• Ellen’s Raw Green Smoothie

by Ellen on August 24, 2007 · 10 comments

Yay! I’ve done it! I’ve finally made and tried a green smoothie. And guess what? It is delicious!

I know what you’re going to say. It looks gross and you wouldn’t touch it with a ten foot pole. I would’ve said the same thing if I weren’t so determined to FINALLY try a green smoothie. After months of thinking about it, trying to find some alternative gluten free breakfasts, I finally did it. Eureka!

Here’s the thing. Ya’ just gotta get past the color. Blindfold yourself if you have to. I promise, I swear, it’s delicious.

Ellen’s Raw Green Smoothie

1 banana
    1 peach
    1/2 fuji apple
    1/2 cup blueberries
    1 cup purple grapes
    2 cups spinach
    2 pitted dates
    2 cups ice cubes
    1/2 cup water

Put all ingredients in blender. Whir!!!!!!!!!!!

Sheri August 27, 2007 at 7:49 pm

Totally picturing someone with a blindfold and a clothepin on the nose…LOL Actually, it sounds very good.

Ellen August 27, 2007 at 8:19 pm

Hi Sheri,

It IS good! I had one again this morning – they are almost addicting. But the color is pretty gross, for a smoothie:).

Ellen

Lisa August 28, 2007 at 10:54 am

I’m always up for new smoothie recipes (to get down all my supplements with). Can’t wait to try this! Great pic too!

Mansi Desai September 13, 2007 at 11:59 am

Wow, that’s something new for me!! might actually go fro trying it in a couple of days! sounds and looks interesting enough:)

Karina April 17, 2008 at 11:57 am

Ellen- Sounds healthful and delicious- just added it to today’s smoothie post! xoxo

mirihawk December 3, 2008 at 6:26 pm

The best way to have a green smoothie that looks yuckie is in a drink bottle – drink it while on the computer and just ignore it till its gone… ;)

Warm n Wonderful April 10, 2010 at 7:36 am

I bought a Blendtec a year ago and have made green smoothies for breakfast everyday for the past year. I generally use:
    1/2 apple
    1/2 pear
    2" cucumber
    1/2 stalk of celery
    few green grapes
    1/2 banana
    handful of spinach or kale
    3 ice cubes
    4oz water

Sometimes I add pineapple, or strawberries or blueberries. The latter 2 will turn the smoothie brown like the one you pictured.

I've converted many friends, because they taste so delicious.

I Am Gluten Free April 10, 2010 at 9:38 am

Hi Warm n Wonderful,

Your smoothie sounds like a winner! Thanks for stopping by!

Ellen

Michelle (Health Food Lover) July 2, 2010 at 11:42 am

I LOVE green smoothies!

Ohh your recipe sounds really nice! I would so drink that!

Mango is my favo combo with spinach!

noel September 21, 2013 at 5:13 pm

Just started drinking green smoothies myself and have found a perfect combo of 1 can coconut juice
    half frozen banana
    a few slices frozen mango
    2 kiwis
    2 to 3 handfuls spinich
    handful of kale
    and half an avacado
    this combo with powder probiotics and green max powder from swansons is ” The BOMB”