• Smart Is As Smart Does

by Ellen on August 15, 2008 · 9 comments

I’ve been trying to figure out how to reclaim breakfast as my favorite meal of the day AND still get the best bang for my buck when it comes to nutrition. I can safely say that this breakfast cereal is meeting my requirements. Where it lacks in crunch (usually an important criteria for my breakfast), it makes up for in taste. And it is definitely a nutritional powerhouse. My nutritionist, Melinda Dennis, would be pleased as punch to know that not only have I found a way to add healthy grains to my diet, this recipe is a triple home run.

I must give credit where credit is due. I found the recipe at this website. Wardeh, the owner and writer of GNOWFGLINS (her blog), is a gifted writer and clearly an experienced and generous cook. Thank you Wardeh!

Since I’m the only one eating it, I’ve adapted the recipe so that it makes one portion. I’ve made it several times and I’ve had the most success using a crockpot. At Wardeh’s recommendation, I use only organic ingredients. Please see her post for an explanation.

Genius Breakfast Cereal
    2 tbsp millet
    1 tbsp quinoa
    1 1/2 tsp amaranth
    1 1/2 cups water
    pinch salt
    1/16th tsp cinnamon (basically a small pinch)
    1 tbsp raisins
    1 tbsp chopped pecans
    agave or honey to taste

Rinse the grains well in a fine-mesh strainer. Unless your strainer is really fine, don’t rinse the amaranth. The grains are really small and will fall through the holes.

Put them into a crockpot. I used a small one (I think it’s about 3 1/2 quarts). Add water and salt.

I cooked this overnight on low for eight hours. That didn’t work! It might be because I added an extra cup of water just to make sure I didn’t scorch it! When I awoke for my first 6 AM rollover in the morning, I stumbled down to the kitchen, poured out a cups’ worth of water, and raised the temperature on the crockpot to high. It cooked that way for about 3 more hours and was then finished. Having said that, I’m not sure what instructions to give you. Not to mention that every crockpot has its’ own personality and therefore cooking times vary from one crockpot to another. I don’t think I would set it to high and leave it overnight unless you were only sleeping for four hours. The next time I make it in the crockpot, I will use the exact amount of water in the recipe, set the crockpot on high, and then before I go to bed, I will set the timer to begin cooking on high four hours before I want to eat it. That should do it. Experiment and see what works for you.

When it was finished, I added the cinnamon, raisins, pecans, and sweetener. I used a combo of honey and agave syrup.

I finished eating it and immediately felt really smart:).

Wardeh at GNOWFGLINS August 15, 2008 at 10:09 am

I am thrilled that you enjoy this recipe! Way to go on cutting down the portion and making the crockpot work for you. I am going to add a link on my recipe to your variations, do you mind? Thanks for the kind words.

Love, Wardeh @ GNOWFGLINS

I Am Gluten Free August 16, 2008 at 8:39 am

Hi Wardeh – by all means, please add a link from your recipe to my variation. I am delighted with the recipe. I am amazed, each time I eat it, at how satisfied my tummy feels. It must have good stuff in it, eh?!!! Thank you so much for posting about it in the first place.

Gill - That British Woman August 16, 2008 at 2:00 pm

Hi there,

You were asking some questions on homemade laundry soap on Down To Earth way back last year. Not sure if you are still interested in it, but I made the laundry soap yesterday and have photos and where I got the ingredients from

Gill :0) (should say I live in Canada)

zebe912 August 16, 2008 at 5:13 pm

I have never been able to get into oatmeal or hot cereals for breakfast because they always look so slimy and mushy. However, I know I like these grains so this may be the way to try a cereal again to see if I like it. If I make some I will probably do stovetop or microwave just because I won’t sleep well knowing the crockpot is on while I’m sleeping.

Wardeh @ GNOWFGLINS August 17, 2008 at 2:52 pm

Thanks! I will do that today.

Also — did you see this variation of the recipe that includes teff, another power house grain?

GF 4-Grain Breakfast Porridge

Love, Wardeh

I Am Gluten Free August 17, 2008 at 11:34 pm

Hi Gill – yes, I’d love any information you can share about making the homemade laundry soap. Thanks!

Hi Zebe – I used to feel the same way about being uncomfortable leaving the crockpot on while we slept. But for some reason, I just got past it. It’s on such a low setting – kind of like leaving a light one overnight. Also, I used to detest mushy cereals – but if you add chopped nuts and dried fruit and a sweetener, it’s actually decent!

Wardeh – I love the variation on a theme. I haven’t been able to find the teff grain anywhere – I’ve found the teff flour, but not the grain. Any suggstions? Thanks!

Ellen

Sophie August 19, 2008 at 7:52 am
    Amanda on Maui July 29, 2009 at 6:57 pm

I wish I had access to millet here. The funny thing is, there is millet at the local grocery store, and it is grown locally, but it's for chicken feed!