• Gluten Free Recipe for Spicy 13 Bean Soup

by Ellen on September 23, 2009 · 13 comments

Can you imagine a soup made with thirteen different beans? I recently made this Spicy 13 Bean soup from a Bob’s Red Mill 29 ounce mix that includes navy, black, red, pinto, baby limas, large limas, garbanzo, red lentils, great northern, kidney beans, black-eyed peas, yellow splits, green splits, and lentils. It only includes beans and has no seasoning packet. You could always put together your own mix of beans. Use a kitchen scale and combine an assortment of different beans until they weigh 29 ounces.

In my last post, I shared a gluten free recipe for Parker House rolls. I also mentioned, though didn’t include the recipe, a Spicy 13 bean soup. But one of my readers asked for the recipe and I told her I would post about it shortly.

This is one of those soups that gets better after a few days in the frig. And though you couldn’t tell from today (a warm fall day in New England), the weather has started to get a little chillier and there’s nothing like a hot bowl of soup on a chilly evening.

I’m sure it could be made in a slow cooker, but I was home for the day so I decided to make it on the stove in one of my coveted cast iron soup pots. If you’re in the mood to experiment, add your own stamp to this recipe by changing the vegetables, and/or adding rice or noodles.

Spicy 13 Bean Soup

1 package Bob’s Red Mill 13 Bean Soup Mix
    1 15 oz. can diced tomatoes (with chilies, optional)
    1 cup tvp (textured vegetable protein)
    1 medium chopped onion
    2 small chopped zucchini
    4 medium diced carrots
    1 diced celery stalk
    2 minced garlic cloves
    8 cups water
    2 tsp bouillion powder (I love Better Than Bouillion)
    ½ tsp chipotle powder or regular chili powder
    1 tsp sea salt
    freshly ground pepper to taste
    optional: add a few cups of chopped greens (spinach, kale, chard, collards) during last 15 minutes of cooking

Rinse and soak beans overnight in water, drain. Add beans and all other ingredients to a large soup pot. Bring to a boil and then reduce heat to a slow simmer. Cook until beans and veggies are done. When I made this soup, it took about three hours from start to finish, not including soaking of the beans.

Click here for printable recipe

Pam September 23, 2009 at 4:13 pm

Looks good….love bean soup in the fall!

Jessica Meyer September 23, 2009 at 4:14 pm

This soup looks amazing! I am totally going to try it :) Love all your pictures!

atxglutenfree.wordpress.com

I Am Gluten Free September 23, 2009 at 4:28 pm

Thanks Pam & Jessica!!!! Yes, bean soup in the fall – perfect. And I'm so happy with my pix – just got a new camera – a Nikon D5000 and we're so happy with it!

Valerie September 24, 2009 at 12:52 am

This sounds fabulous! Yum!

CinnamonQuill September 24, 2009 at 5:24 pm

What a perfect fall soup!

Anonymous September 24, 2009 at 8:06 pm

Ok, I have a question about Bob's Red mill and their beans. I am a very, very sensitive Celiac and it's a real struggle. As far as I know, their beans are all packaged in the gluten part of the mill. Doesn't that mean that the dust in the bag is going to be contaminated? Do you just rinse the heck out of it and call it good? I used to use their lentils but once I realised it's from the gluten part of the mill, I've been too worried to try to deal with getting it clean enough, with so much dust in the bag. Any thoughts?

I Am Gluten Free September 24, 2009 at 9:06 pm

Anonymous – you bring up a very good point. I repeatedly rinse the beans before soaking them and have not had a problem. But if you're that sensitive, I definitely would find an alternative. You could create your own mix of beans from individual beans that you know for sure are GF. Hope that helps!

Ellen

The Healthy Apple September 26, 2009 at 8:12 am

Um; this recipe is prerfect for my dinner tnite…thank you; enjoy your weekend….love your blog!!!

Fayinagirl (means Free One) October 1, 2009 at 9:48 pm

Mmmm, looks so hearty and nourishing. I'm going to have to try making this on of these nights. =)

jacobithegreat October 7, 2009 at 10:19 am

Mmmm, I also love hot bean soups in the fall. Now if only it would cool down here!

linda October 16, 2009 at 1:04 pm

What is TVP? I have this bean blend -I live in Oregon and go to Bob's regularly but have yet to make this soup. help me with the TVP please!

goodnightstars May 31, 2010 at 9:38 am

this has nothing to do with the soup…but I have the exact same bowl…a set of them and plates too. :)

Jackolyn October 18, 2013 at 12:58 pm

I cannot find GF bouillion powder where I live but will make the soup anyway, sounds great.I just found your site today and am glad I did.