• Four Grain Hot & Savory Breakfast Cereal

Post image for Four Grain Hot & Savory Breakfast Cereal

by Ellen on July 22, 2011 · 20 comments

Gluten Free + Savory + Hot + Breakfast Cereal? In one recipe? Are you kidding? The first time I made this, I had to practically kidnap my taste buds and if that weren’t enough, I had to perform a major con job to convince them that hot breakfast cereal could be anything other than totally sweet. It was an Oscar performance, to be sure.

I’ve made and posted about other gluten free hot breakfast cereals that include Genius Breakfast Cereal and Hearty Four Grain Hot Cereal. But always on the lookout for something a little outside of the box, this recipe for Savory “Cheezy” Oatmeal with Shitake Mushrooms from Happy Healthy Long Life caught my eye. This blogger is AMAZING! Her blogposts are unbelievably thorough. Ya’ gotta check her out.

While it’s a bit of a patschkee (that’s a Yiddish word for something that is, um, sort of, well, let’s see….a lot of hoo hah to do for something) to make this cereal, each time I sit down and spoon the multi-grain textures into my mouth, I remind myself that not only is it a nutritional powerhouse, it’s also homerun-out-of-the-ballpark delicious and worth the effort. And yes, while it’s easier to pour myself a bowl of Gluten Free cold breakfast cereal with almond milk (and sometimes I do), I know that by eating this Four Grain Hot & Savory Breakfast Cereal, I’m feeding myself a much healthier breakfast chock full of manganese, mangesium, selenium, B1, phosphorus, fiber, and amino acids that include lysine, methionine and cycteine. I bet you don’t get that with Corn Flakes. For more info on the nutritional profile of the grains and kale in this cereal, check here and here and here and here and here.

Oh, and what about the greens that get added to this recipe? The sky’s the limit. This morning, chopped fresh kale made an appearance. What a great way to get an extra dose of amazing nutrition in a little bowl of cereal!

Did I mention that I made it in a pressure cooker? Me, I’m a pressure cooker maniac. I have two of them, though I favor my Kuhn Rikon. This totally amazing piece of equipment is a timesaver. In fact, it took more time to pull the ingredients together than it did to cook it. Four minutes under high pressure. About 3 minutes natural release. While cooking it and releasing the steam, I returned the ingredients back to their rightful place in my pantry, straightened up the kitchen, and then sat down to a hot, steamy bowl of stick-to-your-ribs breakfast cereal.

Four Grain Hot & Savory Breakfast Cereal

click here for printable recipe

1 tbsp millet
    1 tbsp rolled oats
    1 tbsp quinoa
    1 1/2 tsp amaranth
    2/3 cup water or vegetable stock
    1/3 c. milk (I used almond milk)
    2 tsp nutritional yeast (I use KAL)
    dash of turmeric
    1/16 tsp chili powder
    1/16 tsp paprika
    1/16 tsp garlic powder
    1/16 tsp onion powder
    few grinds of freshly ground black pepper
    1 tbsp agave
    5 sun-dried tomatoes, julienned
    5 dried shitake mushrooms (or any dried mushrooms), snipped into tiny pieces
    1 oz kale, chopped

Rinse the grains. Place into the pressure cooker. Add the remaining ingredients. Lock the lid in place and bring to high pressure. Once it reaches high pressure, reduce to simmer (maintaining the high pressure) for 4 minutes. Remove pressure cooker from burner and allow pressure to reduce naturally. Once reduced, remove lid, mix cereal and serve.

Enjoy!

Alissa July 23, 2011 at 7:47 am

Great to see you trying a savory breakfast – think they're underrated, and so many options once you are open to experimenting with ingredients.

Gluten Free Diva July 23, 2011 at 9:23 am

Hi Alisa!! Thx for stopping by! Now that I've tried one savory option, my mind is reeling with new possibilities. Where to start??!!?Sent from my iPhone

Shirley @ gfe July 23, 2011 at 12:22 pm

I really like savory breakfast options, Ellen. They are so much more appealing to me than sweet. I'm a big fan of leftovers for breakfast, but really like this idea, too. I follow HHLL so I'd seen that recipe before. I do get a lot of great info from her blog. Think I'd throw in some spinach instead of kale in this one … personal preference. ;-)

Happy weekend, dear! xo,
    Shirley

tastyeatsathome August 5, 2011 at 3:00 pm

This is so unique. I love savory breakfasts, so why not? Mushrooms sound perfect. Kale? Even better!

Gluten Free Diva August 6, 2011 at 7:17 am

I know what you mean Alta! Any time I can work kale into my daily eats, I'm a happy gluten free diva:)!Sent from my iPhone

GetSkinny GoVegan August 21, 2011 at 12:28 am

Looks really good. Do you buy millet & oats in special packages made in GF facility or not worry too much about that?? I am unsure about that & also legumes! Whether they need to be bought "special".

Diane Eblin August 23, 2011 at 3:08 pm

Yay a recipe for the pressure cooker. I'm determined to get mine out and use it for the first time. Should I make this or something else first?

courtney teas September 29, 2011 at 6:46 pm
    Jeanette November 9, 2011 at 7:45 pm

Now that is a healthy hearty bowl for breakfast – packed with everything good! I've been seeing some savory porridges for breakfast, but this one has so much more in it.

Alex November 19, 2011 at 10:43 pm

Thanks for the great post. My gf is on a gluten free diet and this will help a ton

Turkey Burgers

Gluten Free Diva January 20, 2012 at 9:18 pm

Great to hear. They're quick and easy and tasty. Thanks for stopping by!

Rebecca Bowers December 3, 2011 at 8:34 pm

Just wondering if you know if Oats are gluten free, to my knowledge they have gluten?

Gluten Free Diva January 20, 2012 at 9:17 pm

Oats in and of themselves don't contain gluten, but if they're grown in fields that had gluten grown in them previously or are stored or packaged in a facility that also processes gluten, they can become contaminated. Best to buy oats that are certified GF. Hope that helps!

May and Eng February 9, 2012 at 12:12 am

Hi!! We are working on a Gluten Free wikispace. We had a choice of special diets but we were inspired with gluten free blogs such as this one. Can you please have a look at it and give us some feedback?

Thank you!!!

Ricki February 24, 2012 at 8:11 am

I love savory breakfasts, but can you believe I’ve never tried savory grains for brekkie? This sounds so good–and looks great, too. Gotta try! :)

Gluten Free Diva January 31, 2012 at 11:56 am

Ooh, I love the zucchini, onions, mushrooms and thyme. I\’ll add that to my breakfast options for my oatmeal!! Thank you!