• Winter Slaw: New Horizons!

by Ellen on January 21, 2009 · 17 comments

What do you think of when you think of slaws? Me, I think of coleslaw. Now, don’t get me wrong, I love cabbage coleslaw with a sweet and sour mayonnaise type dressing! But after reading a post at one of my favorite blogs, I decided to expand my slaw horizons. All of a sudden, winter salads have a whole range of new possibilities! Thank you for the inspiration Wardeh!

I opened the frig and pulled out anything that I thought had potential. Then I began chopping. It took me about 10 minutes, that’s it folks. Short, sweet, easy. I had some leftover salad dressing from last nights’ supper, but even if I needed to make it from scratch (which I do on a regular basis), it only takes about 1 minute to make your own dressing.

Here’s what my slaw consisted of today. When I run out of these ingredients and do my next grocery shopping, the combination could be very different. By adding winter slaw to my rotation of lunch salads, it will definitely help me look at produce differently. I can’t wait till my next trip to the market!

red cabbage, finely chopped
    collard leaves, stripped from enter vein, rolled then sliced thinly then finely chopped
    kale, stripped from enter vein, rolled then sliced thinly then finely chopped
    carrots, finely chopped
    red and yellow pepper, finely chopped
    grape tomatoes, diced into quarters
    arugula, finely chopped
    baby spinach, finely chopped
    parsley, finely chopped
    celery, finely chopped
    basil, finely chopped
    turnip, finely chopped
    mung bean sprouts
    pumpkin seeds

Dressed with balsamic vinagrette:
    Olive oil
    Balsamic vinegar
    Dijon mustard
    Agave syrup
    Minced garlic

One of these days, I’ll measure it and post the measurements. Meanwhile, it’s fun to just trust yourself and eventually you’ll learn the exact ingredient amounts just by the color of the combined ingredients or by the way the dressing slips off the whisk after you mix it.

Diane of The W.H.O.L.E. Gang’s gluten free blog has a post with links to lots of recipes using kale, one of the ingredients in my Winter Slaw. Take a look.

What are your suggestions for ingredients to add to my winter slaw?

GFE--gluten free easily January 21, 2009 at 8:18 pm

The salad slaw looks terrific! Great idea. I think I’d add some slivered almonds for extra crunch and protein. ;-)

Shirley

Elizabeth Joy January 21, 2009 at 8:29 pm

Yes! You’ve got it! Your salad ideas are perfect and what I love to eat every day.

Here’s to nutrition!

Gluten-free Sue January 22, 2009 at 8:50 am

I never thought of shredding in the more delicate greens like arugula. Thanks for the idea! In return, here’s my favorite slaw — shredded raw beets and celery root (sometimes I add shredded carrot) tossed with a balsamic vinaigrette. For extra flavor, you can add a dash of dried tarragon. My kids love this one!

Wardeh at GNOWFGLINS January 22, 2009 at 12:38 pm

Beautiful slaw! I agree, shopping for produce is fun when it results in such beautiful and delicious healthy foods. Good for you!

Love, Wardeh
    at GNOWFGLINS

Stephanie January 23, 2009 at 1:46 pm

This looks beautiful! And my kids like red cabbage…

Have you tried Living Earth's "Living Salad"? It's filled with kale & collards, broccoli, carrots, cauliflower, red cabbage. Then they make a creamy, smoky dressing with cashews, Bragg's & lemon juice… I keep meaning to try to make it myself, but haven't. It's a great sub for the mayonnaisy stuff, and gets me eating greens that I love but don't usually eat raw!

Love the addition of turnips!

Ali (Whole Life Nutrition) January 23, 2009 at 11:51 pm

This looks great! Sometimes we do this for lunch and toss the finely chopped veggies into a bowl of quinoa, and then top it with toasted pumpkin seeds, a little olive oil, lime juice and sea salt.

BTW – I have added your blog to our blog.

Thanks, Ali

Kit January 24, 2009 at 2:14 pm

I bet apples cut julienee style would be good. Gala, Jonathans, something like that. I’m doing this tonight!

I Am Gluten Free January 26, 2009 at 4:50 pm

GFE – slivered almonds – great idea! Thanks!

Elizabeth Joy – I’ve been very consciously trying to make everything I eat nutritious. Now that I’m in a groove, it’s easy. So, yes, here’s to nutrition!

Gluten-free Sue – thanks for sharing your idea. I love the idea of shredding beets – I don’t usually think of eating them raw, but why not?!

Wardeh – thank you for the inspiration in the first place. I love your blog and consider it a go-to for ideas!

best, Ellen

Health Nut January 26, 2009 at 10:23 pm

I never thought of making slaw with anything other than cabbage. This looks and sounds delicious, thanks!

Emily February 2, 2009 at 2:26 pm

I just made this one for Sunday dinner and added some cooked shrimp. It was delicious! Thanks for the idea!

I Am Gluten Free February 2, 2009 at 11:15 pm

Hi Stephanie – how are you? I haven’t tried any take out salads from LE. Yum, cashews, Bragg’s and lemon juice. Do you have a recipe for it? Sounds delish.

~Ellen

I Am Gluten Free February 2, 2009 at 11:17 pm

Ali – isn’t it amazing how the whole world of grains opens up when you think of adding veggies and turning it into a salad?

Kit – yes, apples, what a good idea!

Health Nut – glad I could open your slaw possibilities!

Emily – sounds like you found a family winner!

~Ellen

Stacey February 6, 2009 at 11:57 am

This looks so good! I love all the colors.

Jenn February 28, 2010 at 3:21 am

Love how much variety and diversity of veggies is in this, and it looks great! I always forget to make salads and such in the winter, and need something bright and vitamin filled like this slaw for sure!

Diane-The WHOLE Gang February 28, 2010 at 4:52 pm

What a great idea! I too thought of slaw as coleslaw. Can't wait to try this out. Thank you for sharing it on Friday Foodie Fix.

Kit February 28, 2010 at 6:00 pm

I have a Facebook page "Gluten Free St. Louis," I'm linking to this wonderful slaw.