• Gluten Free French Bread Baguettes

by Ellen on April 7, 2010 · 19 comments

French Bread. Gluten Free French Bread. Hold it. I don’t even need to call it Gluten Free French Bread. This recipe is so much like the French Bread that I remember pre-gluten free that it needs no other name other than French Bread. Say no more. I am one happy dudette.

A great, big, huge, tremendous thank you to Sea at Book Of Yum. I subscribe to her blog and when I saw her recipe for Sorghum Rosemary French Bread, it was love at first sight. First I made it her way – it was fabulous. Then I decided to play with it. I added a bunch of different flours to the sorghum and millet in the original recipe. And I added pectin, an ingredient I’ve been using in all of my breads of late. After making it a few times, I wrote the recipe directions in a way that reflected my interpretation of Sea’s recipe. But still, I have a huge debt of gratitude to Sea for bringing this bread into my life.

French Bread Baguettes
    adapted from Book of Yum recipe for Sorghum Rosemary French Bread

Yeast mixture:
    2 tbsp sugar (or alternative sweetener)
    1 1/2 cup warm water
    2 tbsp active dry yeast

Dry ingredients:
    3/4 cup sorghum flour
    3/4 cup brown rice flour
    1/2 cup millet flour
    1/2 cup potato starch (not potato flour!)
    1/2 cup arrowroot starch
    1 tbsp xanthan gum
    1 tbsp flaxmeal
    1 tsp pectin
    1 1/2 tsp salt
    2 tsp egg replacer powder

Wet ingredients:
    2 tbsp olive oil
    1 tbsp + 1 1/2 tsp egg replacer whisked with 6 tbsp warm water
    1 tsp apple cider vinegar

Topping ingredients:
    about 2 tbsp olive oil
    kosher salt
    crushed dried rosemary (or other herbs)

Preheat oven to 400º. Grease french bread pan and dust with cornmeal.

Pour sugar into warm water. Add yeast and cover with plastic wrap. Set aside. The mixture will form a head of foam indicating that the yeast is proofed (fresh and usable).

Combine dry ingredients in the bowl of a stand mixer (alternatively, use a free standing bowl and hand mixer). Mix on very low speed. Once the dry ingredients are blended together, add the proofed yeast mixture, keeping the mixer on low speed at first to avoid liquids splashing out of the bowl. Increase speed to medium high and add the olive oil, egg replacer mixture, and apple cider vinegar. Mix for 3 minutes.

Scoop the dough into prepared pan. If possible, use a greased ice cream scooper (I used a scoop that held approximately 1/4 cup). Each of my loaves consisted of 4 ice cream scooper scoops worth of dough, each scoop of dough hugging the one next to it. If you’re like me, the first time I made this recipe, I was sure that I’d made a huge mistake. I mean, the dough was soft. I couldn’t believe it could ultimately turn into French Bread. I’m very glad that I didn’t throw in the towel.

Using a pastry brush (silicone brushes are EXCELLENT to use for this task), brush each loaf with olive oil. The brushing will not only allow you to coat the surface of the loaves with olive oil, but will also allow you to sculpt the dough into more of a french bread looking shape, the scoops of dough melding into each other. Sprinkle each loaf with kosher salt and dried, crushed rosemary.

Cover with a towel and place in a warm place to rise for 30 minutes. This is what the three loaves looked like after they rose for 30 minutes:

Just before baking, spray the edge of a serrated knife and using a quick motion, make three diagnoal slits in the top of each loaf. Bake for 30 – 40 minutes (my loaves baked for 40 minutes). Periodically, spritz the inside of the oven with water. This will create steam that will help form a nice crust on the bread. Cover for last 10 minutes if crust is getting too well-done. When a thermometer stuck inside the bread reaches 205º, the loaves are done. As you can see, my thermometer rose to 209º.

Click here for printable recipe.

Here are two pictures of what the bread looked like when it was done.

I’ve had the bread for dinner a whole bunch of times in the last week. And I’ve toasted the leftovers for breakfast. It’s sensational. French Bread. Like I said, one happy dudette.

Meg April 7, 2010 at 11:19 pm

I am curious – did you get a lasting crisp crust with the pectin added? I've been baking with pectin lately as well, but have noticed that the things I add it to tend to end up with a soft crust once they cool.

