• The Most Amazing Biscuits

Post image for The Most Amazing Biscuits

by Ellen on October 26, 2010 · 51 comments

Gluten free, egg free, and dairy free biscuits for breakfast, lunch, dinner, and snacks – my idea of a well-balanced diet. Ok, well, not exactly. But these biscuits are definitely hard to resist. We polished this batch off in less than 24 hours. Just the two of us. If I made these on any kind of a regular basis (daily would be lovely), my jeans would be long gone and instead I’d be wearing yoga pants 24/7.

This recipe yields 8 gluten free biscuits. Of course, it will depend on the size of your ice cream scoop (which will also impact the length of time you bake the biscuits). Just for measurement purposes – so that you’d know the size of the ice cream scoop I used – the amount of water that my ice cream scoop holds is the same amount of water that a 1/4 cup measuring cup (the kind you use for measuring solids not liquids) holds. Very scientific:).

You might notice that the amount of the flours and starches are listed both in cup and ounce measurements. I’m following in Gluten Free Girl’s (Shauna Ahern) footsteps and beginning to lean towards weighing the flours and starches I bake with. It’s kind of like being in Chemistry 101! And it’s amazing to discover how much more or less a cup of one flour or starch weighs than another.

Gluten Free Biscuits (gluten free, egg free, dairy free)
    click here for printable recipe

1 c. almond flour (.3 3/8 oz)
    1/2 c. brown rice flour (.3 oz)
    1/4 c. potato starch (.1 1/2 oz)
    1/4 c. tapioca starch (.1 1/8 oz)
    1 tsp xanthan gum
    2 tsp baking powder
    1 tsp baking soda
    1 1/2 tsp sugar
    1 tsp sea salt
    2/3 c. soy milk + 1 tbsp lemon juice
    1/4 c. unsweetened applesauce (measured in a solid measuring cup)
    1/4 c. canola oil

1. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Preheat the oven to 450 degrees.

2. Whisk all of the dry ingredients from almond flour through sea salt in a medium-sized bowl.

3. Add lemon juice to milk. Keep chilled until ready to use.

4. Whisk applesauce into the oil.

5. Add the applesauce/oil mixture to the dry mixture. Stir well. Then add the milk/lemon juice mixture and mix.

6. Using an ice cream scoop, place the biscuit dough on the prepared pan.

7. Bake for 12 minutes.

PLEASE NOTE: I am adding this note after making these biscuits a second time and correcting the weights listed in the ingredient list. I had left out a few decimal points which would definitely make a difference in the weight of the flours/starches. Thanks to Ricki of Diet, Desserts, and Dogs for pointing that out to me! When I made these biscuits for the second time, I once again weighed the flours and starches AND measured them in solid measuring cups, just like I did the first time. What I found was that the slightest difference in the ingredients measured onto the scale didn’t look very different in the cup. If I sprinkled just a little more tapioca starch, for example, onto the scale, to bring it to .1 1/8 oz, the weight measurement changed immediately on the digital readout – it was very sensitive to even the slightest change in the tapioca starch added. But when I poured the tapioca starch into the measuring cup, it seemed to be fit into the cup, no matter the lesser or slightly greater amount of tapioca starch. No matter how carefully I level the tapioca starch with a knife, I bet the amount of tapioca starch in the measuring cup could be off by just a slight amount if I were to reweigh it on the digital scale!! My hypothesis is that when you measure ingredients WITHOUT a scale, and only use solid cup measurements, it’s seems that the final baked result could be different from one batch to the next. This just goes to prove that weighing ingredients is so much more precise and I believe could make a big difference in the final result of your baked products. I haven’t had a lot of experience with weighing ingredients, but I am more and more inclined to do so now.

This recipe is included in the Gluten-Free Wednesday 10/27/10 carnival hosted by The Gluten-Free Homemaker, in Simply Sugar & Gluten-Free’s Slightly Indulgent Tuesdays, and in a little bit of Spain in Iowa’s Whole Foods for the Holidays, Gluten-Free Wednesday 1/19/11 biscuit carnival.

Kim-Cook it Allergy Free October 26, 2010 at 11:08 pm

Ellen, these look fabulous! I was just going through my biscuit recipes because I decided I am going to change up my normal stuffing/dressing recipe to have a mix of cornbread and buttermilk biscuits. These look like they would be perfect, as long as I made an extra batch to eat as well for us to eat w/the stuffing! LOL
    Yum! Just bookmarked this one!

Iris October 26, 2010 at 11:38 pm

These look delicious! I definitely have to make them!

Valerie (m.) October 26, 2010 at 11:44 pm

Those look fabulously yummy!!!

Ricki October 27, 2010 at 9:07 am

OMG, these look fantastic! And I am SO with you on the "good-for-all-eating-purposes" value of biscuits! I love them any which way I can get them. And yours look SO GOOD!

