• My New Favorite Gluten Free Snacks

by Ellen on January 9, 2013 · 21 comments

I can eat an entire bag of Mary’s Gone Crackers Gluten Free Sticks & Twigs Sea Salt Pretzels in one sitting. I won’t. But I could. And I bet you could too. They’re that good.

I am not an affiliate. I have nothing to gain other than your undying love and devotion for introducing you to them. Mighty strong words for a silly stick. But once you taste these, you’ll understand what I’m talking about.

Plain. Dipped in hummus. Accompaniment to a salad. Spread with a thin layer of almond butter. They are divine. They have just that right combination of salt and crunch to satisfy anyone jonesing for a potato chip. Only they’re MUCH healthier. Brown rice, quinoa, sesame seeds, flax seeds, amaranth, millet and a few other ingredients. Great fiber, lots of super uber nutrition in a little stick. And unlike potato chips, the saturated fat in these sticks & twigs is negligible, hardly worth mentioning.

pretzel_seasalt_0

I also happen to love the Snyder’s Gluten Free Pretzel Sticks. But their ingredient list leaves this Gluten Free Diva health coach scrambling for the hills. Oh, I’ll still eat them. But not a steady diet of them. They are pure simple carbs and nothing more. They really have no redeeming qualities other than that they’re delicious.

8ozGFSTICKS

So, do tell. What are some of your favorite gluten free snacks?

P.S. Don’t forget to sign up for my newsletter. See the box in the right column with the bright green header. Just add your name and email and after you confirm your email address, you’ll immediately get 3 Gluten Free Bread recipes from me – my favorite ones. FREE!

zebe January 9, 2013 at 5:56 pm

I like having the GF pretzels as an equivalent to saltines. If I’m having a bad stomach day, it is nice to finally have something bland that I can eat to just fill & coat my stomach for a bit. Nut Thins and the seasame/rice/flax crackers just don’t do it for me, when I’m not sure my stomach can handle much of anything. I’m thankful to have something really basic to fall back on sometimes.

Ellen January 9, 2013 at 6:04 pm

Zebe – I know exactly how you feel! I don’t love the nut thins because they have dairy and my system doesn’t love dairy all that much. I do LOVE the pretzels but I have little to no self-control and really could eat an entire bag! I have more discipline, it seems, with the Mary’s Gone Crackers Sticks & Twigs:). LOL, being a health coach, you’d think me to be the picture of discipline!!! I have my weaknesses, though!

The Great Gordino January 9, 2013 at 6:17 pm

Hi Ellen,
    Is gluten free easy to get in the US?
    Here in the UK it is a growing market, but still viewed as a ‘niche’ section in supermarkets.

Cheers,
    Gordon

Ellen January 9, 2013 at 7:17 pm

Hey Gordon – yes, gluten free is pretty easy nowadays in the US. It’s in all the conventional supermarkets as well as the more healthy oriented ones. I feel very blessed indeed, given my need to stick to a strict gluten free diet.

Joan M January 9, 2013 at 6:23 pm

Thanks! I will look for these–they sound great, and I need to make better transitions to healthier eating. And, I plan to share with some friends who have gluten allergies.

Today in my blog, I listed taking care of your body as the #1 tip to a better life: http://www.lemonzestmarketing.com/zestyourlifeblog.php?s=improve-your-life-with-these-5-tips

Ellen January 9, 2013 at 7:19 pm

Joan – I couldn’t agree with you more. In my work as a Holistic Health Coach, I teach clients that it isn’t just about eating well, it’s about taking care of all parts of your life including stress management and having healthy relationships. But for sure, taking care of your body is a good place to start.

Hailey January 9, 2013 at 6:46 pm

Immaculate brand gluten free, dairy free chocolate chip cookies. I’m sure they’re make of not-very-nutritious things, but they are SO delicious.

Ellen January 9, 2013 at 7:19 pm

I’ve seen them Hailey. I would have no will power if I had them in my house!

Cheryl January 9, 2013 at 9:13 pm

Thank you so much for the post! My problem is finding gluten free products! Now I have found some!

Sharon January 9, 2013 at 9:50 pm

I’m a big fan of Glutino Crackers (Plain or Cheese). Great with hummus, cheese,or nut butter.

Ellen January 9, 2013 at 10:01 pm

Thanks Sharon! I’ve had those Glutino Crackers as well – great company!

Dot Hurley January 10, 2013 at 4:29 am

Like Gordon mentioned, here in the UK gluten free products are not so widely available and those that we do have are not generally that good. I generally advise my clients to go without rather than accept inferior substitutes. Personally I make my own flax crackers which fill that gap.

Alisa Fleming January 10, 2013 at 10:51 am

So great to see you back posting again Ellen! I can’t say that I’ve found a favorite packaged snack, but there are a few bars that I’ve been loving lately when out skiing and schtuff :)

Ellen January 10, 2013 at 10:54 am

Alisa – it’s good to BE back! It was a difficult 18 months, but I’m riding high once again! Good to hear from you my friend!

Laura January 10, 2013 at 6:19 pm

I looveeee Lentil Chips/Lentil Crackers from Mediterranean Snacks! They are great plain, with some hummus, or cheese.

Ellen January 10, 2013 at 6:20 pm

OOh, I’ve seen those Laura, but haven’t tried them. I bet they’re delicious. I think I’ve seen them at our local TJ Maxx which actually has a decent selection of gluten free snacks.

Kendall January 18, 2013 at 1:53 am

Ooh I am a big Snyders fan, but I have never had the Mary’s Gone Crackers Gluten Free Sticks, I can’t wait to give them a try! My local Albertsons recently added Glutino Bagel Chips to their gluten free aisle and I love them. I used to adore Melba Toast crackers and these are the closest I have found.

Thanks for the suggestions!

Ellen January 30, 2013 at 9:38 am

Hi Kendall…I too loved the Glutino Bagel Chips until I looked at the ingredients. One of the reasons they’re SOOO good is because of the salt and sugar content. I’m going to try to make my own bagel chips to control the amount of these ingredients, as I’ve been seriously trying to reduce how much I eat on a daily basis. But you’re right, they are delicious!

christy January 27, 2013 at 5:41 pm

My favorite snack is Enjoy Life’s Cocoa Loco bars. They’re low sugar with a heavenly chocolate flavor, have vitamins and are all-natural. Great when you get a sugar craving!

Ellen January 28, 2013 at 7:13 pm

Low in sugar has my name on it! Thanks for sharing – I’ll have to try those – they’ll be great for traveling and keeping in my purse!

Kelly February 6, 2013 at 3:09 pm

Flamous brand Falafel Chips. Divine!