• Chai Chocolate Nog Latte

Post image for Chai Chocolate Nog Latte

by Ellen on December 13, 2010 · 12 comments

I love the idea of a hot, steamy beverage on a cold, blustery winter day. Add chocolate and a bit of frothiness, sprinkle some cinnamon on top and I’m immediately sitting in a ski lodge at the foot of the Alps, warming my tootsies by the fire.

So what exactly is a Chai Chocolate Nog Latte?

Chai means there’s bound to be spices like cinnamon, ginger, and cardamom. Check.

Chocolate in my world means yippy skippy, as my good friend Ellen (same name as me!) says. Ricki, author of the wonderful Diet, Dessert and Dogs blog, is the originator of this drink and she used carob, not chocolate. She calls it Rich and Creamy Chai Carob Latte. Since there wasn’t any carob to be found in my pantry, I used Trader Joe’s dairy free gluten free chocolate chips. I should buy stock in the little buggers. Check.

Nog has such a holiday ring to it, yes? Ricki’s original recipe calls for unsweetened rice, almond, or soy milk. I used Silk Pumpkin nog, but I’m sure any of those other milks will do just as well, since Ricki rocks. Please note that you might need to adjust the sweetener depending on the chocolate and the milk you use. Actually, Ricki’s recipe calls for stevia but I used 1 tsp of agave. Check.

Latte. Could there be a fancier name for a hot beverage? It definitely conjures up long, slow mornings sitting in a cute coffee shop on a corner in one of the many small villages that dot the countryside in Tuscany, Italy. I achieved the frothiness by blending it in my Vitamix for an extra minute more than I would’ve otherwise. Plus it heated it as well as well as adding a bunch of little bubbles. You can also heat it in a saucepan on the stove.

The only thing I would add to my Chai Chocolate Not Latte, if I had them in my pantry, would be mini marshmallows. Then it would be over the top perfect.

Oh, yes, and I dusted the top with cinnamon. Like they do at fancy coffee shops.

If you want the original recipe, go here. And visit with Ricki for awhile. She knows her stuff.

Ricki December 13, 2010 at 4:10 pm

Aw, thanks so much! Just look at the froth on your mug–yum! I would, in an ideal world, much prefer the chocolate, but right now chocolate + sugar is not agreeing with me. (and if I use too much unsweetened, it triggers cravings for the aforementioned c + s). ;) Marshies would totally make this, too!

Gluten Free Diva December 13, 2010 at 6:15 pm

Gosh, Ricki, you're welcome! I LOVE LOVE LOVE this fancy latte. It is absolutely delicious and I can't wait to make it again tomorrow. And the next day. And the next day:).

Missy December 13, 2010 at 8:47 pm

That link to the recipe is broken. Could you look into it?? I'd love to make this tonight!

Gluten Free Diva December 13, 2010 at 8:58 pm

Thanks Missy. I fixed it! Enjoy!

Alisa Fleming December 14, 2010 at 6:09 pm

Too funny, I was just at Ricki's blog drooling over that carob drink and then popped over here to find your version! Yes, I wish marshmallows were somehow healthier as they are just so darn good!

Sophie December 15, 2010 at 4:43 am

Congrats on your new Diva blog, my friend! It rocks!!

I love this hot drink but I also loved your caramelized pear, pecan & pomegranata salad,…;mmmmm,..I made it yesterday & it was ooh so tasty!

Kisses from Brussels to you!

Cook It Allergy Free December 15, 2010 at 12:44 pm

Ellen, this looks fabulous. Check. Check. Check. on all of those ingredients. This will be a fun hot drink tonight as the kids and I watch a couple of the holiday specials that I had recorded while i was at the hospital. We are catching up on some snuggle time in front of the fire tonight now that we can all relax a bit. This would be the perfect thing to go along with this!!! I loved this post, by the way. And now I am headed over to Ricki's!!! ;)
    xo
    kim

Heather December 18, 2010 at 8:41 am

Love your new site! Looks like you're unpacked at feeling right at home! Now this is a perfect Saturday morning to try this new tasty drink.

jaden December 31, 2010 at 7:39 pm

Oh wow – so decadent! Happy New Year!

Nikki January 11, 2011 at 10:59 am

Thank you for reposting this here! I had to head over to get this recipe right away. It is snowing up a storm here in Indiana and we could use a delicious warm drink to help keep us cozy!

Christina January 16, 2011 at 6:51 pm

I really like your substitutions for Ricki's great recipe. You really do make GF seem so easy!

melody February 3, 2011 at 2:04 pm

i love this recipe and this whole blog! i have several health challenges with food allergies and food intolerances. i have been creating my own home made recipes, now i have some help from this wonderful blog!
    many thanks and God's blessings, Ellen!