at 6:12 pm

Hi slacker mom – no, it didn’t fall apart – that’s because I put it on a pizza stone (I first put some cornmeal on the stone) and then put the pizza stone on the grill. It worked so well that I went out today and bought another pizza stone. We can only fit one pizza stone at a time on the grill, but we can do the prep work for both pizzas at the same time, cook the first one, then while eating the first one, the second one can be put on the grill. They only took about 10 – 15 minutes each. But you have to watch them as they can quickly overcook, making the cheese too brown for my liking. They were excellent!

Slacker Mom (aka Mrs. GF) July 8, 2007 at 11:50 am

Hmm, pizza stone..great idea. Now I will have to get one..since I gave my gluten one away…

Thanks for sharing that great idea!

Dianne July 8, 2007 at 12:14 pm

Interesting info on the pizza’s, I’ve more or less given up on them. Maybe I should give them another go!

Ellen July 8, 2007 at 1:16 pm

Yes, Slacker Mom. You know all those 20% coupons we get for Bed, Bath & Beyond and Linens & things (by the way, you can use the coupons at either store – they honor them). Go directly to buy one. You will be a happy little pizza eater, I promise.

Dianne – there is no maybe about it. You will also be happy – pizza again!!! Yay! And I’m not kidding when I say delicious pizza.

Susan July 9, 2007 at 8:08 am

Hi, Ellen! In answer to your ? re: bolting cilantro, please have a look at my post “A Puzzle & a Prize.”

2007/07/puzzle-and-prize.html

Bolting (AKA going to seed) means a plant that has been grown for its produce begins to shut down, sending up flowers (which are usually where the seeds develop) to ensure another crop. In the case of cilantro, the original culinary leaves disappear and are replaced by what you see in the photos. If you want cilantro all season long, you have to stagger planting every few weeks. It is very short lived. Hope this info helps.

You’ve got some great recipes here. I especially love the Indian and vegetarian ones – must try the tagine and chana dal pilaf.

Lisa July 10, 2007 at 10:21 am

OOH, hummus….this is great…never knew how to cook them before, will give it a try! Love making things from scratch.

David F July 10, 2007 at 10:41 am

Collard Greens are even fine blanched.

Here’s a tip on preparation: Grab it by the stem with one hand, then put a higher part of the stem between two fingers (say, at the base of the V between your index and middle fingers). Then move that V along the stem where the leaf is, stripping the leaf off the steam in one easy move. You can then bunch up the leafy portion for easy chopping.

I hope that wasn’t too confusing…and offer best wishes on the upcoming wedding.

Shannon July 10, 2007 at 3:24 pm

Hmmm…we have been grilling pizza for a while and never use a stone. We put the crust on first andgrill until nearly done (2/3-3/4 of the way) while it is still on the grill we put on the toppings, turn down the heat and cover the grill. This way the cheese has a chance to melt. You definitely have to keep an eye on it, though. I have not made dough from scratch. We have been successful with both Namaste and Chebe pizza mixes (I think I prefer Chebe.)

As for collard greens…post the recipe if it turns out. I tried them a few months back and EW! Not sure what I did wrong. They were tender, but so bitter that I dumped the entire pan.

Sheltie Girl July 11, 2007 at 7:52 am

Thanks for the tip on putting the pizza stone on the grill. I used to grill pizza before becoming gluten free and have really missed the smoked flavor.

Good luck with your exercise program!

Sheltie Girl @ Gluten A Go Go

Karen July 12, 2007 at 11:40 pm

I never would have thought to use the piiza stone of the grill. Brilliant!

Karen

Joe Lewis July 14, 2007 at 11:55 pm

Hummus is an addiction of mine. I really have to try this one.

With apologies – I pinged you in a blog meme. Here’s the link if you’d like to participate:

If there are supposedly 1 in 133 of us with this condition, I wonder what percentage of those have been diagnosed? Probably prettly low, eh? I took me something like 12 years to get a diagnosis and start feeling normal again.

Cheers- Joe

PearlyWrites, LLC July 15, 2007 at 11:07 am

I just found your blog and thank you! My husband also has decided to be gluten free with me BUT he is the chef and baker. I’ve tried and my things come out blah while his creations are AMAZING! He makes a GF Banana Cake that is so light and fluffy, WOW. Thanks and I will visit often.

Ellen August 27, 2007 at 10:27 am

Dear PearlyWrites,

Thanks for stopping by my blog. I visited your website and have bookmarked it for future reference.

I would love to make your husband’s GF banana cake. Any chance he would share the recipe? My daughter has a wedding coming up in October and I am looking for alternatives for the cake that I will be eating.

Nikki January 11, 2011 at 11:42 am

Hummus is a huge favorite around my house. It is so easy to make and so good for you! It's a great on the go snack as well. I know I will never starve if I have this protein rich snack with me.

Crystal January 12, 2011 at 3:07 pm

Collard Greens! Easy!
    Fry some bacon then onion, and garlic with a little olive oil or start boiling hamhocks and add greens when they're half way done.
    After washing the greens roll long ways and cut into 1in. strips. Dump it all in a large pot of water and turn it up to a low boil. Check the tenderness to desired amount. Also add a little apple cider vinegar (about 1tblsp). Watch it though! You could either ruin it or really inhance the flavor. Salt to taste.
    Enjoy!