• Italian Turkey Meatloaf with Asiago Cheese

Post image for Italian Turkey Meatloaf with Asiago Cheese

by Ellen on June 19, 2011 · 28 comments

Hello. I’m back. Been awhile. Son of a you-know-what. I cracked a rib two months ago. Bending over my grandson’s crib, putting him to sleep. Five days later, xray confirmed cracked rib. Then bone density confirmed progression of osteoporosis. Friends, eat well, take your calcium, exercise like your life depends on it. It does.

Now, let’s have some fun.

When I was a child, my mom used to work a few afternoons as a Hebrew School teacher. I’d stand, my nose pressed up against the window, waiting for her to come home and make dinner. Finally, after what felt like forever, she’d arrive home, dragging her you-know-what (there I go, that’s the second time I’ve used that phrase) into the kitchen. And tired as she was (she was bone-weary), she’d stand at the stove and cook dinner, or supper as we used to call it (which do you call it?). I think if she could’ve used my pressure cooker, she would’ve been a happy camper.

Would you like to cook Turkey Meatloaf in 12 minutes? Come on, you know you would. 12 freaking minutes. That’s all it takes in the pressure cooker.

Ok, it’s not the prettiest, I’ll admit. It doesn’t slice up into nice even, neat slices. It isn’t even all that crisp, which is generally how I like my meatloaf. But it far makes up for its’ insufficiencies with taste. And you can’t beat 12 minutes. Well, yes, it takes about 5 minutes to assemble it. And it takes about 10 minutes for the pot to come to pressure. But once that happens, the meatloaf takes 12 minutes. Unreal.

Lorna Sass is the queen of pressure cooking. I have two of her cookbooks. Pressure Perfect is fabulous – this recipe was adapted from her meatloaf recipe.

Italian Turkey Meatloaf

freshly ground pepper
    1 c. grated asiago cheese
    1 tsp dried oregano
    1 tsp dried basil
    1/3 c. oil-packed sun-dried tomatoes, chopped
    10 oz mushrooms, sliced

Spray the bottom of a collapsible steamer basket with the cooking spray.

After beating eggs in a large bowl, add remaining ingredients except for mushrooms. Mix until thoroughly blended. Transfer mixture to steamer basket, pressing into disc shape. Use your pointer finger to “drill” out a hole for the center spoke of basket. Spread some ketchup over the top of meatloaf, followed by sliced mushrooms.

Pour 2 cups of water into pressure cooker. Then add steamer basket.

Lock lid in place. Over high heat, bring pot to high pressure, then reduce heat enough to maintain the high pressure. Cook for 12 minutes. After turning off heat, quick release pressure by running cold water over pressure cooker lid. Remove the lid, tilting it away from you in order for steam to escape.

The meatloaf is finished when a thermometer reads 170 degrees. Let it rest in the steamer basket for at least 5 minutes before serving.

Now you know why I love my pressure cooker. Dinner on the table in less than 30 minutes. And in addition to the meatloaf, it includes sweet petite peas and mashed potatoes. Hot damn.

@CityLifeEats June 19, 2011 at 11:15 pm

Oh Ellen – so sorry to hear it – hope you are feeling better. Super impressive on the pressure cooker :)

Gluten Free Diva June 26, 2011 at 11:38 am

Hi Val – thank you for stopping by. Yes, I am feeling better. And yes, even I am still impressed when I make something in the PC. It's not to be believed – you really must give it a try!

Ricki June 19, 2011 at 11:30 pm

Welcome back–and so sorry to hear about your rib! Hope it's all mended now. Crazy you could do that bending over a crib!! Now, a 12-minute supper (which is what we called it) sounds great to me. :)

Gluten Free Diva June 26, 2011 at 11:37 am

Crazy isn't it?! 12 minutes and supper is on the table! Thanks for stopping by Ricki!

Shirley @ gfe June 20, 2011 at 7:44 am

Ellen, that looks and sounds delicious to me! I'm all about quick and easy while tasting good. I need pressure cooker lessons (true!) so I do my fast meat loaf in the microwave. I know not everyone likes to use them much though, including me. So this is a great alternative–thanks!

Glad you're back with us and hope you can give that osteoporosis the boot in the future!

xo,
    Shirley

Gluten Free Diva June 20, 2011 at 8:12 am

Shirley…call me anytime for pressure cooker lessons. I'd be only too happy to help! And yes, I've got my best kicking boots on to help fight the osteoporosis. Thank you friend.Sent from my iPhone

Diane Eblin June 20, 2011 at 8:19 am

This looks wonderful. It may be the first thing I cook in my pressure cooker I got in December. Have not had time to learn how to use it. It's a fancy Jamie Oliver one from GB. It would be wonderful if you did a whole pressure cooker series. I have to try this meatloaf!

