• Chocolate Banana Strawberry Dairy-Free Milkshake

by Ellen on July 24, 2009 · 7 comments

I used to go to Friendly’s (ice cream restaurant) and think nothing of ordering a big, frosty chocolate milkshake. That was back in the days when I ate dairy. Now, if I want that milkshake thrill, I can create it right in my own kitchen and it tastes just like the ol’ dairy-filled chocolate milkshakes I used to order from Friendly’s. Except that when I’m finished drinking it, the mustache I wipe doesn’t have a stitch of dairy in it!

Chocolate Banana Strawberry Milkshake
    Click here for printable recipe

servings: makes one large glass

1 cup alternative milk (I used Trader Joe’s Unsweetened Soymilk)
    3 pitted dates
    1 tsp agave nectar
    1 tbsp cocoa powder
    1/2 frozen banana
    6 strawberries
    1 tsp vanilla
    2 ice cubes

Combine all in blender and whir. Drink immediately. When finished, wipe mustache.

What’s your favorite smoothie recipe?

Pam July 24, 2009 at 6:03 pm

Green smoothies made with spinach, peaches, and frozen banana's especially with choc. superfoods.

thedallasceliac July 24, 2009 at 6:34 pm

I love smoothies/milkshakes.

I make a green one with soymilk, spinach, frozen banana, blueberries, and yogurt.

Or a chocolate protein shake with chocolate soymilk, chocolate protein powder, and peanut butter.

Yum!

Andrea July 24, 2009 at 6:41 pm

it sounds frosty and delicious. I've been keeping bags of frozen fruit in the freezer so I can make smoothies whenever I want. Now you've given me the urge to add chocolate to my next one!

aTxVegn July 26, 2009 at 4:44 pm

This looks delicious! My favorite smoothie is pretty similar, chocolate, banana, and peanut butter.

BarefootMdn July 27, 2009 at 11:45 am

My favorite smoothie use to be a plain old soy milk, strawberry, banana smoothie, then one day I was craving strawberry ice cream. This is my quickie strawberry ice cream:

Place in blender 1 cup soy milk add frozen strawberries until until they come up above the surface of the milk. Add to this 1/4 of agave or maple syrup, 1/2 teaspoon of vanilla. Blend until desired smoothness of chunkiness.

laura July 29, 2009 at 8:48 pm

Thanks sooo much for sharing….
    regards Laura

gfe--gluten free easily August 2, 2009 at 9:32 pm

Looks terrific! I haven't been here in a while … I love your new look–those cookies in the header … oh my, I want to reach out and grab one! :-)

Shirley