• Do You Eat Organic Food?

by Ellen on March 25, 2008 · 8 comments

I’ve been sporadically buying organic foods for the last few years, though haven’t completely converted to entirely organic. Mostly because of the cost, though as I’ve gotten more used to paying, for example, .79 a pound for bananas, it has become less painful. So, it’s a question of reformatting our budget and then knowing that eventually I’ll get used to the higher costs of buying organic.

Then of course there is the higher cost of not doing so and dealing with the physical manifestations. After reading this short piece (click on this link) about pesticides in the bodily fluids of children who do not eat organic food, it has given me an even greater reason to move more quickly to eating all organic food.

What do you think? Have you made the complete switch? If so, how has it impacted you and your family’s eating habits, health?

Darcy Elliott March 25, 2008 at 1:37 pm

We try to eat organic whenever we can. It’s definitely expensive. Can’t say I’ve noticed anything specific health wise, maybe just psychologically I like the idea that I’m doing it.

Darcy

~M March 25, 2008 at 2:20 pm

We shop 95% of the time at Whole Foods and I buy very few processed foods. I buy natural meats and organic eggs. I follow these guidelines for produce (and ketchup):

– The “Dirty Dozen” (starting with the worst): peaches, sweet bell peppers, celery, nectarines, strawberries, cherries, pears, grapes (imported), spinach, lettuce, potatoes, apples, raspberries, peanuts, ketchup, potatoes

– The “Cleanest 12″ (starting with the best): onions, avocados, sweet corn (frozen), pineapples, mangoes, asparagus, sweet peas (frozen), kiwi, bananas, cabbage, broccoli, papaya

I got most of this information from here.

Alex March 25, 2008 at 9:51 pm

I eat local and organic produce food so I can to stay healthy, support local farmers, and to help reduce global warming, air pollution, and toxic pesticides.

Here are some examples of fresh healthy foods that will be available in early April:

- New York: apples, carrots, onions, potatoes, turnips
    - Washington: apples, bamboo shoots, cauliflower, garlic, green onions, herbs, leaf lettuce, mushrooms, peas, spinach, and winter pears

GlutenFreeNetwork Richard March 28, 2008 at 5:43 pm

We tried this in the past when going gluten free but just could not afford it. I am hoping that with the growing trend that more and more places can provide organic and gluten free food at a much lower cost.

Anonymous March 29, 2008 at 1:43 pm

Hi Ellen,

I have been reading your site amongst other GF sites for nearly three months now (the same time frame that I have been GF) and I find the site so useful so thank you.
    In reply to your question, We (me and my boyfriend)have been buying Organically on and off for nearly three years now. Saying that,it can be very pricey and I find responsible buying works well for me. Here in Somerset, UK,b we are spoiled for choice regarding Farmers markets and farm shops. I would rather buy locally produced beef that was not organic to support the producer than to buy organic, as the price would triple.
    We also have Veggie Box schemes here that are organic, this works well for us as we buy a small box for just under ten pounds a week and we eat it all between the both of us.
    At the end of the day,I go with what my budget allows.

Best wishes

Dayna :O)

California Supermom March 29, 2008 at 8:30 pm

Hi, my family and I try to eat organic as often as we can. If anything, I try to buy organic mostly for my son who is GFCF. It’s very expensive though. As another blogger wrote, I’m hoping more places will offern lower prices now that a lot more people are going organic.

kaysdays April 6, 2008 at 9:41 am

Yes! I eat organic! Mostly stuff I grow myself. Summers are delightful here in the Midwest. I have a cherry tree and raspberry bushes. Gooseberries and black currants are blended into the landscape. Sweet red onions nestle between the flowers. I have beautiful tomatoes, cucumbers and peppers in the FRONT yard gardens. Pole beans climb strings tied to a ring that hangs from the barn roof. (It’s just a mini-barn, so I don’t hurt myself picking beans.) Interesting squash plants line the driveway. I tested some red okra in the back garden last summer. It’s so pretty it could be promoted to the front yard this year.

Some years, I have so much extra produce that I have a little farmers market at my favorite Cheers-type bar. I get the whole stage because the jazz band doesn’t need it until later in the evening.

I buy organic fertilizers from Gardens Alive! since other kinds give me migraines. (Weed ‘n’ Feed season is really hard on me. Strolling through a landscaped office park can cause me pain for days!)

I buy more organic products now, since Kroger (big grocery chain) now offers affordable products I use – ketchup, chicken broth, tomatoes, and peanut butter. I can also buy Bob’s Red Mill products at some of their larger stores.

Thanks for your great blog! The GF bloggers have really helped me through my recent lifestyle alterations. I’ve been wheat, corn, and soy-free since Jan. 1, 2008. The early days were tough. You helped a LOT.
    Kay

bbg. April 13, 2008 at 10:10 am

i have also been trying to eat mostly organic for some time… shopping at trader joe’s made it more affordable, and one of the local grocery stores also had some items that were only about 50 cents more for organic. recently though, we signed up for an organic delivery service which is great! they deliver the in-season produce and it allows me to experiment more with different fruits and vegetables. i definitely notice the taste as being much better, and read an article on how organic food has to fight so much more to stay alive without pesticides, and that’s why the taste is richer. either way, i feel better not putting all of the chemicals in my body! thanks for bringing up this topic!