• The Easiest And Best Ever Corn Pudding

Post image for The Easiest And Best Ever Corn Pudding

by Ellen on March 10, 2011 · 15 comments

She took gluten free recipes and she wedded them, oh so brilliantly, to the crockpot, otherwise known as the slow cooker. Her name is Stephanie O’Dea and I’m proud to adopt her for this months’ Adopt A Gluten Free Blogger event.

Stephanie is the author of the wildly famous A Year of Slow Cooking blog as well as Make It Fast, Cook It Slow (her first gluten free cookbook) and More Make It Fast, Cook It Slow (her second gluten free cookbook) . I’ve made a whole slew of her recipes and every single one of ‘em has been a hands down home run. Tonight was no exception.

I had four people coming for dinner tonight. My menu was planned but the Jewish mother instinct in me just felt like it wasn’t enough, so I pulled Stephanie’s first cookbook off the shelf and found her recipe for Jalapeno Corn Pudding. It was perfect. It met all my criteria:

I had to have the ingredients on hand AND it had to be made in the crockpot AND it had to be done before our guests arrived. Bingo!

And you know it’s a winner when two of your four guests insist ever so politely that they must have a copy of the recipe before they leave your house. Stephanie, my friend, this recipe is a keeper! I think it will be on every holiday menu I create from this day forward. Thank you for giving us easy and delicious and healthy gluten free recipes.

Jalapeno Corn Pudding
    adapted by the Gluten Free Diva (that would be me)

click here for printable recipe

cooking spray
    2 tbsp Earth Balance, melted
    1 c. soymilk (or other alternative milk)
    2 large eggs
    1/2 tsp kosher salt
    2 tbsp sugar
    2 tbsp gluten free flour (I used Simply…Gluten-Free’s AP Gluten free flour)
    1 tsp baking powder
    1 c. frozen regular corn
    1 c. frozen roasted corn (I used Trader Joes)
    1/2 c. shredded Daiya cheddar cheese (dairy free)
    2 tbsp diced jalapeno peppers

Use a 4 quart slow cooker. Spray the inside of your stoneware with cooking spray or rub with vegetable oil. Add the melted Earth Balance, milk, eggs, salt, sugar, flour, and baking powder. Whisk ingredients together. Stir in corn kernels, cheese, and diced jalapenos. Cover and cook for 3 – 5 hours. The corn pudding is done when the edges brown and begin to pull from the sides, and the enter is set. Remove the lid for 20 – 30 minutes when the pudding is set, and continue to cook on low to get rid of any condensation.

Tracy and Katie March 10, 2011 at 1:55 am

This sounds amazing!! I want to buy a slow cooker just so I can try out this recipe.

-Katie =)

Shirley @ gfe March 10, 2011 at 6:48 am

Yum! Okay, I admit that when I saw best ever corn pudding I thought of my own. LOL But Stephanie's recipe and your adaptation of it are different enough from mine that they could happily co-exist. ;-) Steph is the best. Love her recipes! Great adoption, Ellen! :-)

Shirley

Gluten Free Diva March 10, 2011 at 10:18 am

Thank you Shirley!!! I haven't ever tried making a corn pudding, but now that I'm a new convert, I will try your recipe as well!

Kim-Cook IT AF March 10, 2011 at 11:06 am

What a great adoption of little Miss Stephanie! ;0) I LOVE HER! And this corn pudding is just amazing! Shirley cracks me up! So glad that this pudding can co-exist in the Best Ever category with hers though, LOL!!! Thanks for sharing this! I will be making it soon since it would be a hit hit hit here. What else did you serve it with?

Gluten Free Diva March 10, 2011 at 2:30 pm

Yummm, I just had some leftovers for lunch. It was even good cold! So, to answer your question, here is my menu from last night…I gave myself the gift of cooking all afternoon!
    Vegetarian Chopped Liver
    Red Bean Burgers
    Salmon Burgers
    Baked Potato Spears with Chipotle Ketchup
    Corn Pudding
    Salad with Balsamic Mustard Dressing
    Homemade Flatbread (cut into squares and used to make sandwiches with)
    Chocolate Chip Biscotti

It was a labor of love, for sure!

Stephanie March 10, 2011 at 4:16 pm

This looks absolutely wonderful! What type of flour did you use?

Gluten Free Diva March 28, 2011 at 1:12 am

I used Carol's Gluten Free flour blend. Her blog (where you can find the flour) is at Simply Gluten Free. It's a great all purpose mix.

Meg March 11, 2011 at 5:12 pm

So…. this looks great. I see you added a lot of vegan alternatives except for the eggs! Do you have any suggestions to replace the eggs if we vegans don't eat them. I really want to make this! :)

Gluten Free Diva March 28, 2011 at 1:11 am

I bet you could replace the eggs with silken tofu – maybe 1/4 cup – 1/2 cup. I'm going to give that a try the next time I make it.

sea March 12, 2011 at 2:35 am

Vegetarian chopped liver? Do tell! What a feast. You know, I really need to get a slow cooker again. I had one and and got rid of it in a moving frenzy…. but then there is Stephanie's book and I really should try some of her recipes! Was the original dairy-free?

-Sea

Gluten Free Diva March 28, 2011 at 1:10 am

Brenda – the veg chopped liver is DELICIOUS! Go to this page and scroll down to Mock Chopped Liver: http://www.glutenfreediva.com/2008/04/passover-08…. Let me know if you make it – it's really yummy and tastes surprisingly like the old Chopped Liver of my past (the kind made with chicken livers).

Imegahan December 11, 2011 at 10:39 pm

If you don't own a crockpot or slow cooker, Stephanie has conversion cooking tips so that any dish on her page, can be prepared in a conventional oven! Also about.com has conversion cooking techniques at http://homecooking.about.com/library/weekly/blcro…. Or simply google the terms "crockpot to oven conversion", and pick a hit.

Gluten Free Diva December 11, 2011 at 10:52 pm