• Gluten Free Blueberry Scones

by Ellen on August 23, 2009 · 23 comments

Sunday morning. Birds are chirping, sun is shining. Add a cup of tea (or coffee) and a gluten free blueberry scone, a little taste of heaven.

I could’ve made these totally from scratch, which is usually my modus operandi, but this morning I decided to take an easier route and use a gluten free mix: Pamela’s Baking & Pancake mix. There is a gluten free recipe on the bag for Pamela’s Scones but in typical I Am Gluten Free fashion, I tweaked.

Blueberry Scones
    Makes 10 scones

2 1/2 cups Pamela’s Baking & Pancake mix
    1 tsp baking powder
    1/3 cup sugar
    1/8 tsp. cinnamon
    1/8 tsp. nutmeg
    grated zest of one lemon
    4 tbsp Earth balance
    2/3 cup hemp milk (see note)
    1 egg
    1 cup blueberries (see note)
    turbinado sugar (optional)

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Combine the baking and pancake mix with baking powder, sugar, cinnamon, nutmet and lemon zest. Cut in the Earth balance with either two knives or pastry cutter. Add hemp milk and egg, combining with a fork. Add blueberries and combine until mixed in. Be careful not to overmix.

For best results, use medium-sized ice cream scoop to scoop batter onto nonstick silpat mat (great for gluten free baking). Otherwise, drop large spoonfuls of batter onto ungreased cookie sheet. Sprinkle a little bit of turbinado sugar on each scone before baking.

Bake 20 – 22 minutes. Let rest for five minutes on baking tray and then remove to rack and let rest at least 30 minutes before eating.

Notes:
    1. Hemp milk is great for gluten free baking. It can be bought at most Whole Foods or look for an online merchant. You can sub other types of milk, but I don’t think thinner milks (like almond or rice) will yield the same results.

2. Before mixing the blueberries with the batter, coat them with a little of Pamela’s mix to keep them from sticking.

I am eager to see how they come out if I use egg replacer instead of the egg. I’ll keep you posted or if you’ve had experience doing so, please share in the comments section.

Click here for printable recipe

Is your mouth watering yet??!!!

cottagesweet August 23, 2009 at 5:22 pm

Pamela's has the best gluten-free baking flours I've experienced and I'm always tweaking the recipes. Those blueberry muffins look awfully good. Who needs the gluten!?

Heather @CeliacFamily August 23, 2009 at 8:48 pm

Looks wonderful. I always have Pamela's baking mix in the pantry and I've got some blueberries that need to be used up. I may just have to try this tomorrow morning. Thanks!

darthtunaqueen August 23, 2009 at 10:53 pm

Mmmm!!! I live in Canada and don't have access to all of the pre-mixed stuff (and it tends to cost WAY more), but I am going to Washington state next week, so I will look for this mix! And since I can't eat eggs, I will substitute something in (although it will probably be apple sauce instead of egg replacer). Will let you know how it goes!!!

Any other suggestions of pre-mix I should pick up when I am down south?

I Am Gluten Free August 23, 2009 at 11:02 pm

Cottagesweet – I totally agree! I would serve my blueberry scones to anyone, gluten free or not!

Heather – let me know if you try it. Was a cinch to make and so delicious.

darthtunaqueen – I like Bob's Red mill mixes for certain things. I definitely would recommend Breads From Anna if you can find them. Whole Foods supposedly has some good mixes, though I haven't tried them yet. Good luck!

Alisa - Frugal Foodie August 23, 2009 at 11:16 pm

Those look heavenly!

thewholegang August 24, 2009 at 7:36 am

YUM! I've not used Pamela's baking mix. Does it have rice flour in it? Sounds like a great short cut!

I Am Gluten Free August 24, 2009 at 8:05 am

Alisa – they are heavenly – I just had one again for a morning snack and it was delish.

thewholegang – yes, Pamela's baking and pancake mix has white rice flour and I believe it also has sweet rice flour as well.

Alta August 24, 2009 at 2:52 pm

These look so great. I love Pamela's baking mixes. They yield pretty nice results. I haven't ventured out to make many GF flour mixes on my own yet, but it's hard to want to, when these are so good!

Ted August 24, 2009 at 9:51 pm

Congratulations! Our selection committee compiled an exclusive list of the Top 100 Celiac Disease Blogs, and yours was included! Check it out at http://thedailyreviewer.com/top/Celiac-Disease

You can claim your Top 100 Blogs Award Badge at http://thedailyreviewer.com/pages/badges

Cheers!

Ted…

Lori August 26, 2009 at 4:29 pm

The scones look delicious. My (celiac) daughter's boyfriend just made her a pound cake from Pamela's Cake mix and it was great. I'll have to try this one now.

I just love your blog and am so glad I discovered it!

Gina August 26, 2009 at 11:08 pm

Sounds amazing! I love scones!

Kathy September 1, 2009 at 2:38 am

Those look really good…you can substitute for one egg with a teaspoon of baking powder and 1 1/2
    Tablespoons each of water and oil.

Another option for the milk would
    be Vance's Dairy Free which can
    be made thicker by using less water.

CinnamonQuill September 3, 2009 at 12:45 pm

Seriously good-looking scones!

wheatlessfool September 5, 2009 at 10:12 pm

Those look scrumptious, and as I have about 30 qts of frozen blueberries waiting for me in the basement, I think as soon as I get over my current health trials I need to give this a whirl.

One question though, do you thing this would work as well with arrowhead mills baking mix? I know everyone raves about Pamala's (her shortbread swirls have been a shining spot while I tiptoe my way through figuring out celiac) but I'm allergic to almonds so that's out for me.

Thanks for all the hard work you do too… its sites like this that are keeping me from losing my mind as I relearn how to cook!

darthtunaqueen September 5, 2009 at 11:45 pm

I was rather dismayed after getting all the way down to Bellingham and finding it in the Co-op, to discover that the baking mix contains buttermilk. I cannot consume dairy in any of it's lovely forms (which is tragic, and probably my most frequent dietary violation).

Any thoughts on how to replace it? Can I just replace it 1:1 with Bette Hagman's flour and toss in some xanthan gum?

Anonymous September 10, 2009 at 8:16 pm

These are fantastic! I made them with regular 1% milk and added 2 tsp. of ground flax seed…came out perfectly. Can't wait for my blueberry loving teenager to try them. Your blog has been added to my GF favorites!

vincent September 23, 2009 at 12:59 pm

Hello,

We bumped into your blog and we really liked it – great recipes YUM YUM.
    We would like to add it to the Petitchef.com.

enjoy your recipes.

and benefit from their exposure on Petitchef.com.

To add your site to the Petitchef family you can use http://en.petitchef.com/?obj=front&action=site_ajout_form or just go to Petitchef.com and click on "Add your site"

Best regards,

Vincent
    petitchef.com

Michelle Loy, MPH, MS, RD October 8, 2009 at 10:22 pm

These look yummy! Thanks!

Anonymous November 22, 2009 at 10:07 pm

I made these and while they taste good, they are really flat and sad looking, not near as pretty as yours. Any suggestions?

Beth Stewart February 27, 2011 at 6:10 pm

I don't think these technically count as dairy free as Pamela's flour mix has milk in it.

Gluten Free Diva March 28, 2011 at 1:17 am

You are absolutely right, the mix does have cultured buttermilk in it. So sorry for the oversight!

Laura September 22, 2013 at 6:43 pm

What do you mean by earth balance? I know it’s a brand, but this recipe does not specify what product you mean. Thanks.

Ellen September 26, 2013 at 10:56 pm

I usually buy the soy-free Earth Balance in either the tub or sticks. That’s what I use.