This post is a result of showing my sister-in-law how to make gluten free, dairy free homemade almond milk and having her be amazed at how easy and delicious it was. I figured there would be others interested in making it from scratch, so I created this video.
I’ve been making it homemade for a few years, but will admit that of late, I’ve been buying it at the grocery store. That is until recently. I discovered that all (at least all of the ones I’ve checked out) alternative milks have carrageenan in them. And it is a carcinogen.
Read about it here. Dr. Weil is one of the most respected sources for this type of information.
I don’t know about you, but I’m a pretty busy woman. The thought of making homemade almond milk on a regular basis (it’s my milk of choice)???? I might’ve said ” no way” but after learning this news about carrageenan, I’ll be making my almond milk from here on in.
Won’t you give it a try? Come back and let me know how yours comes out, ok?!?
1 c. raw almonds (preferably soaked overnight)
4 c. water
2 - 3 medjool dates
2 tsp. agave syrup (or sweetener of choice)
1 tsp vanilla extract
pinch sea salt
- Put all ingredients in blender and mix on highest speed.
- When all ingredients are blended, pour resulting milk into paint straining (or nut bag) bag.
- Using a squeezing and/or twisting motion, extract all of the milk from the bag until only the pulp is left.
- Chill the milk until ready to use.
- Note: You can buy nut bags on amazon, and paint straining bags at your local hardware store.