• Everyday Green Smoothie (and it’s gluten free!)

by Ellen on June 8, 2012 · 17 comments

Being the Gluten Free Diva comes with certain responsibilities, which I take very seriously. I take great pride in letting my readers know how important it is to eat lots of dark, leafy green vegetables every day. Enter stage right: the Green Smoothie. A perfect vehicle for getting in your fruits and veggies.

I decided, with two education degrees under my belt (Bachelors of Music Education/Performance and Masters of Education), it was high time I made a video and learned how to edit it in iMovie. It took awhile. Actually, it took a REALLY long time. But I didn’t mind because I had a blast learning the program.

So without further ado, please take a look at my first official Everyday Green Smoothie made using iMovie. The recipe is at the end of the video, and it’s also at the end of this post.

Everyday Green Smoothie

Ingredients

1/2 blender jar of curly kale, washed and torn into pieces

1 apple, cored and seeded

1 orange, peeled, white pith removed

1 banana, room temperature

1/2 banana, frozen

Grated rind from one lemon

Juice from one lemon

2 c. cold water

5 ice cubes

1 tbsp chia or flax seeds, optional (if you have time, soak in 1/4 c. water for about 10 minutes before adding)

1 tbsp fresh mint, optional

Instructions

1. Blend and enjoy!
    2. If you have any leftover, store in jar in frig. It lasts a couple of days but is best to drink as soon as possible after it's made.
    3. This works best in a strong blender like a Vitamix or Blendtec, but if you don't have one, don't let that stop you. Try making it in whatever blender you have, adding extra water as necessary to help the process along.

Lisa June 11, 2012 at 4:13 pm

Thanks for this recipe! Sounds like a tasty smoothie. It’s just a bonus that it’s also healthy :)

And a big congrats on putting together your first video! Looks great. I really need to get around to doing that on my site too- it’s so intimidating to think about, but at least the technology is easier and cheaper than ever for making videos.

Alisa Fleming June 12, 2012 at 6:34 pm

So that’s how the gluten-free diva stays looking so good and energetic!

Eleanor Meloul June 18, 2012 at 6:01 pm

Eleanor from Rudi’s Gluten-Free Bakery here! This looks like a wonderful pick me up! Can’t wait to go try it out:) thanks for sharing!

Caralyn @ glutenfreehappytummy June 23, 2012 at 2:21 pm

green smoothies rock! yay!

Ellen June 26, 2012 at 9:39 pm

Oh, yes, they rock big time. I have a pretty daily date with my green smoothies! I never get tired of trying different combinations – it seems endless, and is what makes it so interesting!

Trica Fecteau June 26, 2012 at 9:28 pm

Your smoothie is very similar to the one my husband makes most mornings before going to work. He adds avocado to the mix to give it extra thickness and protein for the long mornings before lunch. It’s amazing how most fruits and vegetables mix together and still taste good!

Ellen June 26, 2012 at 9:37 pm

First, let me say that I’m impressed that your husband makes his smoothie. Way to go! Second, yum to the idea of adding avocado – I bet it makes it really creamy, too. I know, it is totally amazing how much fruits and vegetables mix together and still taste good. In my health coaching program, I’ve learned that vegetables are one category and greens are their own category. I’ve been making TONS of smoothies – I post them most days on my Gluten Free Diva Facebook page (http://www.facebook.com/glutenfreediva.com). If you ever want to share a picture of your husband’s smoothies, I’d love to see them!

momgateway June 27, 2012 at 11:44 pm

Thanks, I’m trying this!

Rochelle | Simply Natural Ideas July 9, 2012 at 12:54 pm

Have I mentioned how snazzy your blog is Ellen? This videos are FUN aren’t they?? Looking forward to more adventures in Gluten-free DIVA LAND!! Talk soon! (BIG HUGS) Rochelle.

Terri July 15, 2012 at 1:19 pm

You are adorable, Ellen! SO much great information too–so appreciate all the gluten free recipes.

Ellen July 16, 2012 at 9:31 pm

Thanks Terri! So glad you stopped by! I’m going to begin posting more frequently, so stay tuned. I want to add lots more recipes and also include more info about my health coaching.

Nikki August 15, 2012 at 2:00 pm

Oh wow. I just made this and it is amazing! I’m new to gluten free living and I’m loving your recipes. Thanks for helping me make this transition so easy!

Andi September 5, 2012 at 5:38 pm

I’ve made this smoothie a few times but I substitute raw baby spinach instead of the kale. Very green but quite delicious!! Love your recipes.

Kristy Kelley September 25, 2012 at 12:55 pm

This green smoothie looks yummy! I’ve burned my 3 yr old out of smoothies, I think because she’s not drinking them anymore. But I think she might go for this one. I’m going to give it a try!

– Kristy @ Wine Logic

Sherrie September 26, 2012 at 9:05 pm

LOVE that you use the whole lemon! So many recipes only use the rind or just the juice. If you do not have Kale, Spinach or Romane Lettuce work great too! I am just getting into gluten free and working toward the Paleo meal planning. I am feeling better already. Keep blogging the recipes, they are so helpful. God Bless

Trisha Turner January 8, 2013 at 8:30 am

Just made this. My husband, myself, and my 3 yr. old “picky eater” all like it! That’s definitely a winning recipe in my books! I feel healthier already :D

Ellen January 9, 2013 at 5:26 pm

Fabulous! The more we can get our family to drink those green smoothies, the healthier they’ll be!