When I went gluten free, it was the beginning of a journey that started with gluten free, added dairy free a year later, and morphed eventually into mostly plant-based. Not 100% vegan – probably 80/20. I’m so much happier and healthier than I used to be, almost 9 years since this all started.
Back then, before my Celiac diagnosis, I always followed the “divide your plate into three parts” philosphy. And the protein (meat, chicken, sometimes fish) was always way bigger than the other two sections.
Little did I know what was coming down the pike. Now, it’s the polar opposite. I’m mostly about vegetables and fruits and grains and beans and seeds, and I have to make room on my plate if there’s meat on the menu.
Take breakfast for example. Where before I would’ve had a couple of eggs and a few slices of bacon and a bagel, now I have hot cereal (like THIS
recipe for Hearty Four Grain Gluten Free Hot Cereal) or an apple with homemade granola and almond milk or I’ll make a smoothie packed with all kinds of powerful nutrients.
This morning, my breakfast consisted of a Pumpkin Pie Smoothie. It rocked my morning. I’m in love with this smoothie and can’t wait to have it again tomorrow:).
I have to put on my health coach hat and get kind of geeky about the nutritional goodness of pumpkin. Indulge me for a moment, please and thank you:).
- Wanna give those eyes a boost? Mashed cooked pumpkin has more than a whopping 200% of your recommended daily intake of vitamin A. And if that weren’t enough, the carotenoids in pumpkin offer additional protection for your peepers.
- Ready to increase your fiber intake and feel fuller longer? Yup, you guessed it. Pumpkin.
- There is evidence that beta-carotene, which our lovely pumpkin contains, may play a role in cancer prevention.
- Interested in keeping wrinkles at bay? The carotenoids in pumpkin come into play here as well.
So, bottom line. While they look lovely on our front porches, either buy yourself a pie pumpkin, roast it and use for making your smoothie or make a can of organic pumpkin puree and go to town making this smoothie.
Heads up before you make this recipe: the doTERRA OnGuard Essential Oil
is optional but adds the yummiest of fall flavors to this smoothie PLUS I use it for all kinds of other things including keeping me healthy throughout the winter. It is a powerful anti-viral tool in my medicine cabinet. If you don’t use it, double up on the pumpkin pie spice.
This recipe is one of the recipes in my Gluten Free Diva Fall Clean Eating Challenge
. If you want more info, or are ready to make the commitment to quit gluten or finally get off the diet roller coaster, come on along and join. Got questions? Email me at [email protected]
Perfect Pumpkin Pie Smoothie
1 c. almond milk
1/2 c. canned pumpkin purée
1 frozen banana
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 tsp pumpkin pie seasoning
1 - 2 tsp ground chia
optional: 1 tbsp raw honey
optional: 2 drops doTERRA OnGuard Essential Oil (perfect complement to this smoothie PLUS anti-viral properties)
1 big handful ice
- Put all ingredients in a blender jar and blend. Pour into a tall glass and enjoy your pumpkin goodness.