Gluten Free Diva June 26, 2011 at 11:37 am

You are a brilliant woman. A whole PC series – hmmmm, sounds like a good idea. We must talk!!!

InTolerant Chef June 21, 2011 at 5:36 am

I so need a pressure cooker, I was thinking of getting one of the new ones that are bothe pressure cooker and slow cooker (obviously not at the same time!) I love the idea of dinner in 12minutes!

Gluten Free Diva June 26, 2011 at 11:36 am

Ooh – a PC and a SC in one. Didn't know it existed. I will be on the lookout, for sure!

deb_glutenfree July 13, 2011 at 9:41 am

If I don't have a pressure cooker, what would be the cooking instructions for the oven?

Gluten Free Diva July 22, 2011 at 9:21 am

When I cook meatloaf in the oven, I usually let it go for about 1 1/2 – 2 hours. I like it really well-done and crispy around the edges. Hope that helps!

Kim- Cook It AF June 21, 2011 at 1:01 pm

Hi my friend! I have missed you so! So glad to see this post from you! And, I have to admit that, like Shirley, I also need pressure cooking lessons. This recipe looks delicious. I might just have to borrow my Mother-in-laws pressure cooker and make it! ;)

wheat free desserts June 22, 2011 at 3:03 am

Nice website! Greetings from Glory Foods.

Stephanie June 25, 2011 at 2:46 pm

I don't make much from this site, too ambitious for my tast….I made this last PM, tasted great. It did not cook in 12 minutes or 17 for that matter. I was pressed for time so I cut into slices and threw it in the frying pan. Delicious. I am already planning to make it again, and will plan to cook it longer.

Gluten Free Diva June 26, 2011 at 11:33 am

Hi Stephanie – I totally understand what you mean about the recipes being ambitious. One of the things about gluten free cooking and gluten free baking is that I'm in the kitchen ALOT! While some of the recipes have VERY long ingredient lists, others are quicker and easier. If you're looking for anything in particular, please feel free to contact me and I'll be happy to help you. Meanwhile, just a heads up – I want to clarify that the short cooking time for the meat loaf is because I made it in a pressure cooker where cooking time is significantly reduced. If I had cooked it in the oven, it would've taken at least an hour if not longer. Anyway, glad you liked the recipe!

Stephanie June 30, 2011 at 9:14 pm

I have been pressure cooking since the late 60's. Love that it is so efficient particularly in the summer…. Some times it is not that much quicker, but the FLAVOR is better….. I made the meat loaf again tonight because I loved it (and someone else ate all the leftovers), 20 minutes…perfect in my Kuhn Rikon! Thanks for sharing that recipe.

Gluten Free Diva July 22, 2011 at 9:23 am

Stephanie – we are definitely in the same club! So glad you liked the meatloaf recipe. Stay in touch!

Chelsea August 2, 2011 at 12:30 pm

Glad you are enjoying your Kuhn Rikon pressure cooker. Thanks for the shout out!

Stephanie July 1, 2011 at 9:48 pm

I thought this might interest you if you con't subscribe to Celiact. I think I read you had some bone loss.

Peter July 13, 2011 at 9:22 am

Thanks for the recipe! So delicous and in such a short time. Love it.

Gluten Free Diva July 22, 2011 at 9:22 am

I know – isn't it amazing how little time it takes to cook meatloaf (or anything for that matter) in the pressure cooker??!!!

tastyeatsathome July 15, 2011 at 3:44 pm

This sounds so tasty. And your photo, while your meatloaf (as you say) isn't the prettiest, the photo looks great! Good job!

Gluten Free Diva July 22, 2011 at 9:20 am

Thanks Alta! Yes, the deliciousness made up for the photo! Actually, it isn't really the photo as much as it is the fact that meatloaf made in the pressure cooker just doesn't look as photogenic as when I make it in the oven. Doesn't have those nice crispy edges, for one thing. And the onions don't get as carmelized. But still, it's yummy!

@BlueStarVermont October 7, 2011 at 7:51 am

I am so happy I just discovered your blog. I am adding this recipe to my list. Don't have a pressure cooker, so I think I'll pop it in the oven,try it out & see if it motivates me to get a pressure cooker. Hope you are healing. It is amazing how our bodies give us these experiences which help us pause and maybe wake us up.

Chloe Boggs October 27, 2011 at 3:29 am

Whoever said that living a gluten-free life is such a pain in the neck didn't know about your blog! :) This makes me salivate!

Gluten Free November 18, 2011 at 5:10 am

WOW ! this is delicious recipe.Thanks for sharing this recipe , its really nice blog……….
    Gluten Free Recipes