• Gluten Free Flour Tortillas – EASY PEASY!!!

by Ellen on June 15, 2009 · 20 comments

For the most part, I eat a very healthy diet, under strict orders from my nutritionist. But every once in awhile, this Gluten Free Diva strays off the path. Though I know full well that white flour (whether from wheat or rice) is stripped of much of its’ nutrients, when the “runs-with-scissors” side of me comes out to play, this recipe totally does the trick. Thankfully, the white rice flour is a little bit offset by the chickpea flour (we do like to justify, don’t we??!!). They are great with Mexican food. Heck, they’re even great for making sandwiches.

I have to thank the Vegan-and-Gluten-Free listserve for this one. This recipe was posted by Kim, one of the regular people who posts to the list. Kim – these are one of my faves. Thank you Kim!!!

Gluten Free Flour Tortillas

3/4 cup white rice flour
    1/4 cup chickpea flour (besan/garbanzo bean)
    1/2 cup potato starch flour (arrowroot works also)
    1/2 cup tapioca flour
    1/2 tsp guar gum (or use all xanthan gum)
    1/2 tsp xanthan gum
    1 tsp sea salt
    1 tsp GF baking powder
    1/4 cup olive oil (original recipe lists coconut butter but I used olive oil)
    3/4 – 1 cup very hot water

1. Mix white rice flour, chickpea flour, potato starch flour, tapioca flour, guar gum, xanthan gum, sea salt, and baking powder.

2, Add olive oil and blend until crumbly.

3. Add 1/2 cup of very hot water and knead.

4. Gradually add more water, a few tablespoons at a time, until you can knead the mixture into a ball with your hands. The first time I made these, I remember thinking that it didn’t seem like the dough was coming together, but no worries, it worked perfectly. I would be careful not to add too much water. You only want to add enough water to allow the mixture to come together into a dough that you can knead. Too much water and you’ll have a gloppy mess.

5. Split into balls. The original recipe says 8 – 10 balls, but I made them smaller and was able to make 11 balls. Cover with a damp towel and let sit until the skillet or griddle is hot.

6. If you don’t have a tortilla press, I would highly recommend that you invest in one. Here’s an example of the one I have. I bought it at a local Hispanic grocery store. I’ve also seen them at large supermarkets in their International Food section. See note below regarding their use.

7. If you don’t have a tortilla press, Kim suggests that you roll each ball into the size of a commercial corn tortilla, about 6″ (15 cm) wide. For a neat tortilla, cut around a small plate with a sharp knife. For best results, Kim suggests rolling the dough onto a sheet of baking paper, cutting around a plate and then flipping them off the paper into the pan. My edit: if you use a rolling pin to roll the balls into tortillas, I would suggest that you flour the rolling pin with some gluten free white rice flour. Otherwise, the dough might stick to the rolling pin.

8. Place on hot skillet or griddle until bubbles appear and then flip over. Toast for a few more seconds.

NOTE: These freeze beautifully. When they cool, lay them out on a large baking pan and slide into the freezer. After they’re frozen, put them into a ziplock freezer bag.

NOTE: If you spring for a tortilla press (highly recommended), there is a trick to using them. Open the press and lay a piece of saran wrap down so that it covers the top and bottom plate. Brush the saran wrap with oil (or you can use spray oil) before pressing down on the first dough ball. Open the press and gently peel the uncooked tortilla from the saran wrap. You might have to lift the saran wrap from the press before peeling the tortilla from it. Don’t skip this step – it really keeps the uncooked tortillas from falling apart into pieces.

zebe912 June 15, 2009 at 3:11 pm

I have some hummus and cheese dip that really need a soft scoopable bread to go with them. I used to use naan & pita but my GF versions of those have been horrible. Perhaps this is my next effort. I miss my hummus!!

Maerie June 15, 2009 at 6:25 pm

I make corn tortillas a lot. My trick for pressing them is to use a gallon ziplock bag. I cut the zipper off and split the two sides. Then all I do is lay it on top of the bottom plate of the press, put my dough ball on, fold over the top of the zip lock bag, and press it out. The top lifts right off of the tortilla and I just flip it over to get the bag off of the bottom side. No need to use oil on the corn tortillas. I will have to try the flour version. I miss flour tortillas very much and these look great!

aTxVegn June 15, 2009 at 8:59 pm

I wish I had seen this recipe earlier. I ate salad while everyone else ate flour tortilla wraps. I don't really love corn tortillas, so thanks for this recipe.

Diane-The Whole Gang June 18, 2009 at 2:20 pm

Everything you make looks so good.

