• Take The Juicing Plunge: Juice Today

by Ellen on September 26, 2010 · 9 comments

Have you thought about juicing but haven’t taken the juicing plunge because you don’t know where to start or because you don’t have a juicer? Maybe my post will inspire you to add juicing to your daily routine. And if you do, you will impress yourself when you create fancy juice bar type juice concoctions at home (I sound like an infomercial, don’t I?). And then, of course, there are the nutritional advantages! This morning, this is what my juicing efforts included:
    half of a large bunch of parsley
    one fuji apple, seeded and cored
    one peeled red beet
    five carrots
    five stalks of celery
    five collard leaves
    knob of peeled ginger

Here’s what it looked like after I had juiced a few of the veggies. Can you guess which ones, based on the color? Pretty, isn’t ?:

And here’s what it looked like when I finished juicing the whole bunch of veggies. This was some sweet stuff – I slugged down two cups worth and wished I’d made more.

There are times when I want the fiber from the veggies. In that case, I use my Vitamix blender and throw everything in, hook, line, and sinker. But there are other times when I just want no-pulp juice, plain and simple. And then’s when my Jack LaLanne Power Juicer comes into play. Do you juice? If so, what veggies do you like to juice? If you haven’t begun juicing, tell us what’s holding you back? Let’s try and support each other in developing a healthy juice habit!

Gluten? No. Free? Yes! September 26, 2010 at 5:06 pm

That's a hard question! I love both.
    I really like carrot or beet w/ ginger, but my favorite juice is celery, parsley, lemon, and sea salt. It's a 'must have' electrolyte balancer here in the low desert.
    Smoothies, I use more as a meal and I love adding raw almond or cashews to them :)

Krista September 27, 2010 at 1:31 pm

I'm a big fan of juicing and green smoothies. I drink green smoothies as a meal replacement and snacks. For juicing, I like carrot, beet and ginger or kale with cucumber or celery, one lemon and an apple. Also collard green, apple and kiwi is good. The kiwi gives a fuzzy mouth feel. My son love apple and lemon juiced together.

Tasty Eats At Home October 2, 2010 at 5:05 pm

I don't juice (no juicer) but I am honestly drooling at the choice of veggies you have here! I do love a good smoothie though…might have to make one!

LimeGreenLove May 3, 2011 at 5:31 pm

Wow this looks amazing! I have a Jack La Lanne juicer and it is fabulous! I love juicing and would recommend it to anyone. The only trouble I have been having is when trying to juice any leafy greens, ( parsley, kale, spinach,) barely a drop of juice comes out. Does anyone know why this is?

Gluten Free Diva May 10, 2011 at 11:09 am

Yeah – my Jack La Lanne juicer won't juice the leafy greens either. I tend to use my Vitamix for green smoothies – it really does a fantastic job of "chewing" up the greens and the fruit does a great job of disguising their taste:).

Sue November 11, 2012 at 9:54 am

Yes, I juice daily. And on the weekend I have a smoothie on the sweet side for a treat. I juice Breakfast & lunch. I use a Champion juicer and have no problems with the leafy greens. It also works great to do a frozen banana ice cream that is yummy. My favorite mix for juicing is apple, carrot, celery spinach and a knuckle of ginger.

Ellen January 7, 2013 at 11:13 am

HI Sue – I love your favorite juice combo as well. The sweetness of the apple and carrot mixed with the more neutral celery and the rather blandness of the spinach and the spicy kick of the ginger is a perfect blend!

Levi September 27, 2013 at 1:37 am

An impressive share! I’ve just forwarded this onto a coworker who has been doing a little homework on this.
    And he in fact bought me dinner because I stumbled upon it for him…
    lol. So let me reword this…. Thank YOU for the meal!!
    But yeah, thanx for spending some time to talk about this subject here on your web site.

Ellen January 25, 2014 at 1:21 pm