I've been using weight for flours and other dry ingredients since I had a baking business years ago, and it really is much more accurate. And I'd say that grams are actually more accurate than ounces, too. . . but then again, we are metric over here ;)

Sophie October 27, 2010 at 10:31 am

Waw, Ellen!! Gf, dairy free & egg free too! Great!

These gf biscuits look the best , aka the max!! I must make them tomorrow!!

MMMMMMMM,..lovely food!

gfe--gluten free easily October 28, 2010 at 6:09 am

Oh, Ellen, these look totally scrumptious! Beautiful and tasty job on these babies. I love biscuits, but rarely make them because of that yoga pants thing. ;-) Great for an indulgent treat though, and I love that almond flour is the primary flour in these. :-)

Shirley

Linda October 28, 2010 at 9:14 am

Those biscuits look wonderful! I haven't used almond flour much, and I would not have expected it to rise so nicely. Great job.

Ricki October 28, 2010 at 10:20 am

Made these this morning and they are scrumptious! Just a question, though: when I weighed my 1/2 cup brown rice flour, it was a lot heavier than .3 ounces (more like 2.3 ounces). I went with the 1/2 cup anyway and it seemed to work out. Going to enjoy one with some homemade plum spread now. MMMMM! Thanks for the recipe.

I Am Gluten Free October 28, 2010 at 12:20 pm

Kim – hmmm, I wonder how it would be if we mixed this recipe with a cornbread recipe – and use it for stuffing??? Just a thought!

Iris – Let me know how they come out!

Valerie – thanks!

Ricki – biscuits – can't beat 'em!!! So versatile, yes?!!

Sophie – waw!!! Thanks!!!

Shirley – thank you my friend! And yes, I'm a convert to almond flour!

Linda – I was stunned myself at how much they rose.

Ricki – as soon as I saw your comment, I rushed into the kitchen and made these biscuits again. I am so glad you caught my mistake. I corrected the error in the ingredient list. A decimal point makes such a difference!! Thank you!

glugleglutenfree October 28, 2010 at 12:29 pm

These look so good. (I know everyone else wrote that, but it's true.)

I think I may steal Kim's idea and use them for stuffing and on their own for the upcoming holiday. Need to save them for special occasions because I already live in my yoga pants. :P

xoxo,
    Tia

Tasty Eats At Home October 29, 2010 at 8:42 pm

These look spectacular!

I Am Gluten Free October 29, 2010 at 8:44 pm

Tia – I think I'll have to steal Kim's idea also and use my own recipe for T-giving stuffing!

Alta – thanks!!!! Can't wait to meet you!

Alisa Cooks November 1, 2010 at 8:26 pm

Those look amazing Ellen! And I may even have all of those ingredients on hand. Is that a new photo of you? I love it!

Samantha November 2, 2010 at 6:32 am

These look amazing! I can't wait to try them…we've been really missing biscuits around here.

Elana November 3, 2010 at 12:29 am

Ellen,

I'm trying to contact you on twitter (just to say hello) and cannot find your twitter page/handle. Ellensrecipes doesn't seem to be working :-)

Talk soon,
    Elana

Janice November 3, 2010 at 1:01 am

would it be possible to do the weights in grams? the decimal points and the ounces confuse me like crazy

I Am Gluten Free November 3, 2010 at 1:48 pm

Alisa Cooks – yes it's a new photo. Thanks!

Samantha – thanks!

Elana – no wonder you had trouble contacting me on twitter. I forgot to change my twitter name in the widget in my sidebar. Thank you for the notification. It's now fixed!

Janice – I'm sure it's possible, I've just never done it that way. If you do, please let me know.

Aubree Cherie November 4, 2010 at 5:09 am

Hey Ellen,

This recipe looks excellent! I haven't made biscuits in a while, but I remember mine didn't look anywhere near as good as yours do! Just wanted to let you know that I posted it in My Favorite Recipes from Last week post! Thanks :)

~Aubree Cherie

I Am Gluten Free November 5, 2010 at 8:04 am

Aubree – gee thanks! I greatly appreciate it! Glad you stopped by to say hello!

Karen November 6, 2010 at 1:43 pm

These look really good, your blog looks like a great resource, I look forward to spending some time here learning more.
    Thank you!

EatHealthyLiveWell November 9, 2010 at 2:16 pm

Yum – these sound so good right now!

Lexie @ Lexie' November 14, 2010 at 11:18 pm

Comfort food! These look great! A must try.

I Am Gluten Free November 15, 2010 at 12:17 pm

Karen – so glad you stopped by. Look forward to hearing from you again!

EatHealthyLiveWell – they look good and are delicious, I can attest to that!

Lexie – comfort food big time!!!

Anna January 6, 2011 at 4:12 pm

These biscuits look delicious! I have read how more and more people are weighing their flours in baking, and how it really makes a difference — perhaps I'll have to invest in a kitchen scale!

