• Steamed Tofu & Broccoli with Almond Butter Sauce

by Ellen on January 16, 2012 · 29 comments

Gluten free Almond Butter Sauce (kind of like Peanut Sauce), three nights in a row. With steamed tofu and broccoli. Each night, after I took the last bite, I licked the plate. Girl Scout’s honor.

If you’re looking for fast, easy, Gluten free Chinese food, this should do the trick. From start to finish, it takes just about 20 minutes. Unless you count the time it took to cook the brown basmati rice, but I had this dish without rice the first night, made the rice in my pressure cooker the second night and in my rice cooker the third night. Pressure cooker cooks brown rice in about half hour including bringing the pot to high pressure, rice cooker takes about an hour to cook brown rice.

There are lots of great Gluten Free Asian recipes online. Three of my faves are Book of Yum’s Yummy Grilled Tofu. Heidi from 101 Cookbooks has a recipe for Miso Vegetables & Tofu. Shauna, the Gluten Free Girl has a recipe for Roasted Tofu with Gluten Free Dipping Sauce. All three recipes are keepers.

I’ve made so many different kinds of peanut sauces and while they all have their unique flavors, this one was perfect with this dish. Plus I’m really steering away from peanut butter these days. Peanuts can be a source of mold and that is a new allergy of mine, so I subbed in almond butter.

I’ve always been a broccoli fan, but even more so now that I’ve learned what a nutritional powerhouse it is. You see, I’m studying to be a Holistic Health & Wellness Coach through the Institute for Integrative Nutrition and am knee deep (happily so) in studying 100 different dietary theories. So much information to learn and absorb. So interesting!

Are there any words that make you wanna hurl? Bile is one of those words for me. And yet, there it is, a very important part of our body. The liver secretes bile and stores it in the gallbladder. It helps us digest fats. There’s more I could tell you about bile, but let’s stop there for now. Suffice it to say that broccoli is high in fiber, and when it’s steamed, it does a better job of binding with bile in your digestive tract  as opposed to when it’s eaten raw, believe it or not. And when you eat steamed broccoli, it contributes to lowering cholesterol.  Great at detoxing your body of unwanted toxins. And it’s a great anti-inflammatory.

Kids like broccoli too. Well, at least mine did. I used to give them “broccoli trees”. Great for dipping in sauces, great for pudgy little toddler fingers to grab onto and shove in their mouthes!

The rice was cooked before I started cooking the tofu and broccoli. I bought a bag of organic broccoli pieces (not the whole broccoli) from Trader Joe’s. And a container of Trader Joe’s Organic Extra Firm Tofu. I drained the tofu, cut it into small chunks, threw it into the steamer basket, threw the broccoli on top of the tofu, steamed it for 15 minutes. Better to err on the side of under steaming than turning the broccoli to mush. Poured it into a serving dish. Passed the sauce separately. Yum. See if you don’t lick the plate.

Alisa January 16, 2012 at 11:01 pm

This is one of my favorite recipes! My variation is just slightly different, but oh so comforting. Glad you are back Ellen! I hope the studies are going well.

Gluten Free Diva January 16, 2012 at 11:26 pm

Thx Alisa! Glad to be back!!! Thx for stopping by! Miss you!Warmly,~Ellen

Wendy January 17, 2012 at 10:33 am

It makes me so happy to see you back! Your Spicy Peanut Sesame Noodles recipe is still one of my favorites and this has many of the same flavors going on.

Gluten Free Diva January 20, 2012 at 8:32 pm

Love those Spicy Peanut Sesame Noodles, though I\’d prob sub in almond butter since I\’m trying to stay away from peanut butter (even though I LOVE it!). Thanks for stopping by Wendy!

Ina January 18, 2012 at 8:22 am

Ellen – your Almond Sauce sounds wonderful! I think I would like it better that Peanut Sauce, and I know for sure my DH would be in heaven. I must make this soon, thanks for sharing!

Gluten Free Diva January 20, 2012 at 8:31 pm

Hi Ina,

I\’m staying clear of peanuts because they are very moldy. I\’m trying to do an anti-candida diet, and moldy foods are off limits (cheeses with rinds, mushrooms, peanut butter…). As it turns out, I like the almond butter sauce even better than the peanut butter sauce. I\’ve made it four times in the last week!!!

Gluten Free Diva January 20, 2012 at 9:12 pm

Thanks! It is heavenly, if I don't say so myself!

Diane Eblin January 22, 2012 at 4:11 pm

This sauce sounds great. I think I'll make some for my Chinese New Year meal. YUM! Glad to hear you're having fun at IIN. I can't believe I graduate in 2 weeks!

Gluten Free Diva January 22, 2012 at 6:19 pm

Great idea Diane!!!! Chinese New Year. Perfect! Congrats on finishing IIN shortly! It's fabulous!~Ellen

Jan January 23, 2012 at 10:00 am

Glad you are back! Great food!

