• Gluten Free Indian Naan & Kidney Bean and Veggie Curry

by Ellen on October 24, 2009 · 21 comments

Naan. Have you ever eaten it? Pre-Celiac, I always ate it in Indian restaurants though never thought to replicate it at home until gluten free became the norm for me. Now, whenever I make Indian food, I also make naan. Gluten free naan.

Think pita bread. This naan recipe is a close cousin to it. I couldn’t get it to puff and make pockets like traditional naan or pita bread. But it is soft on the inside and crisp on the outside. And is wonderful with Indian food.

I discovered the recipe when it was posted on a listserve to which I subscribe. When I first made it, I subbed a flaxseed meal/water combo for the one egg listed in the recipe. That worked great. I’ve since added eggs back into my diet and so I follow the recipe except that I use sour cream instead of the soy yogurt or toffuti sour cream.

Gluten free dough can be persnickety as it is a little sticky. Thus, mixing and rolling this particular naan dough works best on a silicone mat. I was fortunate enough to find a very large silicone pastry mat at Marshall’s.

Gluten Free Naan Bread
    makes 6

150 ml warm water (5.072 oz which is a little more than 1/2 cup)
    2 tsp sugar
    2 tsp active dry yeast
    275 g white rice flour (I used 2 cups)
    60 g tapioca starch (1/2 cup) – NOTE: one time, I eliminated this and it still came out great!
    1/2 tsp salt
    1 tsp baking powder
    1 tsp xanthan gum
    2 tsp vegetable oil
    150 ml (5.072 oz which is a little more than 1/2 cup) plain soy yogurt, toffuti sour cream, or regular dairy sour cream
    1 egg, lightly beaten (or 1 tbsp flaxseed meal mixed with 3 tbsp warm water)
    olive oil (optional)
    extra rice flour for rolling and forming naan

Preheat the oven to the highest setting (mine is 500 degrees). Place a heavy baking tray or pizza stone in the oven to heat while you prepare the recipe.

In a measuring bowl or cup, mix water with 1 teaspoon of the sugar and the yeast. Cover with plastic wrap and allow to sit in a warm place while you prep the rest of the ingredients.

Sift the rice flour (and tapioca if using), salt, baking powder, and xanthan gum into a medium-sized bowl. Add the remaining 1 teaspoon of sugar, oil, yogurt (or sour cream), egg, and the water/yeast mixture. Blend until smooth. It will be very thick.

NOTE: When you begin working with this dough in the next step of the recipe instructions, if it is very sticky and uncooperative, wet your hands. Also, try sprinkling some white rice flour onto your hands and/or the dough before handling it.

Divide the dough into six equal portions. Sprinkle some white rice flour onto your rolling surface. If possible, roll your dough on a silicone mat as it is an excellent surface for keeping gluten free doughs from sticking. Even so, I still recommend sprinkling a little white rice flour onto your first piece of dough as well as on your rolling pin (alternatively, use your hands to press the dough into a round pita-shape). Roll the dough until it is about 1/4″ thick. Sprinkle more white rice flour as needed onto the dough and/or the rolling pin to keep it from sticking.

When you are ready to bake the naan, carefully place each piece of dough onto your baking pan or stone which you’ve removed from the oven. Avoid putting one pan or stone on a rack below another pan or stone. It is best to do one pan or stone at a time, as you’ll need to broil the naan in order for it to get browned.

The original recipe calls for baking the naan for 3 minutes, but I found it best to bake for 8 minutes, then turn them over with a tongs and bake for another 2 -3 minutes. They were pretty browned by this time, but I turned on my broiler and broiled them for another minute.

Brush them with the optional olive oil before serving.

Click here for printable recipe

Tonight, we ate our naan with leftover Kidney Bean & Vegetable Curry from last nights’ Sabbath dinner. This curry is a great, flexible recipe. The original recipe called for garam masala, a blend of Indian spices. I really wanted to punch up the taste of these spices, so I added some of the individual spices that make up the garam masala. Here’s a picture of the leftovers, followed by my adapted version of the recipe:

Kidney Bean and Veggie Curry

1 tbsp chopped jalapeno pepper or 1/4 tsp cayenne
    2 tsp garam masala
    1 tsp salt
    2 tsp curry powder
    1/4 tsp turmeric
    1 tsp cumin
    one pound of mixed veggies (I used a blend of carrots, corn, green beans, and baby new potatoes)
    1 cup plain, unsweetened soymilk
    one 14 oz can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
    1/4 cup water, optional

Heat oil in a large pot over medium-high heat. Saute onion, garlic, and ginger until they soften, about 5 minutes.

Add Earth Balance. Once it melts, add cumin seeds and cook for another 1 minute. Add
    diced tomatoes with juice, tomato paste, jalapeno (or cayenne), garam masala, salt, curry powder, turmeric, and cumin. Cook for a few minutes, stirring occasionally.

If using potatoes, make sure they’re cut fairly small (1″ dice). Add them first and cook until they’re almost done. Then add other veggies. Stir until blended.

Add soymilk. Allow the mixture to come to a boil. If the mixture doesn’t have enough liquid, add 1/4 cup water.

Add kidney beans and simmer for about 10 – 15 minutes.

Add cilantro at the end of the cooking time.

Serve with basmati rice and gluten free naan. Dipping encouraged!

