• Gluten Free Adopt-A-Blogger: Kim from cook IT allergy free

Post image for Gluten Free Adopt-A-Blogger: Kim from cook IT allergy free

by Ellen on December 11, 2010 · 11 comments

I’ve been a fan of Book of Yum’s blog since I first discovered it a few years ago. Sea is a prolific writer and when it comes to trying new recipes, she is an adventurer to beat the band. Her support of other bloggers became clearly evident when she began an Adopt A Gluten-Free Blogger monthly event. The November event page can be found here.

This is my second time participating in the event and I’ve adopted Kim of cook IT allergy free. I’m not sure what I like more – her recipes or her lovely, friendly way of writing. When she writes, Kim makes you feel like you are her best friend and that is a good feeling indeed! I had the pleasure of meeting Kim at the blogher ’10 conference in San Francisco a few months ago. She is one of the nicest and most genuine people I’ve ever met! And check out her iPhone and iPad app – an amazing way to save and customize recipes to accommodate most Food Allergy needs.

You might think it odd that I would choose one of Kim’s smoothie recipes, given the other delectable recipes she has blogged about (especially her recent post featuring her Cinnamon Icebox Shortbread Cookies – gluten free AND egg free – these are right up my alley.) But I just have to balance all of the sweets I’ve been eating (and will probably continue to eat through the end of this month) with some healthy eats.

Check out Kim’s Berry Green Smoothie. And hold on there just a minute. You’re probably thinking that a smoothie with green stuff in it couldn’t possibly taste good. Think again. This is a major homerun. I made my smoothie with collard greens and they were not the least bit evident, I swear. But man oh man, think of all the good it’ll do your body to include them in your pretty pink smoothie.

This recipe is very flexible. For example, I didn’t have any organic cherries so I subbed cranberries. I used goat’s milk kefir and it added a delightful tartness to the smoothie. I used regular honey, not raw honey. I also like my smoothies on the thinner side so I added a cup of liquid (water was my choice), a tip which Kim recommends in the recipe in order to achieve your desired consistency.

Go forth. And while you do, have a smoothie or two. It’ll help balance out all the sweets you too might be eating this month!

Cook It Allergy Free December 11, 2010 at 11:40 pm

Ah, Ellen! You make me blush! This is such a sweet adoption post. And the funny thing is that I had not made smoothies in a quite a while just because it had been so cold, and then just last week, I got back on my kick! Thank you so so much for all of your kind words! I so so appreciate this wonderful adoption! You, too, are such a genuine and loving person and I am so very grateful for your friendship! xo

Gluten Free Diva December 12, 2010 at 2:14 pm

You're welcome! I meant every word. And THANK YOU for getting me back on the smoothies kick. I'd gotten out of the habit until I made your delicious smoothie. I love the kefir in it!

Shirley @ gfe December 12, 2010 at 9:26 am

Hi Ellen–Great job on your adoption of Kim! She definitely makes you feel like you're her best friend and her warmth is genuine. :-) And, yes, she has tons of delectable recipes on her blog. I think you made a terrific choice with this green smoothie. It looks delicious! Next time, you should use raw honey though. :-) This advice comes from one of a family who keeps bees. Raw honey is so much tastier and has so many more health benefits.

Happy Sunday!
    Shirley

Gluten Free Diva December 12, 2010 at 11:53 am

Thanks for stopping by Shirley! I've been experimenting quite a lot with green smoothies for a few years, and I have to say this simple recipe is now my fave! I would love to use raw honey. What are the benefits? And where can you buy raw honey?

Shirley @ gfe December 12, 2010 at 1:37 pm

Hey Ellen–Here's some info from Whole Foods' site on the benefits of raw honey. Heating or cooking honey takes away almost all of its good bennies. Read WF article for more info. Although we are told that honey is pasteurized to protect us, heating the honey moves it faster and makes it far easier to process quickly. That is the driving factor. Raw honey is what is being sold at your farmer's markets and at Whole Foods (when identified as such, I hear most stores have a huge selection). Most small-time beekeepers spin their honey out of the comb so there's no need to heat it for processing. (Here's a post I did showing the whole process.) If you taste pasteurized honey and then raw honey, you'll be totally amazed at the difference! So great taste and health benefits … win-win. :-)

Shirley

Gluten Free Diva December 12, 2010 at 5:06 pm

Wow Shirley – that's amazing. Way more than I knew, but happy to learn about it. Thank you!!!

TheWHOLEGangLLC December 12, 2010 at 9:03 pm

Ellen, I love the site, the recipe and you and Kim!

Gluten Free Diva December 13, 2010 at 6:17 pm

Thanks Diane!!! And thank you for recommending Mary. She's da' bomb!

Glugle Gluten-Free December 18, 2010 at 8:30 pm

What a lovely post! I have been getting into green smoothies lately, myself. I think it's to try to counteract all of the holiday sugar. I will have to look at Kim's recipes.

xoxo,
    Tia :P

Emily January 6, 2011 at 10:44 am

Kim is my cousin and she has helped me through a pretty interetimg two years of struggling to heal my body and put it back into balance. Her passion for helping people and for delicious food come together to create food safe for everyone, while her can’t-help-but-love-her attitude makes you feel like you can go out for coffee and talk like old friends even if you’ve never met. I love my cousin and thanks for adopting her!!

She’s also the reason ive started following your blog so I have her to thank for that!

Nikki January 11, 2011 at 11:02 am

We have just started our own smoothie kick at our house. This was a great reminder to put greens in our smoothies to pack a great nutrient rich punch! I think I will head into my kitchen to play with my concoction right now!!