• Gluten Free Blueberry Pancakes

by Ellen on August 30, 2008 · 16 comments

It has taken me 2 1/2 years of gluten free cooking and baking to feel brave enough to experiment with recipes in order to add my own personal stamp to them. Sometimes, the results go directly into the round file (read: trash!). But more often than not, the results are quite delicious. For example, last week I made waffles that were a product of my tinkering to find a combination of ingredients that I liked. And eureka, it worked.

This morning, I challenged myself to figure out my own recipe for gluten free, dairy free pancakes. I’ve made them before, following recipes from some of the gluten free gurus who have paved the way for all of us (Bette Hagman, of blessed memory, Carol Fenster, etc.). Today, I assembled a combination of gluten free ingredients that I can proudly call my own Gluten Free Blueberry Pancake recipe, using Bette Hagman’s gluten free mix (from The Gluten-free Gourmet cookbook).

Gluten Free Blueberry Pancakes
    recipe by Ellen Allard (flour mixture by Bette Hagman)

1 cup gluten free flour mix (see below)
    1 tablespoon flaxseed meal
    1 teaspoon baking powder
    1/2 teaspoon baking soda
    1 tablespoon sugar
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    2 tablespoons vegetable oil (I used safflower)
    1 egg
    1/2 teaspoon vanilla
    1 cup plain soymilk
    1 teaspoon lemon juice
    1 cup blueberries

Mix the flour mixture, flaxseed meal, baking powder, baking soda, sugar, and salt together in a medium-sized bowl. Add the oil, egg, vanilla, soymilk, lemon juice and mix until just blended. Add the blueberries and blend to mix them into the batter.

Drop 2 tablespoons of batter per pancake (or more if you like them bigger) onto the griddle. When the top of the pancake looks almost completely dry, flip the pancake and cook until the other side is finished.

Top with maple syrup and dig in.

BTW, if you want to make them vegan, eliminate the eggs. I haven’t experimented much with egg substitutes, but I would recommend that you do a little investigating. There are options (someday I’ll blog about them).

Gluten Free flour mix
    2 parts white rice flour
    2/3 part potato starch flour (NOT potato flour)
    1/3 part tapioca flour

Mix ingredients together and store until ready to use. For the pancake recipe above, use one cup of this mixture. You can buy these ingredients at Whole Foods. Sometimes you can find these ingredients at Indian or Asian grocery stores. You can also order them online. Our local Celiac support group has a yearly sale where they sell large quantities of these ingredients – that’s when I tend to stock up my pantry.

Lori August 30, 2008 at 10:04 am

Can’t wait to try this, I’ve been using Pamela’s Baking mix as my crutch because I’m never sure how much and what flours to combine, thank you!!!

I Am Gluten Free August 30, 2008 at 1:00 pm

Lori – Pamela’s baking mix is great, especially if you’re in a rush and don’t have the time to combine flours. But when you time on your side, it’s fun to experiment. Let me know how you make out with this recipe, OK? I’d love to hear about your success (hopefully!). ~Ellen

Sally Parrott Ashbrook August 31, 2008 at 8:28 am

Yum!

I’m glad you’ve gotten comfortable with experimentation. :)

I Am Gluten Free August 31, 2008 at 8:41 am

Hi Sally – yes, it’s been sort of liberating in fact. And it is giving me the courage to try more experimentation. Thanks for stopping by! I hope all is well with you!

Sophie September 2, 2008 at 7:17 pm

These sound delicious. Lately I’ve been using Pamela’s mix for pancakes, but that can get pretty darn expensive! Hehe I just saw that another gal did the same thing. I’m going to try to make my own, sooner or later! Blueberry pancakes are my favorite, though. Awesome recipes you’ve got here :).

Sophie

Shai September 9, 2008 at 10:32 am

The recipe sounds so awesome. I have had a stroke of luck recently. I love being gluten free, but sometimes mixing the flour for some of my cake recipes and breads is so much work. I recently discovered a certified gluten free flour. Its a chia flour by Nuchia Foods. It can be substituted in most recipes one for one. The best part is ,its already mixed. I have made some awesome cookies and brownies, and my husband loves it. Check it out at http://www.nuchiafoods.com

Carol Peters June 7, 2009 at 6:49 am

Substitute 2 ounces mashed banana per egg. I don't measure, simply use 1/2 banana for 1 egg.

The Gluten-free 'Dish' August 29, 2009 at 10:36 am

I love pancakes and these look awesome! Congratulations and thanks for sharing with us. ~Debbie

徵信社 November 29, 2009 at 4:00 am

I love it! Very creative!That's actually really cool.
    謝謝你的文章分享,請你有空到我
    馬城界隨意部落格
    參觀,Thanks

melissa September 13, 2011 at 9:07 am

Thanks for this pancake recipe! Our family is switching to gluten-free and we are so overwhelmed, sine we eat so much of it!!!
    I look forward to trying this recipe soon!

Christan Adams October 24, 2012 at 2:55 pm

Hey!! Great website! Do you have a gluten free bread recipe, like your pancakes where you let the grains soak? I am really getting into the Sally Fallon cookbook and I want to soak my grains, but I can’t find a g-free bread recipe.
    Thanks!!!
    Christan

marci November 7, 2012 at 5:17 pm

I have been transitioning to gfdf for the past 6 months and I have found this site to be the most helpful with flavors, recipes and my love for bread. THANK YOU. i think this is the best site for my family and really enjoy all recipes, comments, and input. thanks again.

Karen January 10, 2013 at 12:57 pm

Hi, I was just diagnosed with gastritis and was told to eat gluten free and dairy free, I have been dreading the switch because of the gluten free thinking it would not be good.
    Well let me tell you these pancakes are wonderful**** I love them, had them for supper and and breakfast the next day! thank you so much for sharing.

Ellen January 10, 2013 at 1:31 pm

Oh Karen – I’m SOOO thrilled! Keep up your great attitude. You’ll find it quite easy, I promise, to make the switch and your health will just skyrocket as a result.