• Gluten Free, Dairy Free, Egg Free Waffles

by Ellen on February 18, 2012 · 29 comments

I have a new gluten free best friend and her name is Iris and she writes this amazing blog called The Daily Diatribe and I’ve been following her for years and she totally rocks. There, I said it. Why does she rock? Because she did a TON of work to figure out how to make gluten free, dairy free and egg free waffles, giving me (and you) the opportunity to just throw the ingredients together and cook up some delicious waffles. Crisp waffles indeed! Oh, I’ve tried making waffles. I’ve posted about them here and here and here. But none of them come even close to the delicious perfection of this recipe for this gluten free diva. And one of the best things is that sometimes gluten free waffles can be gummy. Not sure if that’s from the amount of starches used or the xanthan or guar gums. But these waffles aren’t the least bit gummy.

You have to read her post to believe it. She experimented for three days. Three days, I tell you! She made over 24 batches of pancakes AND waffles. Iris, you are my gluten free hero. You just made my gluten free life much sweeter.

I followed her recipe exactly as posted. FYI, I cut the recipe in half and still ended up with almost four single waffles. I used 3/4 c. Almond Flour (Honeyville or Nuts Online – either are excellent) and 1/4 cup Potato Starch. And I used water as my liquid. Iris notes that the potato starch is key. I took her at her word. I used the smaller amount of water (1/4 cup) and that was enough. Depending on the flours/starches you use, your climate, the temperature of your kitchen and your waffle iron, you might need a different amount of water. This is my waffle iron. It produces excellent results.

These were indeed crispy. I want to try using either eggs or chia egg replacer next time, just to see if they can be a tad fluffier. But still, no complaints from me. They were delicious and crisp as is. Lots of little nooks and crannies for the melted Earth Balance and real maple syrup to pool. Oh, and did I mention, these gluten free waffles were really crisp?:)

Thank you Iris. You are da’ gluten free bomb.

Melissa February 18, 2012 at 5:10 pm

You found my weakness with waffles. I find them very zen-ish. It’s what’s not there that is so important. The empty divots where all the syrup can accumulate. =) I always use Pamela’s baking mix if I’m going to make waffles, but I’ll definitely try this recipe of Iris’ since I have the ingredients (including some organic Vermont maple syrup). It sound delightful and I love crispy waffles. Yes, it is easy to be gluten-free when you have resources like this! Thanks…
    Melissa

Kelly February 18, 2012 at 6:18 pm

These sound delicious, Ellen (and Iris). Thank you. I can’t wait to give them a try. Sunday morning waffles, here we come…yummy!

Ellen March 15, 2012 at 10:00 am

Hi Kelly,

You’re welcome!!!! I know you’re gonna love them!

Alisa Fleming February 19, 2012 at 11:47 am

Though I’ve never thought of waffles as “zen” (love that Melissa), I do adore them! I’d take a waffle over a pancake anyday. I often eat them more like toast though, slathering with nut butter and cinnamon!

These look amazing Ellen, and I definitely trust your taste buds enough to believe that these are the best!

Ellen March 15, 2012 at 9:54 am

Toast! Now that’s another interesting way to use waffles. Why not? Just make an extra batch, freeze them, and pop ‘em in the toaster for a yummy and healthy snack. Way to go Alisa!

Stephanie February 20, 2012 at 11:34 am

Oh my GF goodness! I haven’t had a fresh waffle in 3 years and I was looking for the perfect pre-lenten splurge. THIS IS IT! I could not wait for Fat Tuesday, I made them today. Thanks for sharing this recipe.

Ellen March 15, 2012 at 9:53 am

Hi Stephanie! What a great idea to use these as a special splurge. I couldn’t think of a better way to splurge (um, unless you added some cocoa to the batter and maybe sprinkled the finished waffles with a lot of chocolate chips!).

Shirley @ gfe February 21, 2012 at 9:51 am

I’ve made Iris’ waffles before and raved over them. I even turned some into sandwich waffles by using tomato juice in place of part of the liquid. They were incredible! You did a great job with these, Ellen. :-)

Shirley

Ellen March 15, 2012 at 9:52 am

Shirley – what a great idea to sub tomato juice for some of the liquid. I love how versatile we can be with our GF recipes. It’s really fun to look at baking as an adventure. I also love the idea of using the waffles for sandwiches – I remember first reading about that idea on Karina’s (Gluten Free Goddess) blog. She also turned me onto the idea of using them for breadcrumbs. Thanks for stopping by girlfriend!