Diane-The WHOLE Gang April 8, 2010 at 7:30 am

This looks amazing! I'll be right over.

I Am Gluten Free April 8, 2010 at 7:57 am

Great Diane – can't wait to chat. Coffee or tea? :)

Tasty Eats At Home April 8, 2010 at 10:57 am

Oh my, yum! I am totally going to try these!

I Am Grateful, To Be Gluten Free April 8, 2010 at 11:43 am

Your baking really inspires me!

I Am Gluten Free April 8, 2010 at 7:33 pm

Hi Meg – I have to pay closer attention in order to answer your question, which is a good one. I never considered that the pectin might have an adverse affect on the bread. I'll have to take stock. This morning, after the bread sat overnight, I toasted it and so it was definitely crisp.

Tasty Eats At Home – let me know how you fare!

I am Grateful, To Be Gluten Free – thank you so much – people like you are the reason why I blog!

The Not So Perfect Housewife April 9, 2010 at 10:20 am

Oh YUM! I love this. And I just got my own Baquette pan for my birthday :-)

peterbronski April 9, 2010 at 10:39 am

Your baguette looks great! Thought you might be interested in seeing another version of a baguette…a recipe I developed and posted on No Gluten, No Problem:

Cheers, Pete

gfe--gluten free easily April 9, 2010 at 4:56 pm

Ellen–I like your adjustments to Sea's terrific recipe. Your baguettes look beautiful! I'm thinking that I could sub something else for the sorghum since I can't eat that. I'll let you know when I give it a try. :-)

Shirley

Pittsburgh Perambulations April 10, 2010 at 8:07 pm

I just recently found out that I'm gluten intolerant and I'm soooo excited to have found your blog. My recipe book is going to build! Thank you. :-)

Carla Spacher April 13, 2010 at 12:36 am

Wow! This sounds delicious! I have been having so much trouble baking gluten-free bread in a bread machine that I am ready to just do it all by hand. I am going to order my missing ingredients and give this one a try. thanks so much!

I Am Gluten Free April 13, 2010 at 8:11 am

The Not So Perfect Housewife – those french bread pans are so cool, aren't they? Makes me feel like I'm baking in a French bakery in Paris!

Peter – thanks for the link. Your French Breads look fabulous. I love your flour combo and will definitely give it a try.

Shirley – I think you could easily sub something for the sorghum. Let me know how it goes.

Pittsburgh Perambulations – welcome! Please come back and visit and let me know if you have any questions. If there was ever a good time (?) to have to eat gluten free, this is it. There are so many options!

Carla – why are you having trouble baking GF bread in a bread machine? Maybe I can help. Though I would encourage you to try your hand at baking GF bread in the oven. It's fun and therapeutic, from the prep all the way until taking it out of the oven (and then waiting and waiting until it's cool enough to eat!).

Anonymous April 22, 2010 at 8:13 am

Ellen, Looks great! Is the pectin wet or dry? And, what egg replacer do you use? Recently actually looked at the ingredients on Bob's Red Mill, and it has wheat in it. Argh…..

Barb

I Am Gluten Free April 22, 2010 at 8:27 am

Anonymous – the pectin is dry. Comes in a box and is the kind you find in the canning section of the grocery store. I use Ener-G egg replacer with great success. Good luck!

Victoria October 3, 2010 at 6:34 pm

We made this last night to serve with Minestrone soup. YUM! We omitted the pectin and used eggs instead of egg replacer. Our gluten-eating friends LOVED it. Wouldn't have even guessed it was gluten free. This is definitely a keeper!

Nikki January 11, 2011 at 11:33 am

My New Year's resolution this year is to learn to make amazing gluten free breads, cookies, muffins, and the like. No more cheap cardboard imitation bread for me! I am saving this recipe and it's going to be the first on my list to make! Thank you for all of your inspiration!

Stephen in Rhode Island August 4, 2013 at 5:55 pm

Hi. I know this thread is a few years old, but this looks so good and I have a question. Can regular eggs be used instead of the egg replacer without affecting the baked loaves? If so, what would the substitute quantities be?

Ellen August 14, 2013 at 12:14 pm

Stephen – I wish I knew the answer but alas without going back into the kitchen and remaking it, I can’t tell you. If you experiment and have any luck, please let me know. Thanks!