Gluten Free Diva January 23, 2012 at 10:30 am

Thanks Jan! Me too! With my Holistic Health coaching practice rarin' to go!~Ellen

Laurel January 24, 2012 at 5:35 am

This aounds amazing. I am making this tonight!

Gluten Free Diva January 24, 2012 at 6:42 am

Yay! Please come back and tell me how it came out! Tweak the sauce as needed….,more or less agave etc. I made it four times during the week I blogged about it!!!~Ellen

Laurel January 29, 2012 at 7:35 pm

It was fabulous! A nice twist on a peanut sauce. I did need to modify because my husband hates ginger and garlic. So i put those in my rice and not his. I was nervous on the agave but it was just perfect for my taste buds. Lots of leftover sauce for the rest of the week. I also dry fried the tofu. Very good recipe, thanks for posting this!

Gluten Free Diva January 31, 2012 at 11:48 am

Hey Laurel – I think the garlic and ginger are critical to the sauce, but I really like the way you amended the recipe so that your husband would like it as well. And yes, the sauce is such a nice twist to peanut sauce. I\’m a big advocate of reducing peanut consumption – they\’re very high in mold, one of my own personal issues/allergies. Plus I really love the taste of the almond butter. I\’ve also been experimenting with no-sugar Sunflower butter and I LOVE it! Anyway, glad you liked it. Thanks for much for stopping by! Be well!

kim January 27, 2012 at 3:08 pm

hmm, I can't get almond butter around here, but the recipe looks good. You made a comment on my recipe blog–about Esselstyn. Lately I have added back some chicken and fish and this is because I always felt hungry. It may be because of the low fat diet, or something. I tried sticking to it for most of a year and then switched back to adding occasional small portions of fish and chicken—I wonder if having to do gluten free is part of my problem–wonder if gluten –wheat–fills you more.

Ellen February 7, 2012 at 6:43 pm

Kim, did you know you can make your own almond butter? Just grind almonds in a food processor or blender. Easy peasy. Hey, I bet that gluten/wheat fills you up – or at least for me, I can say that it did – it also bloated me to high heavens. I can’t speak directly to Esselstyn’s program, though my sister has taken it to heart completely, no pun intended. She’s been faithful to it for about 5 weeks and is feeling great. I think you have to do what is right for YOUR body. If you feel that you need or want to eat fish and chicken, go for it.

Juice January 28, 2012 at 10:08 am

It sounds yummy…but one question. Did you lick the plate holding it up or was there so much sauce you had to leave it on the table? Either way sounds good to me.

Ellen February 7, 2012 at 6:44 pm

Ha! Ha! So funny! Ummmm, I bent down to the plate and licked it:).

Martha February 3, 2012 at 12:50 pm

Nice to see you back, and I'm glad your studies are going well! We've been on a big broccoli kick around here, too. I'm happy to hear it's such a beneficial vegetable!

Ellen February 7, 2012 at 6:44 pm

Hi Martha – thank you! Yes, I’m LOVING the Institute for Integrative Nutrition program. I’m halfway through and have begun taking clients. It’s a most fascinating program and I’m so happy to be involved in it. Thanks for stopping by!

Bethany@Modernhomemakers February 9, 2012 at 9:22 pm

Great blog. Your recipes look amazing. We make a lot of Asian meals and discovered recently two of us have gluten intolerances and one has a peanut allergy. I didn’t think of subbing almond butter for peanut butter. Genius!

Ellen February 14, 2012 at 8:58 pm

Thanks Bethany! Yeah, the almond butter IS a great sub for peanut butter. I use it in my almost daily chocolate smoothies.

Cesar Hernandez February 14, 2012 at 12:03 am

Dear Ellen,
    Thanks for sharing this wonderful recipe. It sounds amazing, tasty and delicious. My son has celiac disease and we always appreciate great recipes like this.
    Great posting!

Ellen February 14, 2012 at 9:00 pm

Thanks Cesar! I agree, it’s really helpful to have a library of easy, go-to recipes. I do a ton of cooking at home and am really happy with easy comfort type foods. This is one of those kinds of recipes. And as for your son, I guess, in a way, it’s nice that you can share your gluten free eating with each other:). Plus, he can watch you as you responsibly take charge of your health and plan and cook your meals accordingly. Keep up the good work!

Cesar Hernandez February 14, 2012 at 9:23 pm

Thanks Ellen, great website!

mohit November 15, 2012 at 12:58 pm

Really its a great blog. Your recipes look amazing. We make a lot of Asian meals and discovered recently two of us have gluten intolerances and one has a peanut allergy. I didn’t think of subbing almond butter for peanut butter. Genius! find out this site about Carrot Soup, Carrot Soup, and more Carrot Soup.

Ellen January 7, 2013 at 11:11 am

Dear Mohit – thank you! Yes, I stay as far away from peanut butter as I can, since it is one of the most moldy foods on the planet. And almond butter stands in perfectly!