Heather January 7, 2011 at 8:52 pm

And we all know how I feel about THESE gluten-free biscuits. Ah-maaaa-zzzzing!

kellyc4 January 15, 2011 at 10:22 pm

wow! nice texture! off to check your other biscuit recipe. =0)

Bean January 19, 2011 at 12:13 pm

These look amazing! I'm a huge fan of biscuits. Usually I use the recipe that I grew up with (converted to gluten free, of course!) but I'm always willing to try something new. :)

lmwhitaker January 26, 2011 at 6:57 am

Oh HEY, almond flour. I really must try these. I love that the developed that dome on top to look like a dinner roll too.

Karla Argueta February 3, 2011 at 12:25 pm

I can't find almond flour in my country, is ther another flour that I can substitute???
    Thanks for your help.

Holly S November 19, 2011 at 6:14 pm

Just made the biscuits. The ingredients are expensive, especially the almond flour. Wanted to make a trial batch before Thanksgiving as my 3 grand-daughters have allergies. These are delicious!!! They are much lighter than any other bread or rolls we've tried. This is a winner and worth the cost!!

Gluten Free Diva January 20, 2012 at 9:19 pm

Don't ya' just love almond flour? It's one of my faves in my Gluten Free toolbox.

Carolina January 26, 2013 at 8:43 am

This is a keeper recipe! I made these this morning…..easy and quick plus great tasting. That the combination I love.

Ellen January 28, 2013 at 7:14 pm

I know, huh. Can you believe something so simple could be so tasty!?!? Thanks for letting me know. So glad you liked the recipe!

Kristen Cannon March 4, 2013 at 7:59 pm

I just made these and subbed arrowroot for the tapioca. They are so yummy! Thanks for the recipe!

pattianne pascual April 27, 2013 at 8:25 pm
    Ben Compton May 31, 2013 at 10:56 pm

Can soy milk be subbed out with almond milk, hemp milk, or coconut milk? The wife and I are on the virgin diet and have eliminated the top 8. Soy is one of the worst GMO’s and I miss my regular gluten free biscuits made with butter… This is the only recipe I have seen that looks hopeful so far.

Ellen August 30, 2013 at 9:18 am

My experience is that yes, you can use other alternative milks in place of soy milk.

Weight Watchers Lose Weight July 6, 2013 at 12:42 am

certainly like your website but you have to check the
    spelling on several of your posts. Several of them are rife with spelling problems and I to find it
    very troublesome to tell the reality on the other hand
    I’ll definitely come again again.

Ellen August 2, 2013 at 5:33 pm

Thanks! I’m in the process of reviewing all of the recipes. I changed from blogger to wordpress and certain formatting was lost or changed in the process. I appreciate your letting me know.

Michelle August 18, 2013 at 12:33 pm

I can’t wait to try these! I have been told for several years to avoid canola oil because it is petroleum based and our bodies can’t break it down. I am wondering if it’s okay to substitute with olive oil?

Ellen August 30, 2013 at 9:12 am

I, too, have read the same thing about canola oil, recently. So, now, I try to avoid it. I have not tried making these with olive oil. My first thought is that the olive oil would be too strong of a taste. I’ve not used a light olive oil, but maybe that would work. Please let me know if you try it. Thank you!

Jess November 28, 2013 at 9:10 pm

I haven’t read any trusted source say anything about canola oil being made with petroleum. Links?

Ellen January 25, 2014 at 12:42 pm

While there are differing opinions on this topic, I still prefer to err on the side of not using it. Here is one resource/blog whose writing I admire and trust: http://wellnessmama.com/2193/why-you-should-never-eat-vegetable-oil-or-margarine/

Erin November 11, 2013 at 7:17 pm

Thank you for the recipe! These turned out really well, despite me not weighing ingredients. I have been too intimidated to try gluten free baking before, but now I’m excited!

Kara November 25, 2013 at 6:28 pm

Hi! If one does not eat sugar, is it possible to replace the sugar in this recipe with honey/agave/molasses??

Thanks!

Ellen January 25, 2014 at 12:45 pm

I don’t know the proportions when you convert from sugar to a liquid sweetener. Before you do that, may I suggest that you try subbing coconut sugar? I use it all the time now and love it!

Jess November 28, 2013 at 9:06 pm

I just made these, except I used white rice flour instead of the almond flour and the brown rice flour, and I used just tapioca starch instead of potato starch, and Spectrum Canola Oil Spread (it’s kinda like Earth Balance) instead of canola oil. Worked perfectly! Wonderful! Thanks.

Ellen January 25, 2014 at 12:44 pm

I’m so glad you found success with these. I’ve not made them in awhile. Since making them, I’ve begun using coconut oil and olive oil as my primary oils for baking and cooking. I’ll have to revisit the recipe and try them with coconut oil. Thanks for the reminder!!!!

Ade February 12, 2014 at 5:15 pm

These are just awesome!!! Loved them, loved them!
    Never tasted anything like this. Can’t wait to try other recipes.
    Thank you so much for sharing!