I Am Gluten Free June 18, 2009 at 7:40 pm

zebe912 – no more missing your hummus! This is a perfect scooper!

Maerie – thanks for the tip – what a clever idea!

aTxVegn – next time, you'll be able to have your corn tortilla and eat it too:)

Diane – gosh, thanks! I appreciate the compliment. I take about 40 or 50 pictures for each post!

gfe--gluten free easily June 19, 2009 at 10:13 pm

Wow, Ellen, those look terrific! Thanks for the info on the tortilla press. It was very helpful. One of our support group families has a small tortilla press and makes corn tortillas whenever they host a meeting. It's so nice to have them homemade and fresh. :-)

Shirley

Holly June 26, 2009 at 2:10 pm

I made these today, and had a total failure! I wanted to ask if my use of a different flour than the chick pea might have caused this?

They looked nothing like yours! :( They were not pliable at all, and I wonder if the chick pea flour does that? Does it make them fluffier and soft?

Are these supposed to be soft so you can use them for wraps, etc?

Thanks for your blog!

I Am Gluten Free June 26, 2009 at 8:02 pm

Holly,

I would suggest that you try again, however this time use the chickpea flour and make sure to follow the steps exactly as written. I've made this dozens of times (it's a staple in our house) and they always comes out perfectly. Give it another try. Also, make sure the water is hot to the touch. Use less water at first, adding only as necessary. And make sure to use potato starch flour (sometimes called potato starch) NOT potato flour (there is a difference). Good luck! Keep me posted.

~Ellen

Anonymous August 17, 2009 at 5:26 pm

I made these yesterday for the 1st time, and later that day we had fajitas for dinner. OH MY! They were delicious! Everyone must try these! Great Job!!

I Am Gluten Free August 18, 2009 at 1:45 pm

Anonymous – I agree. They are so easy and so delicious. I use them as tortillas AND I use them to make regular ol' sandwiches. They defrost in a few seconds!

NatalieL December 7, 2009 at 9:58 am

These look super! I was curious…you mentioned the dairy free gluten free list serve….what is this and can anyone get included? I'm dairy free & my hubby is gluten free…would be fantastic if possible. :)

mare September 3, 2010 at 11:22 pm

Curious – have you tried with brown rice flour like the Food for Life ones?

I Am Gluten Free September 4, 2010 at 10:24 pm

NatalieL – I think I was referring to the Celiac listserve (the Icors one). There are actually a number of them, all good resources for those of us who must eat gluten free, or cook gluten free for a loved one.

mare – yes, I've tried the Food for Life brown rice flour rice wraps. I like them, and I also like the Trader Joe's brown rice wraps. I recently discovered a secret – if you wet the brown rice tortillas and then microwave them on high for 20 seconds, they are much easier to roll up.

Nikki January 11, 2011 at 11:13 am

I have to admit I am still daunted by the idea of making my own tortillas. However, this is high on the list of my families priorities for me to learn. There are so many great recipes that we are missing out on since my diagnosis this last spring that call for tortillas. And I just happen to have a gift card to amazon sitting in my purse. Maybe it's time to dip my little toe into the tortilla making waters…

kellyc4 January 15, 2011 at 10:16 pm

hmmm, love the idea of making my own tortillas (I have tried a few recipes) , but haven't found my "favorite" yet. I am not a fan of bean flours. Do you notice the bean? I am very sensitive to the scent. =0) I would love your thoughts. Thanks! Kelly

Christina January 16, 2011 at 7:01 pm

The trick for freezing is a great one! Of course, there aren't usually any leftovers when I make tortillas.

Chris February 11, 2013 at 5:49 pm

I know this post is old but I just found you this past month and I can’t tell you how happy I am that I did! These came out so good! I’ve been missing tortillas (among other things). Thank you!!!!

Ellen February 13, 2013 at 2:48 pm

Chris – welcome! Glad to have you on board!

ellie November 19, 2013 at 7:04 pm

I just invested in a flatbread maker. I tried making them withchickpea flour ,then millet flour and both times they were a failure.It was a recipe that came with the appliance using all purpose flour. I need to be gluten free with no rice so I’m having a hard time with this can you help me?Doesn’t the saran wrap burn or stick?

Ellen January 25, 2014 at 12:56 pm

My trusted source for using the flatbread maker that I bought is Breads From Anna, both for her bread mixes and recipes. Here is one that will help you: http://breadsfromanna.com/blogs/recipes/6274162-gluten-free-wraps-flatbread. Best of luck! BTW, you don’t leave the saran wrap on the flatbread maker.