• Easy Appetizer Gluten Free & Dairy Free Roasted Potato Slices with Smoky Aioli Dip- Gluten Free Progressive OSCAR Dinner Party

by Ellen on February 26, 2010 · 18 comments

The Academy Awards take place on March 7th. By now, I would’ve seen most of the movies, but alas, I’ve only seen Julie & Julia, which I loved. Meryl Streep, in my opinion, is a sure bet for Best Leading Actress in this movie. It was a sweet movie that I’ll bet had food bloggers fantasizing like crazy!

If it weren’t for my food blogger compadres, I might not have even thought of having an Oscars party, but they’ve all inspired me to pull out all the stops. Which will give me a chance to wear, once again, the only long, elegant dress I own. I’m going to town for this one! I’m even going to take out the shiny baubles. I wonder how my apron will look with this get-up.

Pulling this together very last minute. Haven’t figured out the rest of the menu. Hoping my invited guests will bring appetizers deserving of the Oscars. And I hope I won’t be the only one in ballroom attire (it’s actually the dress from my eldest daughter’s wedding – so glad to have a chance to wear it again!).

By the way, I’m sharing this recipe as part of the Gluten Free Progressive OSCAR Dinner Party. I can’t say for sure which potential Oscar winner inspired my contribution, but I do know that I’d be proud to serve these to any of the luminaries walking down the red carpet. One more thing…..a mandoline makes slicing the potatoes very easy. This is the one I have.

Roasted Potato Slices with Smoky Aioli Dip

oil or vegetable cooking spray for coating baking sheets
    2 lbs. russet potatoes
    3 tbsp olive oil
    kosher salt
    freshly ground black pepper
    pinch cayenne pepper, optional

Preheat your oven to 400 degrees. Lightly coat two baking sheets (with rims) with oil or cooking spray.

Scrub the potatoes and slice into 1/4″ slices.

Put the sliced potatoes into a large shallow bowl with the oil, salt, black pepper, and optional cayenne. Use your hands to turn the potatoes over and over, until they are thoroughly coated.

Arrange the potato slices on the prepared baking sheets, making sure the slices aren’t touching each other. Bake for 15 minutes. Rotate the pans back to front and shelf to shelf, to make sure potatoes roast evenly. Bake for another 10 minutes.

Remove the potatoes to parchment paper to dry. Add more salt if desired.

BTW, I’ve made these roasted potato slices numerous times. Like pancakes, I always have to discard a few of them. Because of hot spots in my oven, some of the slices burn and get too crisp.

Smoky Aioli Dip

1/3 cup mayonnaise (regular or vegan)
    1/3 cup yogurt (Greek or soy)
    1/2 tsp ground cumin
    1/2 tsp sweet paprika (smoky would be nice too)
    1/4 tsp onion powder
    1 small garlic clove, minced
    pinch of salt
    few grinds of black pepper

Combine all of the ingredients and mix with large spoon or whisk until blended.

Printable Recipe

Please make sure you check out the posts from my gluten free buddies hosting this month’s Gluten Free Progressive OSCAR Dinner Party. They include:

Monday February 22- Shirley from gluten free easily sharing Veronica’s Pumpkin Soup

Tuesday February 23- SEA from Book of Yum with appetizers inspired from the movie Avatar- Millet Eggplant Croquettes and Chips

Wednesday February 24- Karen from Cook4Seasons who made Kale Chips and Diane from The WH.O.L.E. Gang who made whipped cream using inspiration from Julie and Julia

Thursday February 25- Alison from Sure Foods Living who made a Simple Salmon Spread

Easy Gluten and Dairy Free Whipped Cream Recipe- Gluten Free Progressive OSCAR Dinner Party

gfe--gluten free easily February 26, 2010 at 8:52 pm

Ellen, wow, that looks fabulous! And, I'm sure you will, too, in your elegant gown. Be sure to think up some witty remarks for the red carpet repartee. ;-)

Shirley

motherrimmy February 27, 2010 at 12:55 am

I adore potatoes, and your aoli sounds delicious. I'm working on appetizer recipes and this is perfect. Thank you!

seamaiden February 27, 2010 at 2:38 am

Ooh, that looks tasty! and the aioli dip- yum!

-sea

GF Gidget February 27, 2010 at 3:10 pm

Wow! How do I get an invite to one of these parties!

Tasty Eats At Home February 27, 2010 at 3:23 pm

I think we should demand photos of this elegant gown-wearing. :)

These potatoes sound awesome! Comforting but equally "fancy". Yum.

I Am Gluten Free February 27, 2010 at 4:00 pm

gfe – "Oh dahling, reeeallly, you shouldn't have!" How's that for starters?

motherrimmy – let me know how it works for you.

seamaiden – yes, bigtime yum on the aioli dip – I'm dipping just about everything I can get my hands on the leftovers!

GF Gifget – Consider yourself invited!

Tasty Eats At Home – OK!

Valerie (m.) February 27, 2010 at 11:23 pm

That dip looks awesome!!!

I looked at the photo of the mandoline that you linked to, and I am curious what the little key-shaped things in the foreground of the second picture are. (I love my mandoline, but it's a bargain basement model and doesn't have those parts — whatever they are.)

I Am Gluten Free February 28, 2010 at 1:20 am

Valerie – I'm not sure what that key is that you're referring to, but as it turns out, I linked to the wrong one. I've now corrected it. I have a Progressive Mandoline and I love it. Use it all the time.

alison March 1, 2010 at 12:57 pm

This is an appetizer for me — I am such a potato girl!

cook4seasons March 1, 2010 at 5:36 pm

Ellen, SO fun to have you join the GF dinner party this month! Once again, we have created a nice 'menu plan' and for the Oscars, even better. I love my mandoline, and will try this tasty recipe with sweet potatoes and your dip. Thanks!

Kat March 6, 2010 at 7:39 am

Oooooo potatoes are big in our gluten free household…I'm so going to try these!

I Am Gluten Free March 6, 2010 at 2:35 pm

Alison – right there with you! Love potatoes – in all forms!

cook4seasons – thanks! I'm delighted to have been included and look forward to more!

Kat – let me know how you like them! Thanks for stopping by!

Laurel Clark December 19, 2012 at 10:21 pm

Just made these for dinner spur-of-the-moment. I had all the ingredients! I used kefir cheese for the sour cream, but all the rest was the same. It was a hit with the family! Thank you for this–will be a good choice for an appetizer Christmas Eve at our gathering.

Ellen January 7, 2013 at 11:06 am

Oh yes, Laurel. I love your idea of making the kefir cheese substitution. My motto in the kitchen is to “play” and allow it to be your “playground”. It’s fun to come up with alternatives, especially when they work!

pay for click April 19, 2013 at 1:43 pm

Good day!
    I just noticed your webpage: Easy Appetizer Gluten Free & Dairy
    Free Roasted Potato Slices with Smoky Aioli Dip- Gluten Free Progressive OSCAR Dinner Party when I was surfing around reddit.
    com. It looks as though someone loved your site so much they decided to bookmark it – good job!

Ellen April 22, 2013 at 10:14 pm

Much thanks!! And thanks for visiting!