Iris February 21, 2012 at 10:51 am

Thanks Ellen! I’m so flattered you tried them and liked them! Of course, your cinnamon rolls were my first EVER gluten-free baking experiment, so maybe you can take the credit for starting me on this path in the first place. ;)

Maybe a couple of egg whites folded into the batter would make them fluffier? That’s my mom’s only complaint for these waffles too…if you try that or something else that gives them more oomph, come and leave a comment on the post for readers to know!

Ellen March 15, 2012 at 9:50 am

Ah, Iris. You flatter me. Thank you for the kind words. I’m delighted to know I got your started!!! I will definitely try folding in a couple of egg whites and see if that makes a difference. And if it does, I’ll add a note to the post, for sure. Be well! I can’t wait to see your new book!!!!

Possum Combes February 21, 2012 at 9:09 pm

When I was in the States & desperate for a healthier breakfast than what the hotel/motel offered… I used their waffle mix & just added more water & chia seeds into the mix… Came out fine & at least was a tad better at helping me avoid the sugar rush & wheat craving & filled me up more than I would have got from the regular mix…;-)

Bethany @Modernhomemakers February 24, 2012 at 12:14 pm

These look divine. This morning I made waffles from a Simply Organic mix which was good but I thought to myself, “How can I do this better and more economically?” Thank you for sharing Iris’s recipe!

Carol, Simply Gluten-Free February 29, 2012 at 9:07 am

You really are The Gluten Free Diva! These waffles look divine!

Ellen March 15, 2012 at 9:31 am

Thanks Carol! I do so like being the Gluten Free Diva:). The waffles were pretty divine – very crispy which is how I like my waffles. Can’t wait to see your new book!!!

Megan March 3, 2012 at 11:36 pm

These sounds amazing, waffles are the one breakfast I love but never have! Now I have an awesome recipe! Thanks

Ellen March 15, 2012 at 9:30 am

Hi Megan,

You’re welcome. By the way, if you want to use this basic recipe for waffles, my friend told me to reduce the yogurt to 3/4 cup instead of 1 cup AND eliminate the baking soda. I haven’t tried it so I can’t speak to it, but I will definitely be giving it a run this weekend as I LOVE waffles!!!

wendy March 15, 2012 at 8:52 pm

i use agave instead of syrup. Its low glycemic and tastes great

Celiac girl April 27, 2012 at 12:43 pm

Nice thank you! Gluten-free pancakes were the first thing I learned to make when I went GF. Without guidance it took 2 tries to get it right, wish I had known about your blog before I attempted them.

Diane July 25, 2012 at 2:46 pm

I tried the recipe with just under a cup of brown rice flour and just over 1/2c of almond flour. I did try it with 3T water and 1T ground chia seed to make up for 1 egg. I also used almond milk. The waffles were soooo good. Thank you for sharing the recipe.
    I am as of yesterday I am on a , gluten free, dairy free, mold free and candida free
    diet.
    Blessings My Friend,
    Diane

Molly July 25, 2012 at 7:43 pm

These look so good! I may have waffles for dinner….

Nancy July 30, 2012 at 12:38 pm

“this looks so good, I will have to try this!”

Ellen July 31, 2012 at 8:50 am

Nancy – let me know whatcha think, ok? Are you as crazy about waffles as I am??!??!

Karen August 15, 2012 at 6:50 pm

Do you have a flour you could recommend as the best replacement for the almond flour? We can’t do nuts either….. Hoping they can still be as crisp!
    Thanks,
    Karen

Jackie August 28, 2012 at 2:04 pm

I just made these this morning and O M G they were fantastic! I’d pretty much given up on making GF waffles. All the recipes I tried came out gummy and gross. I used 1c almond flour and 1/4 sorghum, bananas instead of applesauce, vanilla almond milk for the liquid and added Ener-G egg replacer for 1 egg. Awesome recipe! Thanks so much for sharing.

melody October 2, 2012 at 8:58 pm

I am looking for a gluten free chocolate chip waffle recipe that doesnt have xanthan gum in it. Please I have 10 year old that is a very articled diet and she can not have xanthan gum.