• Celebrating with Tempeh Reubens!

by Ellen on October 13, 2008 · 12 comments

PLEASE HELP! Before I post about tonight’s yummy dinner, I’m reaching out to see if any of my Blogger colleagues can help me. My sidebar has disappeared in some browsers (Internet Explorer being one of them). It shows up in Firefox, which I use. I have no idea how to fix it. If anyone has any suggestions, I would be SO grateful. Almost three years of work creating the sidebar vanished into thin air and I have no idea why it happened. If you have any suggestions, please email me at birdwoman5151 AT yahoo DOT com.

Tonight we are having a celebration of sorts. For the last few days, I’ve been walking without my cane about 50% of the time. Those who are new to this blog might not know that I fell off my bicycle about 6 weeks ago and fractured my pelvis in three places. Yes, it was a big ouch. I walked with a walker, then two crutches, then one crutch, then my trusty cane. I still take the cane with me when we leave the house, but I’m relying on it less and less each day. So, that’s enough cause for celebration, don’t you think?

And what does a gluten free blogger do to celebrate? Why, she rolls up her sleeves and gets cooking! Tonight, we had something I’ve never made before – Tempeh Reuben sandwiches. Each sandwich consisted of two pieces of gluten free bread (my preference would have been slices from a Breads from Anna mix, by far the best mix on the gluten free market, in my humble opinion. Being without it is painful, but in a pinch I’ll use another mix.) I then added some grilled tempeh slices (I used a marinade from Heidi Swanson’s 101 cookbooks blog), thinly sliced Ba-Tempte Garlic Sour pickles, sauerkraut, thinly sliced red onion, and thousand island dressing from one of my favorite vegan blogs called ‘Where’s The Revolution?’. Sounds fab, doesn’t it?!? I’m not eating dairy, but Peter is, so his sandwich had thinly sliced swiss cheese which got all melty and gooey when I grilled the sammies.

I did some menu planning for the next four days, including the reubens. Here’s what it looks like:

Monday
    Tempeh Reubens
    Baked French Fries

Tuesday
    Black Bean chili
    Corn tortillas
    Guacomole
    Salsa
    Southwestern Corn Pudding (from Veganomicon)

Wednesday
    Vegan Mac & Cheese (my take from Karina’s gluten free goddess blog)
    Mixed Green Salad with Balsamic Dressing

Thursday
    Leftovers from one of the last three nights!

Bon Appetit! Tell me, what will you be cooking this week?

aTxVegn October 13, 2008 at 2:30 pm

Your weekly menu looks wonderful. I don’t know why you were using a cane, but congratulations on not needing it as much.

I Am Gluten Free October 13, 2008 at 3:38 pm

Hi atxvegan – I fell off my bike about 6 weeks ago and fractured my pelvis. I posted about it sometime in the last six weeks. Things are looking up, though! Thanks for stopping by!

Dana Wax October 13, 2008 at 11:35 pm

Congrats on using your cane less, Ellen!!! As someone who’s sprained each ankle 16 times- yes eight times on each foot – in her short 22 years, I both sincerely sympathize with your having to use a mobility aid and share your joy in the fact that you get to STOP using it (or at least, get to use it less and less and less…)

Your rubens look so delicious and they make me want to make some of my own. That will have to wait, however, as this week I will be making the acorn squash I have in my fridge and lots and lots of apple related things I have from the 3 bags of apples I got apple picking on sunday.

My boyfriend is visiting this week, so I’m hoping he’s going to like having apple turnovers for breakfast, applesauce with lunch, and apple pie for dessert. Scratch that, I don’t have to hope – he will like it, if he knows what’s good for him, hehe.

bazu October 15, 2008 at 10:25 am

I’m sorry about your sidebar- I have no clue! I’ve been forced to use safari web browser for the last few weeks instead of my beloved firefox, and it’s been horrible.

Oh I could so go for a reuben right now… tonight, I’m planning on roasting an eggplant and making sandwiches with it.

Allie October 20, 2008 at 4:36 pm

hey ellen — sorry about your sidebar! I noticed the other week that all your previous posts are missing, and they still are! OH NO — did you try getting in touch with blogger support? or maybe google-search the issue?

FYI – I’m viewing on a mac in Safari….

good luck – that reuben looks AMAZING.

renee.jones October 21, 2008 at 12:29 pm

Just found your blog. I am a gluten-free vegan and fractured my pelvis 3 1/2 weeks ago when my horse threw me. VERY painful and NO FUN! I’m back on my feet – single simple fracture, but not yet back to work. Can’t wait to make the reubens! Hang in there!

Sharon October 22, 2008 at 10:06 am

Sounds like a great menu!

And I hope things work out for your sidebar!

Allie October 23, 2008 at 11:20 am

your sidebar is back on sub-pages! that’s good… it’s still not on the homepage though— hope you found someone to help!

I Am Gluten Free October 23, 2008 at 12:12 pm

Hi Allie – no, I haven’t found anyone to help. Do you have any colleagues who might be interested? I’d pay them:). I really want to get it fixed. And congrats on your engagement! My daughter got married last Oct. 20 on the cape – it was a beautiful wedding! Great time of year to get married. Mazel tov!
    Ellen

~M October 23, 2008 at 7:51 pm

I was hoping you could tell me what made you choose a Blendtec…I’m debating between a Vitamix and Blendtec. Thanks!

Jamie aka gluten free mom October 27, 2008 at 1:30 pm

Looks fabulous – can’t wait to try this and some of your other recipes.
    sorry, i can’t help on the sidebar issue.

Allie October 28, 2008 at 9:55 am

Unfortunately the group I work in does not do interactive – I asked around to see if anyone knew anything about Blogger, but it looks like I’m the only one with a blog! if I find someone I’ll let you know!

Thanks for the congrats! :)