Click here for printable recipe

Lauren October 24, 2009 at 10:29 pm

This looks fabulous! I think I've had naan once (pre-gf), and not since. I might have to change that =D.

zebe912 October 25, 2009 at 10:04 am

I'm so happy to see this. I've only been able to find one other GF naan recipe and both times it has been a miserable, gross disaster. I'm excited to try again with this recipe because I miss naan something fierce. I still make the "real" stuff for my husband and it just stinks to not have a substitute.

Jessica October 25, 2009 at 10:07 am

Mom, this looks so delicious! I definitely want to try this one.

I Am Gluten Free October 25, 2009 at 11:57 am

Lauren – let me know if you make it!

zebe912 – yup, you're gonna love this one. Keep me posted!

Jess – hi honey!!! You'll love the Kidney Bean Curry recipe – it's VERY versatile – you can change up the veggies every time you make it. Just make sure that any veggies that are hard (carrots, potatoes etc.) are added before the other veggies to give them a head start, as they take a bit longer to cook!

Tasty Eats At Home October 25, 2009 at 5:53 pm

Ummm, YUM! This sounds awesome. I love the crusty-ness of naan, I'll definitely have to try this. And I do love that most Indian curries are naturally gluten-free; and this recipe you have sounds lovely!

Micco October 25, 2009 at 7:31 pm

… wow. You are an all-star.

Diane-The WHOLE Gang October 26, 2009 at 10:48 am

Just forwarded this on to my college son. He loves to cook and Indian food. He's GF Vegetarian. Can't have soy but there's lots of subs for that. Thanks for this recipe!

Anonymous October 27, 2009 at 3:27 pm

whoa!! I am a BIG indian food fan and seriously miss the naan every time I have it- this is awesome and will try it sometime soon!!
    Thanks so much

Fayinagirl (means Free One) October 27, 2009 at 7:05 pm

We used to eat Naan all the time and I have never found a gluten-free substitute. I'd love to try your recipe. It looks fantastic.

Okay, I am nervous about using Xanath gum. I've heard it's hard to work with. Any tips? Words of encouragement? ;-)

I Am Gluten Free October 27, 2009 at 8:26 pm

Tasty Eats At Home – we're on the same page – I also love the crustyness of naan! The other cool thing about this naan recipe is that a day later, when it starts to get stale, it sort of turns into a cracker!

Micco – thank you!!!

Diane – man, if I can help a college student, that will be a home run in my book!

Anonymous – enjoy!

Fayinagirl – don't even have a second thought about xanthan gum – it's necessary in most gluten free baking to make up for the lack of gluten in the GF flours. You only need a very little bit of it. And if you're concerned, substitute guar gum OR use 1/2 xanthan and 1/2 guar. Give it a try! It's not difficult to work with at all.

Jenn/CinnamonQuill October 30, 2009 at 5:36 pm

'Tis the season for curry! And what is curry without naan?! Nice work!! It looks like you ended up with a fabulous meal!

focusthelens October 31, 2009 at 12:34 pm

You are my absolute hero. I have to say that I have been in mourning for naan for quite some time!

haha November 17, 2009 at 10:21 pm
    Earth Fare November 18, 2009 at 11:33 am

Wow, that sounds amazing! I love Indian food, especially Naan. Thanks so much for the great recipe.

Gluten FREE foods ROCK November 22, 2009 at 8:00 am

They look wonderful. I will have to make these with my children over winter vacation.

zebe912 January 17, 2010 at 4:22 pm

I finally got around to making this today. OMG!! I'm SO excited. This may be the yummiest gluten free baking recipe I've made yet. I wish it had a little more nutritional value, but I'm going to load it up with healthy stuff to offset all the white. I made it with flax and didn't have quite enough yogurt but I think that helped it be less goopy.

I baked it like my traditional naan recipe, all under the broiler. Since I needed oil to roll it out (water just wasn't working) it gave a nice browned crust on it when it hit the hot pan.

Optomum March 13, 2010 at 11:46 pm

Boy, this was like trying to roll out frosting (SOFT frosting) for me. What a mess. After I added quite a bit more rice four (can't imagine even LESS dry ingredients, without the tapioca starch) – I finally made some naan, but really not worth the frustration. :( Sorry

I Am Gluten Free April 13, 2010 at 7:44 pm

Jenn/Cinnamon Quill – yes fabulous indeed. In my world, anything with curry has the potential to be fabulous!

focusthelens – I totally understand, believe me. When I found this recipe, I was ecstatic.

Earth Fare – you're welcome!

GF Food Rocks – did you make them? Let me know!

zebe – i think you could easily sub in some more nutritious flours. Give it a try!

Optomum – I'm sorry you met with such disappointment. May I suggest trying again? You never know…..sometimes the weather can affect my baking, or the temperature in the kitchen. Do you think you followed the recipe exactly? Did you make any substitutions? Let me know – maybe we can figure out what went wrong.

K. September 7, 2010 at 10:33 am

Yay! I made the Naan last night and it was amazing! I measured by weight and ended up with a slightly stickier dough but just flattened it right onto the pizza stone and it worked out perfectly! So. Dang. Excited! Thanks for the recipe!

Kate October 28, 2010 at 8:19 pm

I know this is a year and some late, but I wanted to let you know that we tried this recipe not too long ago and LOVE it. We make it with sour cream. It freezes very well, and if you make them a little thicker it's actually an amazing substitute for pizza crust!! So thank you!

I Am Gluten Free October 28, 2010 at 9:13 pm

Kay and Kate – thank you for the comments! I'm so glad it worked out for you. I will DEFINITELY have to try the naan for my pizza crust!